Sanctus Reach - How to use the editor and a CONTEST!

Get all the latest news on Slitherine.

Moderator: Slitherine Core

AlbertoC
Slitherine
Slitherine

Sanctus Reach - How to use the editor and a CONTEST!

Post by AlbertoC »

One of the most interesting features of Sanctus Reach is the possibility of shaping your own dream battlefield with the immediate editor which comes with the game.

Watch this extremely useful tutorial video made by Mark from Straylight - an essential watch if you want to master the in game editor!

You're going to need all your editing skills and knowledge if you want to win our contest: make your own custom scenario and send it to us. We will pick the best designed scenario and the winner will receive a box of pro-painted Space Wolves or Orks miniatures!

That's it, you heard it right. You have a chance to win some awesome Citadel models. You'll have time until March 1st to submit your custom made scenario to us.

Editor contest

Make your scenario and send it us before March 1st.

Instructions are:

1. Download this campaign and extract to My Documents > My Games > Sanctus > Campaigns

2. Rename the folder to the name of your Campaign (with no spaces!)

3. In the newly renamed folder, go into Text1 and Change the Campaign Name and Campaign Description lines to you desire!

4. Open up the Editor

5. Select your Renamed Campaign and create a new scenario

6. Make your level!

7. Use the Sanctus Squad Names Plugin and attach a name to each Space Wolf Units

8. Save their Level using the save button

9. When finished, Zip up the Campaign folder you renamed and send it to albertoc@slitherine.co.uk

We'll pick the winner and he or she will have the choice to receive either a box of Space Wolves or Orks miniatures, already assembled and painted and ready to be employed on the field of battle!

Don't miss this amazing opportunity to leave your mark on Sanctus Reach and win a lot of Games Workshop miniatures!
Aekar
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Re: Sanctus Reach - How to use the editor and a CONTEST!

Post by Aekar »

Thank you for this contest!
Can we mod our scenario as well, to make a showcase of the power of Slitherine scripting, or must we only use the Editor?
AlbertoC
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by AlbertoC »

Aekar wrote:Thank you for this contest!
Can we mod our scenario as well, to make a showcase of the power of Slitherine scripting, or must we only use the Editor?
Hi Aekar!

I'm not sure what you mean: to mod your scenario you'd have to use the editor.
Aekar

Post by Aekar »

Sorry maybe my english was confusing. I meant:
are we authorized to modify the scenario with manual scripting, or must we only use what the Editor itself allows us to do.

To provide an example:
With Editor we can use existing unit types and content, and create our own events, map and combat setup.
In that example you would (usually) find Space Wolves versus Orks or any combination of the two.

But you can also do manual scripting, by opening your campaign folder and altering the textures, scripts, etc.
With manual scripting we can actually add new unit types, user interface, combat rules and so on.

As this is unspecified right now and since I read about people making a few scripts too, I suppose we can do anything we see fit.
However I put the question forward because I do not want to mess up with the contest objectives! :)
AlbertoC
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by AlbertoC »

Oh I see what you mean now, sorry.

Yes, if you'd like to edit the game's files please feel free to do so! But in that case please provide a list of the changes you have made.
SgtBootStrap
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by SgtBootStrap »

So for the amateur Modder there is no point in submitting then right? How does a Noob compete with "new unit types, user interface, combat rules and so on" given what amounts to 2 weeks to learn the editor before having even completed both in-game Campaigns. ;)

Anyways, it is FUN trying to create in the Editor anyways... ;)

P.S. And not being "Sour Grapes" about it at all, but a Midget Hockey Team likely would not fair well versus a Professional Hockey Team who was determined to win the BIG Prize. :)
AlbertoC
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by AlbertoC »

SgtBootStrap wrote:So for the amateur Modder there is no point in submitting then right? How does a Noob compete with "new unit types, user interface, combat rules and so on" given what amounts to 2 weeks to learn the editor before having even completed both in-game Campaigns. ;)

P.S. And not being "Sour Grapes" about it at all, but a Midget Hockey Team likely would not fair well versus a Professional Hockey Team who was determined to win the BIG Prize. :)
You never know :)

Don't underestimate your map. Maybe someone will attempt to make a huge mod but won't manage to submit it in time :)
Aekar

Post by Aekar »

Indeed Sergent:
the contest will select the scenario with the best story, gameplay etc;
and if large mods can contribute to a good gameplay it is only much further down after weeks of testing, fixing, balancing; and all these only begin once they are complete...
many of these projects are just left incomplete.

