The Forgotten Units

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: The Artistocrats, Order of Battle Moderators

Horst
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

The Forgotten Units

Post by Horst »

Following units are missed from 39-41 that could have been available in the current official campaigns:

most nations
AT modes for most artillery/AA guns/vehicles
mules as pack animal transport

Britain
Morris C8 Quad light truck
Matador heavy truck
Rolls Royce AC recon vehicle
Daimler Dingo recon vehicle
Cruiser Mk.IV tank
QF 3 inch 20 cwt heavy AA
BL 6 inch 26 cwt heavy artillery
Westland Lysander recon plane
Sunderland recon sea plane
Swordfish tactical bomber (spotted on Kriegsmarine screenshots)
Hampden strategic bomber
Wellington Mk.IC strategic bomber
Whitley MK.V strategic bomber
many ships we’re hopefully going to see in the upcoming Kriegsmarine

Finland
HE-115

France
French Engineers
French Cavalry
105mm mle 1913 artillery
Potez 63.11 heavy fighter
LeO 451 strategic bomber

Germany
German Brandenburger commandos
German Kradschützen/Kübelwagen recon inf
German Cavalry
MB L 4500 heavy truck
SdKfz 10+11+6/1+8+9 artillery tractors
BMW R12, R75, Zündapp KS750 motorcycle recon units
Kübelwagen recon vehicle
Pz.2E+F+G recon tanks
Pz.2 Flamingo flamethrower tank
15 cm sIG 33 towed artillery (4600 built compared to only 38 Sturmpanzer I)
21 cm K12 (E) from BoB mod
24 cm K 3 siege artillery
28 cm Wurfrahmen 40 rocket artillery
28 cm K 5 (E) railgun
60/54 cm Mrs Gerät 040/41 (Karl & Co.)
SdKfz 10/5 AA-vehicle
2 cm Flak 38 from BoB mod
DFS 230 transport glider
Fi 156 recon plane
Fw 189 recon plane
He 115 recon sea plane (soon in Kriegsmarine?)
Bv 138 sea plane (possibly spotted in Kriegsmarine screenshots)
Fw 200 strategic bomber (possibly spotted in Kriegsmarine screenshots)
Do 215/217 tactical/strategic bomber
Ju 87R tactical bomber (most likely in Kriegsmarine soon)
Ju 88A4 tactical/strategic bomber from BoB mod
Invasion Barge from BoB mod

Poland
Polish Mountain Troops
75 mm wz.36St AA gun
RWD 8 recon plane
Lublin R.XIII recon/light bomber
PZL P-7a fighter

Norway
He 115

USSR
T-60 light/recon tank
T-35 heavy tank
KV-1 obr 1940 heavy tank
25 mm obr 1940 AA
280 mm obr 1939 siege artillery
Last edited by Horst on Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:22 pm, edited 4 times in total.
kondi754
General - Elite King Tiger

Re: The Forgotten Units

Post by kondi754 »

You forgot about the motorcycles BMW R12, R75, Zündapp KS750 (Germany)
PZL P-7a fighter, RWD 8 recon plane, Lublin R.XIII recon/light bomber, Polish infantry with excellent anti-tank rifles, 75mm wz.36St anti-aircraft gun (Poland)
The list is certainly incomplete and can show many examples of units not included.
Horst

Post by Horst »

I've mainly added those PC units and others I've added for myself there the past. Feel free to add whatever I have forgotten! :)
There is already the KS 750 motorcycle recon unit in the game, but rather only as bonus unit for a Jap campaign.
Sure, Kradschützen as infantry units would be great too. These are replaced later by motorized Kübelwagen and Schwimmwagen recon inf units.

PS: I'm going to add other suggestions in the original post if someone thinks some units should really be included. There are for sure hundreds of other forgotten weapon systems, but many are also rare. I wouldn't like the game filled by too many exotic prototype units.
About the anti-tank rifles in Polish infantry units: it was indeed quite common, more than the German PzB.38/39. It would be justified to increase the mechanized attack of Polish inf units by at least one point, but the vanilla game rather balances all infantry units of any nation too stingy with same values.
kondi754

Post by kondi754 »

It seems to me it is worth to write about the different types of weapons, even those forgotten.
bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by bebro »

IIRC the SdKfz 10/5 AA is in the game? Unless I'm confusing it with something else....

