Blitzkrieg 41-42

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

Andy2012
Order of Battle Moderator

Re: Blitzkrieg 41-42

Post by Andy2012 »

@Erik: Finished Voronezkh, really tight turn limit. Took the last city in the last turn, got the KV tank, still minor victory. Maybe add 2 turns. And fix the end trigger. Maybe add a more explicit supply dynamic for an incentive to use a pincer move to cut off Voronezkh, e.g. high supply rail link, little supply in the city itself.
BTW, campaign is still at 1.7 , right? You are waiting for Kriegsmarine release, I guess.
Horst
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by Horst »

Andy2012 wrote:You are waiting for Kriegsmarine release, I guess.
We all do, we all!
Congrats for rumbling through the finishing line of B41-42 first, I guess!
Without you posting reports here, the next days of waiting could become very silent in the forum. :)
bru888

Post by bru888 »

Horst wrote:
Without you posting reports here, the next days of waiting could become very silent in the forum. :)
Andy made the point that although the activity is low, people are lurking out there, waiting. For example, this thread alone has experienced 3,935 views although Erik himself probably accounts for more than 3,000 of those views (just kidding). We should keep doing what we can to keep up the interest in the game so that more people will actually participate here instead of just lurking.
- Bru
Andy2012

Post by Andy2012 »

bru888 wrote:
Horst wrote:
Andy made the point that although the activity is low, people are lurking out there, waiting. For example, this thread alone has experienced 3,935 views although Erik himself probably accounts for more than 3,000 of those views (just kidding). We should keep doing what we can to keep up the interest in the game so that more people will actually participate here instead of just lurking.
Yeah, lurking on forums is a big issue. I mean, I enjoy Reddit a lot, but I dont even have an account there.
I only joined this forum because the original OoB kept crashing and I was reaaallly angry about the money I sunk back then. (Funny how that turned out, isnt it.) I have still a lot more hours invested in Panzercorps and its DLCs, but never posted there because the game worked flawlessly.

Oh yeah, I only played so fast because all those missions get considerably easier in the second playthrough and I tapped out with #igotnukes on Leningrad and Sevastopol Sieges. (I mean, in the original, they were kind of unwinnable.) Also, most missions are pretty short, 15-20 turns, and easy to win if you stick to no-transport lightinf, no -transport lightAT, no transport lightarty as the backbone of your force (try it, incredibly powerful if played right). Took me a lot longer to finish Blitzkrieg. And with Eriks Campaign, I have a good excuse to dodge Panzercorps Grand Campaign. I'll see if I start 39-40 now or maybe just see how Kriegsmarine turns out. To be honest, I am actually a lot more stoked for the follow-up DLC. Either Afrikakorps or Case Blue - anything else wouldnt make sense (at least in my reasoning).
Horst

Post by Horst »

I’ve noticed a significant drop in challenge too again while playing the Marines DLC. There is always some challenge at campaign start and during beach landing, but afterwards and especially in the last scenarios of a campaign, it’s mostly just a simple trapshooting against 0-experience AI units.
Playing mainly without transports is (sadly) indeed the key to maximize combat prowess. Moving quickly from A to B hasn’t usually any importance at all. Who needs infantry transports if they can run up to 6 hexes on paved roads in one turn? Most important are the tactical bombers and (naval) artillery support units to quickly soften up the enemy.
While I didn’t bother much about the 2-supply artillery at beginning, it now found its way into my cores either. Movement-2 towed guns can easily keep up with the infantry.

As there is no experience cap for units during campaigns, I can highly recommend giving the AI units more experience during the campaigns too. Increasing the player’s command points too much also bears the risk allowing too many support units to crush any opposition too easily. Splitting forces isn't necessary in many scenarios, so players can easily built-up a very powerful spearhead with many units on a tight spot.
Adding some air supply drops during scenarios or just start without it to simulate bad weather can't hurt either. Playing without air support is usually more challenging.
Andy2012

Post by Andy2012 »

Horst wrote:I’ve noticed a significant drop in challenge too again while playing the Marines DLC. There is always some challenge at campaign start and during beach landing, but afterwards and especially in the last scenarios of a campaign, it’s mostly just a simple trapshooting against 0-experience AI units.
Playing mainly without transports is (sadly) indeed the key to maximize combat prowess. Moving quickly from A to B hasn’t usually any importance at all. Who needs infantry transports if they can run up to 6 hexes on paved roads in one turn? Most important are the tactical bombers and (naval) artillery support units to quickly soften up the enemy.
While I didn’t bother much about the 2-supply artillery at beginning, it now found its way into my cores either. Movement-2 towed guns can easily keep up with the infantry.