Not to downvote myself but in any case, this exactly means that you stand all your chances against what I am trying to do. ;)

I greatly appreciate the fact that we have this contest, because it makes an inspiration to make progress.
I'll just try to package something fun and it cannot be the big thing.
I'll also try to complete that in time, I might just miss the window.

Thanks for proposing the miniatures :)
Aekar

Post by Aekar »

Contest day!
Keep strong all modders!

I'll do my very best to send the content tomorrow evening!
FirecrackerJOE

Post by FirecrackerJOE »

Regardless of the results of today's contest I personally would like to see/play all of the entries. We should either create a thread or post the campaigns here.
Aekar

Post by Aekar »

Entry is warping into Slitherine's inbox!
AlbertoC
Slitherine
Slitherine

We have a WINNER!

Post by AlbertoC »

A couple of weeks ago we started a competition: we wanted to see what sort of maps and scenarios the players could create with the in game editor. We weren't disappointed! In fact, several of the maps which were submitted are impressive and stunning to look at.

Picking a winner wasn't easy. Many of these maps and scenarios were very well planned and executed! But all competitions must have a winner. After a long discussion and a lot of coffee, the Straylight team reached a decision:

VM's Gaming is the winner, with his Fallen Imperial City scenario! Congratulations!

He'll receive a nice set of painted Games Workshop miniatures: either Space Wolves or Orks - his pick!

We'd like to thank you all for your contribution - we really appreciate your enthusiasm and your dedication. And remember to check your e-mail please, we have a small surprise for you :) we are also looking forward to sharing these maps with everyone interested in playing them. It's something we want to do. We'll also tell more of those scenarios, soon, so stay tuned!

In the meanwhile, work on Sanctus Reach continues. The team is extremely focused on improving the game. Work in progress, but expect news very soon. I'm sure you'll all like what is coming.
Mophead
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Re: We have a WINNER!

Post by Mophead »

AlbertoC wrote: VM's Gaming is the winner, with his Fallen Imperial City scenario! Congratulations!
Congrats, can't wait to play it!
AlessandroD
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by AlessandroD »

Congrats to the winner, waiting to play it then :D
FirecrackerJOE

Post by FirecrackerJOE »

I didn't see an email for my submission. Should I be concerned?
AlbertoC
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by AlbertoC »

FirecrackerJOE wrote:I didn't see an email for my submission. Should I be concerned?
No, sorry. I'm still in the process of sending out e-mails, this might take a while. I only sent the e-mail to the winner so far. Just a little bit more patience please :)
FirecrackerJOE

Post by FirecrackerJOE »

No rush! I just wanted to make sure my submission was "lost in the mail". Out of curiosity how many campaigns were submitted?
jason40k
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by jason40k »

SgtBootStrap wrote:So for the amateur Modder there is no point in submitting then right? How does a Noob compete with "new unit types, user interface, combat rules and so on" given what amounts to 2 weeks to learn the editor before having even completed both in-game Campaigns. ;)

I was thinking the same. Ive never even used an editor before and it took me a week just to get the hang of it. I did eventually make a map and got it in on the deadline (just about). Then i seen the guy won it was like a pro. I thought to myself "well that was a waste of time". Then i thought, well not exactly because if it meant people made maps/senarios be they good or bad then at least we will get to play them and it will add more life to the game.

So even though i basically hadnt got a chance before i even started, if it means a map pack with all the contest maps then, IM HAPPY!.
FirecrackerJOE

Post by FirecrackerJOE »

I went through the same feeling progression Jason40k. I fully expect some of the submissions to put the actual campaign to shame.

Return to “News & Announcements”