However, without going into detail I can say there are some units from that list that will show up certainly, in Kriegsmarine or....elsewhere ;)

No promises for everything though.

Some could also be modded in by just cloning existing units, but yeah I'm aware that not everyone wants to go into that. But an example would be further KV versions.
Erik2
Order of Battle Moderator

Post by Erik2 »

I have experimented a bit with adding new units as duplicates of existing ones. It works until the next official update.
Then you need to paste all modded units into the official units.csv and txt files. And you can bet something will stop the game working until you find the issues and fix them. Every time this happened and in the end I just halted the project.

Here's one proposal to make modded units work without all the hazzle.
The game should first load the original units.csv file and then load/amend a modded units.csv that contained only the modded units.
This procedure should work for similar modded files as well.

More RAF units:
Lancaster
Stirling
Hampden
Mosquito
Albacore
Martlet
Fulmar
Sunderland

BTW, the British Fleet Air Arm seems a bit too blue in KM. All my pictures show them as white/light grey.

More Luftwaffe units:
He115
Fi167
Horst

Post by Horst »

I first forgot about the SdKfz 10/4 in the game and listed both variants.
SdKfz 10/5 has a larger platform for the improved 2 cm Flak 38 which has a higher rate of fire than the old Flak 30.

The KV-1B with better gun and armor looks similar like the A, but I was wrong about its appearance already in 1941. It supposedly first came into action early-mid 1942.
There is however a gun/mantlet difference between the model 39 in Winter War and model 40 in Barbarossa 41.

I’ve added some units from Eric, but not that sure yet if most other suggested units could have made an appearance in Norway, Benelux/France, or Greece. Crete is (unfortunately) not officially supported by the Blitzkrieg campaign.
uran21
Panzer Corps Map Designer
Panzer Corps Map Designer

Post by uran21 »

Horst wrote:I first forgot about the SdKfz 10/4 in the game and listed both variants.
SdKfz 10/5 has a larger platform for the improved 2 cm Flak 38 which has a higher rate of fire than the old Flak 30.
There were also up armoured versions of both. Basically giving some more protection to the driver compartment and adding visual distinction from original setup.
So if up armoured version is used only for SdKfz 10/5 one can get nice update for 10/4 and visual distinction between the two.
bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by bebro »

Horst wrote:I first forgot about the SdKfz 10/4 in the game and listed both variants.
I see, thx. It would be easy to modify model-wise, though not sure if it's needed gameplay-wise to have another SdKfz 10 based 2cm AA so I can't definately confirm that specific unit as long as there are so many other still to do ;)

Erik,
BTW, the British Fleet Air Arm seems a bit too blue in KM. All my pictures show them as white/light grey.
It's supposed to be blue-greyish on top, and light with a bit of a yellow tone bottom, roughly like here:
http://www.walltor.com/images/wallpaper ... 183272.jpg

But bear in mind that even this can look quite different depending on the specific pic (lighting conditions, processing/editing):
http://yaffa-cdn.s3.amazonaws.com/flyin ... reme21.gif

So a minor variation should not be problematic, esp. since it can even go further with different displays.

Maybe you meant something like that:
http://img.wp.scn.ru/camms/ar/79/pics/9_94.jpg

But in the end we had to decide for one scheme to use, so we took the more blueish one.
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

Bebro

Most of the FAA units I've seen is of the white/grey variety. like this.
Attachments
FAA.jpg
FAA.jpg (72.96 KiB) Viewed 2936 times
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

Any hope of getting the Curtis Hawk-75 variations? Originally a US built fighter that I think saw Commonwealth service in the early Pacific war as well.
Finnish, Nationalist-Chinese, Dutch and Norwegian versions should ensure a healthy re-use of an original US/UK-version.
Attachments
Curtiss_75_Hawk.jpg
Curtiss_75_Hawk.jpg (59.44 KiB) Viewed 2935 times
bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by bebro »

Well, unit additions are mostly governed by need - like "what is needed for cams/scns/skirmish". If there's content coming that touches theatres those were used in prominently chances are you see them. But that's nothing I can promise you right now - next is KM, so for this there is not much reason to spend time on - for example - a Chinese unit skin or one for Dutch East Indies.

Return to “Order of Battle Series”