As there is no experience cap for units during campaigns, I can highly recommend giving the AI units more experience during the campaigns too. Increasing the player’s command points too much also bears the risk allowing too many support units to crush any opposition too easily.
Adding some air supply drops during scenarios or just start without it to simulate bad weather can't hurt either. Playing without air support is usually more challenging.
Agree with this. If you push along roads, you dont need transport. Let the light AT set the pace and put your lightinf in front and next to it - boom, winner. Now some PzIIIs, some PzIVs, two Stugs, two superheavy arty (long range, 8 hexes), done. Airforce doesnt need stratbombers or heavy fighters either. Fighters and Stukas and you're golden.
Hopefully, the devs tweak this out and put more effort in mission design. In the original, missions just got longer, not more difficult. 100 turns in Tokyo, anybody? (Holy shit, that was tedious.) I mean, Eriks campaign is free, now mostly copies Panzercorps maps and mission design and is already on the level of some DLCs. OoB is slowly getting there, but really needs a killer DLC (great Afrikakorps campaign) to stand a chance against a polished Panzercorps 2. (And I wish this enterprise well.)
Horst

Post by Horst »

Following Andy's tank tracks to Zhitomir now.
5Ostrov: exit zone unsuitable in the corner without road connection. Exit zone doesn’t allow air and land redeployment.
6Novgorod: +10 land-based start-supply, please! The secret core T-34 spawned, yay!
The triggers worked fine in these two scenarios so far. Pictures too which are always nice.

Andy, can you please tell me your core units in the end? Just curious and keeping your guys awake for the next days. :wink:

Fogot to mention: my Waffen-SS RPs are going crazy by adding like 3-4k per scenario. I could upkeep a whole Panzer Army of Tigers by that. No idea why the game/campaign/scenarios behaves that way by showing only +2 income per turn.
Andy2012

Post by Andy2012 »

Horst wrote:Following Andy's tank tracks to Zhitomir now.
5Ostrov: exit zone unsuitable in the corner without road connection. Exit zone doesn’t allow air and land redeployment.
6Novgorod: +10 land-based start-supply, please! The secret core T-34 spawned, yay!
The triggers worked fine in these two scenarios so far. Pictures too which are always nice.

Andy, can you please tell me your core units in the end? Just curious and keeping your guys awake for the next days. :wink:

Fogot to mention: my Waffen-SS RPs are going crazy by adding like 3-4k per scenario. I could upkeep a whole Panzer Army of Tigers by that. No idea why the game/campaign/scenarios behaves that way by showing only +2 income per turn.
Newer actually did one of those lists.
So here it goes: (Just the list and will add info for each)
2xPzIIIJ Waffen SS (got them in Moscow, never used. There just wasnt any supply for them)
5xLightInf no transport (five stars each. Basically backbone of my army)
2xLightinf no transport Waffen SS (five star. Backbone army, so there are always 7xlightinf no transport on the battlefield)
2x17cm K18 (five star, long range arty. Always take these along)
1xStugIIIF (five star, upgraded from lightAT. Would like to use these more often, but cost soo much supply)
3xLightAT Pak38, no transport (five star, deployed along with light inf in star shaped pattern. They set the pace for my inf in most of my advances along roads)
3xLightArty LeIG15 no transport (back up for AT and LightInf. Moves along roads as well)
3xPzIIIJ1 (five star, tank commander with AT bonus. Tank killers)
3xPzIVF2 (one with Guderian, two with other commanders, five stars)
2xStug IIIE arty mode (five stars)
3xT34, one 41, two 42, one KV-1 (hardly used those, picked them up, but had almost no experience. One is three stars now)
4xFW190 (five stars, Rall and that other fighter commander. Priority deployment when air command points are tight)
4xStukaD (five stars, with Barkhorn.)
2xReconplane (one star, lowest priority air deployment, still useful)
Oh yeah, got one mobile AA and one Pionier with transport I got in Crete (three stars, hardly used. Too slow, low priority)

