Blitzkrieg dlc - Is this "normal" difficult level?

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

TDefender
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Blitzkrieg dlc - Is this "normal" difficult level?

Post by TDefender »

Ok once again after reaching the last mission , Moscow, using cheats in two mission (Kiev and the Greek scenario 'cause it was impossible to find the last enemy units on map :roll: ...) another gameplay balance issue for me:

Ok I've just lost 6 core units in all the campaing, how the hell I can face all that stuff? (just look at mini-map too) , no need to say, I achieve the secondary mission (get 2 vps in the first 15 turns) and get no extrapoints and apparentely nothing... I suppose I was going to get "some enemy unit less" but then 3 counterstrike-events appeared and I had the fealing to remove fog of war and I realize I could never win the scenario...

The other solution may be I became suddenly a very, very bad player... :roll: :cry:
kondi754
General - Elite King Tiger

Re: Blitzkrieg dlc - Is this "normal" difficult level?

Post by kondi754 »

Firstly - Russian units you see will not attack you all at once, but they will gradually come to fight.
Secondly - OOB is a very difficult game, I suggest you to start at 2nd level which is default ("normal"). I see you play at 3rd.
I started at the 2nd level when the base game appeared on sale. I remember that 3rd level it was Mount Everest for me at that time.
Now I am playing at the highest (5th) level, so don't be ashamed or sad. :)

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 9&start=20
TDefender

Post by TDefender »

First of all thanks for reply :)

- Yes they will not attack me at once but it's logical that the basis of the problem is the army I keep at that point, I won't be able in anyway to face all that stuff in 30 turns (probably neither in 50 turns :cry: ) Almost 20 medium/heavy enemy tanks , heavy artillery, dozens of planes, swarm of infantry. And I repeat, I've just lost 6 core units in all the campaign but it's definitely not enough obviously.

- I won the 2 core campaigns (Usa and Japan) on difficult level 3. Therefore I bought Morning Sun dlc and decided to try the forth level without success, then switched to the third one and I won the campaign eventually but I have to admit certain missions were very, very harder compared to the previous main game's campaigns.
Evidently this Blitzkrieg dlc has a very different balance, I will follow your advice and I will turn to the second level, but I still remain doubtful about the balance of this dlc as well about certains gameplay concepets....
GiveWarAchance
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2

Post by GiveWarAchance »

In these games, same as in Panzer Corp, the enemy always outnumbers the player by ridiculous unit counts but they can be quickly culled.
Just wade into the enemy and scrap it out.
The main goal is to have fun and enjoy a lot of combat.
I heard of players would beat Moscow so it can't be so hard without using weird cheats.
You can do it!! Just believe in the astonishing power of the German armed forces.
kondi754

Post by kondi754 »

I accomplished Moscow Scn two times at 4th diff. level.
Now I plan to play Blitzkrieg DLC again at the highest level.
Of course, it is to complete and can be done.
I suggest you play once again the entire campaign on the 2nd level.
jeff00t
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by jeff00t »

"I've just lost 6 core units in all the campaign"

--> i never lose one core unit! u must win each time without losses!

and with a river, a small group of units can beat any russian army
my custom single player mini-campaign in order of battle : normandie-niemen: Image
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=374&t=79333&p=676302#p676302
TDefender

Post by TDefender »

jeff00t wrote:"I've just lost 6 core units in all the campaign"

Ok but It seems a bit strange to me if you can't afford to loose any unit on a 10-mission campaign on level 3... it was very different in the 2 main game campaigns.
Myrddraal
The Artistocrats
The Artistocrats

Post by Myrddraal »

Remember that in the campaign games, the AI receives very little to no income. Although the player usually has a much smaller force, this can be replenished and replaced throughout the scenario. Instead, the AI has many more units on the map, but as noted above, these tend to hold back to provide a (hopefully) balanced and challenging play-through. We've found that this generally makes for a more enjoyable game than watching the AI repair units over many turns before the player can make any apparent progress.
GiveWarAchance

Post by GiveWarAchance »