I cant always deploy everything I want, so I go inf, then AT, then heavy arty, then some light arty, then PzIII, PzIV, Stugs and only then AA and Engineers and other stuff if I have supply and command points left.
Core of my attack is always lightinf no transport, light AT no transport and lightarty no transport. Attack along roads, let the light AT stay on it and set the pace for the rest. Counterattacks bounce right off.
I know, I am not using a ton of other units, but this seems to me the most efficient combo.
Comments?
Horst

Post by Horst »

Not bad, Andy. I see you play with rather few (heavy) artillery units. I’ve never bothered with towed AT-guns, but I guess they are as useful as cheap if you rely on many infantry units. Note that I play with modified game/unit stats, so it can’t be compared that well to vanilla. My artillery units, for example, 150+ mm require 4 or 5 supply without transport.

My core is like this at moment:
3x light Infantry
3x Pz.IV
1x Pz.III Waffen-SS
3x StuG
3x Sturmpanzer I
1x SdKfz 232 (only using it if enough room)
3x SdKfz 7/1 (only bought them recently because I didn’t know what else)
3x 7.5 IG (if there is room)
3x 17 cm (excellent for counter-fire and versus AT- or AA-guns annoying my tanks and planes far ahead)
3x 21 cm (greetings, KV tanks!)
1x Ar 196 recon plane
4x Bf 109
3x Ju 88A-4 (this one is an added unit of mine)
And two captured T-34 so far which I don’t really use.

My core is formed around three spearheads, as you rarely need more during campaigns. My artillery fire is so intense that I can easily capture towns by tanks. More infantry isn’t really needed yet.
The SdKfz 7/1 aren’t that bad after all if you got a swarm of AI fighters attacking. If no flyers are around, you can still capture supply points on the map edges with them.
Andy2012

Post by Andy2012 »

@Horst: Whoa, that is a lot of arty.
Well, I have my four Stukas, so that covers a lot. And with all my FW190s, I usually have air dominance after 4-6 turns easily. So I dont need that massive arty screen you are having.
Mobile AA is good against fighers, but also a magnet for enemy arty fire. As are strangely the Stugs (which take a lot of damage when shelled - I find that odd. I can get why AT is vulnerable to arty fire, they are out in the open and basically a crew on a gun. But the Stug is heavily armored, shell fragments should bounce of...).
Are those StugIIIe or f? Arty or AT?
It is a quite interesting playstyle, though. Drown them in shells so they never get close, I guess.
Anybody else? I mean, Eriks campaign allows a wide variety of units and playstyles, probably more than the original Blitzkrieg.
Also thought about transport a lot. Maybe the devs should remove the command point requirement (+1) and just let them cost money. Right now, apart from Pioniers and HeavyInf, they are not necessary (and I already avoid those units).
Also, captured vehicles in the sense of a motorpool should be an option. I think in an Afrikakorps DLC, you should be able to add a secondary (e.g. raid British supply base) that gives you access to their trucks and can attach and re-attach them to different units. Also, the 88AT should be more employable. Right now, switching between AT and AA and firing in the same turn is impossible and the gun is neither conceilable nor useful in an offensive role.
Well, here I am thinking one or two DLCs ahead and totally forgot about Kriegsmarine. 8)
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

Guys

I'm about to start adding experience to friendly aux units and enemy AI units.

I noted your comments about playing without transports. I agree with you that infantry moves way too fast, especially on paved roads.
In all the original PzC-scenarios most of the regular infantry is transported and the command points in OOB reflect that. This means players usually have more combat units if they choose not to purchase transports.
So I thinking, maybe reduce the land command points for infantry/Light AT purchase. Just leave it for the heavy infantry. This will of course be based on the original unit types for each scenario.
That should increase the difficulty a bit.
Andy2012

Post by Andy2012 »

Erik wrote:Guys

I'm about to start adding experience to friendly aux units and enemy AI units.

I noted your comments about playing without transports. I agree with you that infantry moves way too fast, especially on paved roads.
In all the original PzC-scenarios most of the regular infantry is transported and the command points in OOB reflect that. This means players usually have more combat units if they choose not to purchase transports.
So I thinking, maybe reduce the land command points for infantry/Light AT purchase. Just leave it for the heavy infantry. This will of course be based on the original unit types for each scenario.
That should increase the difficulty a bit.
Not sure I fully understand you. You want to reduce the land command points generally or just for light infantry and lightAT? How is that supposed to work out?
Still, I think the difficulty is okay. I play on medium (Major, I think). If I felt like suffering, I would go higher. (But I am not kondi, so I wont.)
Porting form Panzercorps to OoB will have its kinks due to the gameplay modifications. Most maps now offer a totally different dynamic and strategies since you can cut off supply etc.
So I would advise against trying to stick to the original too much, just take it as a guiding rail. To be playable, you need to make adaptions (as in Sevastopol Siege - it works in Panzercorps, but the amount of arty in there makes it a slaughterfest in OoB. With the supply modifications (supply ships, rail link etc), it becomes playable.)
Still, I think the utility of transports is (we all agree, I think) rather low. Unless you are in some sort of fighting retreat mission like Bataan, it is not paying dividends. Together with mission design, this should be a priority after Kriegsmarine.
Also, some weapon systems are rather useless, as the Nebelwerfer. Range is too low. Unless they make it mobile, I'll never need it in any offensive role.
Andy2012

Post by Andy2012 »

@Erik: Oh yeah, you should maybe add secondaries to the later missions and give them rewards, e.g. prestige or more command points or fighter points later on. Can you actually do that? The DLC campaigns all had these events that played out missions later. Would be cool to have that here. But I dont want to overtax you.
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

I remove 1 land command point for each infantry transport not used, since you guys don't use the old trucks anyway.
That means 1-3 less LCPs for purchasing combat units, not much difference when you have 50-90 to being with.
The Germans are given a 4 experience in '41, while the Soviets start with 1 inceasing to two at Leningrad. The Soviet Guards units get exp 3.
So I think the balance will be all right.

I'm hoping for a lot more commanders in the future. They are nice to use as awards.
Horst

Post by Horst »

@Andy: My Ju 88A-4s are tactical (glide) bombers and are a bit stronger versus non-mechanized targets with a bomb load of up to 3 tonnes compared to 0.7 of a Stuka. Their speed and defense is much better. The Ju 88 was the best German multi-role bomber after all.
My StuGs are usually in AT-mode, covering the tanks and smashing damaged/red-efficiency units. Even KV tanks often don’t dare to attack if they don’t have 100% efficiency and the StuGs are protecting. StuGs are rarely targeted by AI artillery. Yes, units like SdKfz 7/1 are the typical magnet for arty, but I have only used them once so far. Otherwise, it’s usually the StuPz.I or infantry that gets shelled, but I make sure to silence any AI arty as soon as possible. My infantry units aren’t protected that well against any kind of bombardment. They aren’t Space Marines after all, more like Imperial Guards.
By the way, while I tweaked around my arty damage stats, I’ve noticed that naval artillery can still easily kill low-strength units compared to towed artillery, even if the attack values are lower. It looks like the navy wasn’t included in the artillery damper-update.

@Eric: I think it makes no difference if you change command points on the transported units. Reduce the infantry CPs and players will buy more combat-units instead. Who needs transports if enemy contact is imminent right from start and you are constantly fighting anyway? This can’t really work well.
The PzC idea to increase the unit and repair cost together with transport worked better. For OOB-transports: supply increase yes, command points no.
No, please don’t turn the campaign into a mod with annoying mod launcher! I would only agree to this if the game would receive a new noCommand unit trait to add these to all transports. If you only change the scenario command points then okay.
The whole transport category should require no command points. Transport ships and planes don’t require command points either.
About AI experience: adding 1 XP from 1942 on is fine for USSR. Guards may have the double XP or +2 as elite. There are two Soviet air commanders from the Morning Sun campaign you can use, by the way. I doubt many people will remember their names if we shoot them down a couple of times during the years. Many German ace pilots were shot down and survived too, just to jump into the cockpit after a short time of recovery. It’s always nice to meet old rivals on the battlefield.
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

There's no mod involved, I just reduced 1-3 land command points for scenarios that originally fielded regular infantry in transports.
It is simply an adjustment.
BTW, I've added the proper specializations to the various AI nationalities. Not much; tank school, flying shool and other low-tech stuff.
Horst

Post by Horst »

Setting up AI units in a scenario is always fun, as you don’t need to bother about transport command points and such.
Specialisations like exp boosters are kind of pointless, but other specs can make a difference.
Forced Labour is a proper spec for USSR too, besides Japan and Germany, preferably starting early 1942 after Battle of Moscow. Too bad you need to change the specialisations.csv file for that to work.
Soviet ground-based radar (leading to scrambling) came into production at start of 1942; with IFF detection 1943. Naval-based radar, like it is mainly useful in OOB, came only very late in 1944-1945. That’s why I would only give the Soviets the Scrambling spec from 1943 on. It works without any other radar spec requirement.
Drop Tanks: the LaGG-3 definitely could use drop tanks, but not the Mig-3 and Yaks afaik. I wouldn’t give it to USSR.

Let’s see how all the new naval specs work later. With Kriegsmarine and revisitation of the Sea Lion DLC, AI-Britain definitely deserves Magnetron Radar and Scrambling at least. Western Allied drop tanks were rather only used starting 1942 if I’m not mistaken.
WarHomer
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by WarHomer »

I haven´t been playing OOB for quite some time now, since there hasn´t been any new content, and Kriegsmarine doens´t really exite me with so few scenarios and no tie in to a larger campaign, so I was wondering how Erics campaign was progressing?

I played the first for a while but had to use cheat codes too much because the mechanics didnt work properly (often didn´t get major victories eventhough I was supposed to).

Is it well balanced and working better?

How many starting units do you usually have? I kinda like the long road with slowly building my core army.
Andy2012

Post by Andy2012 »

WarHomer wrote:I haven´t been playing OOB for quite some time now, since there hasn´t been any new content, and Kriegsmarine doens´t really exite me with so few scenarios and no tie in to a larger campaign, so I was wondering how Erics campaign was progressing?

I played the first for a while but had to use cheat codes too much because the mechanics didnt work properly (often didn´t get major victories eventhough I was supposed to).

Is it well balanced and working better?

How many starting units do you usually have? I kinda like the long road with slowly building my core army.
Havent really checked out or bought KM yet, maybe this weekend.

Eriks campaign (41-42) has gone through a lot of versions and is quite playable right now. I had a lot of fun.
(Yes, it is slightly less polished than Blitzkrieg, but working. And its free.) Try it, I can only recommend it. You can build your core over 14 missions (I think). If you run into any quagmires or problems, just post here.
Horst

Post by Horst »

Blitz 39-40 should work fine now with all the triggers although I haven’t played through it lately. It’s only inconvenient to play it at moment with new units from Kriegsmarine-update that Erik is most likely going to exchange and add some new stuff here and there in the next time.
Blitz 41-42 has still trigger issues but at least you shouldn’t be forced that much to cheat yourself on like in the early days.

Oh yes, Erik is also most likely going to update the Sea Lion campaign now with more British units. Don't expect updates in the next days/weeks?

Talking about trigger issues in B41-42 that I still had discovered before KM-update forced me to update my mod-sheets for the next while:

7Zhitomir: +10 start-supply more, please! Another wrong exit type there without redeployment.
I didn’t manage the last secondary with Kiev anymore. It would have been easier if Zhitomir and Kiev had a road connection. Getting bombed by two 152 mm arty there isn’t worth it anyway.
Thanks to faulty triggers, the Kiev-objective wouldn’t have been possibly to accomplish as you once again use these accursed Capture VP events for checking units next to the Kiev hex. Nope, as long as you don’t demand capturing Kiev itself!
Same with your end-scenario trigger for Zhitomir with Capture VP event: no!
Trigger event Turn Start works in both cases best. It checks at start of either player’s turn, no matter if the scenario has already reached its turn-limit, so it’s always possible to trigger objectives this way. Capture VP event is only useful for capturing VPs not in combination with the scenario-end condition.

8Leningrad41: +20 more start-supply couldn’t hurt. Yes, my fault this time if I increase the supply cost of 21 cm arty from 3 to 5. Mod-friendliness welcomed here!
Triggers:
- Ger Krasnovardeysk: ends the game on turn 20, instead of the given limit of 21.
- Arty secondarys should be on Turn Start again to make them better work or on Move/Any Event if you prefer instant results.
These follow-up objective triggers didn’t popup for me, as I needed too long capturing and occupying the required hexes while wasting time with Rudanfort too early. I already captured Rudanfort early what turned out to be almost a death trap without encircling Leningrad at first. A higher turn-limit would have better worked here to better follow the given objective-chain, but can’t say how many turns.

Return to “Order of Battle Series”