Myrddraal wrote:Remember that in the campaign games, the AI receives very little to no income. Although the player usually has a much smaller force, this can be replenished and replaced throughout the scenario. Instead, the AI has many more units on the map, but as noted above, these tend to hold back to provide a (hopefully) balanced and challenging play-through. We've found that this generally makes for a more enjoyable game than watching the AI repair units over many turns before the player can make any apparent progress.
That makes good sense. I think when the enemy holds back counterattacks and defenders it is more realistic too like how they would rush divisions from other areas as reinforcements so they show up later. Human ability to refill units not in a combat turn makes up for having far less units than the enemy. In my games, I see the enemy refreshing units in the early game but stops from about midgame onwards which I guess means they ran dry for reinforcements.
bru888
Order of Battle Moderator

Post by bru888 »

jeff00t wrote:"I've just lost 6 core units in all the campaign"

What planet are you from? :roll: (Just kidding.)
- Bru
bru888

Post by bru888 »

Myrddraal wrote:Remember that in the campaign games, the AI receives very little to no income. Although the player usually has a much smaller force, this can be replenished and replaced throughout the scenario. Instead, the AI has many more units on the map, but as noted above, these tend to hold back to provide a (hopefully) balanced and challenging play-through. We've found that this generally makes for a more enjoyable game than watching the AI repair units over many turns before the player can make any apparent progress.
This model works, in my opinion. If you don't play well enough, you get overwhelmed or denied. If you do play well, you "overcome the numbers/obstacles."
- Bru
TDefender

Post by TDefender »

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4216599

It seems I'm not the only one concerning about difficult balance. Don't get me wrong : I love this game but after the main game release some changes were made about difficulty and I'm not sure they follow the right path. If I have to replay each scenario many times and "spamming" save games because I'cant afford to loose one core unit in a whole campaign there's something wrong maybe. :wink:
GiveWarAchance

Post by GiveWarAchance »

TDefender wrote:http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4216599

It seems I'm not the only one concerning about difficult balance. Don't get me wrong : I love this game but after the main game release some changes were made about difficulty and I'm not sure they follow the right path. If I have to replay each scenario many times and "spamming" save games because I'cant afford to loose one core unit in a whole campaign there's something wrong maybe. :wink:
What difficulty level do you set Blitzkrieg campaign at? Maybe best to play that one at a lower difficulty than other campaigns.
WarHomer
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by WarHomer »

I' ve played all campaigns on the highest diff and I' ve beaten them all.

It´s all in your tactics. Dont just charge ahead, soften up the enemy with artillery og air first. Protect your core forces and use your prestige and the terrain wisely.
kondi754

Post by kondi754 »

WarHomer wrote:I' ve played all campaigns on the highest diff and I' ve beaten them all.

It´s all in your tactics. Dont just charge ahead, soften up the enemy with artillery og air first. Protect your core forces and use your prestige and the terrain wisely.
These tips are good for beginners.
It seems to me that Moscow scn requires a little more, even on medium difficulty. :lol:
kondi754

Post by kondi754 »

Its true that some DLCs are more difficult than others.
It seems to me that the most difficult is the Winter War. I play it now at the highest level and is definitely harder than the Marines.
While the first 2 scenarios are relatively simple, the Karelian Isthmus (3rd scn) is very demanding - I couldn't keep the entire Finnish defense line (lost 2 resistance points of 6).
Suomussalmi, the next, is the most difficult in the whole OOB in my opinion.
The first time I finished it within 33 turns, the second time - 32.
It was the third time when I did it in the limit of 30 rounds.
Printscreens below.
Attachments
victory.jpg
victory.jpg (129.18 KiB) Viewed 5927 times
GiveWarAchance

Post by GiveWarAchance »

kondi, maybe you don't got the goods to be a Finnish commander. :lol:

Why do you keep your troops out in the open when you have excellent forests to fortify them in? When the ruskies attack, they will have the forests as an advantage over you.

And did you purchase a good mix of units? What are those guns? 2 AT guns and 2 arty? don't need AA?
How was the Soviet air fleet? Do you have planes?
kondi754

Post by kondi754 »

GiveWarAchance wrote:kondi, maybe you don't got the goods to be a Finnish commander. :lol:

Why do you keep your troops out in the open when you have excellent forests to fortify them in? When the ruskies attack, they will have the forests as an advantage over you.

And did you purchase a good mix of units? What are those guns? 2 AT guns and 2 arty? don't need AA?
How was the Soviet air fleet? Do you have planes?
Have you played Suomassalmi scn?
I get the impression you don't really know what you're writing. :D
I have anti-aircraft gun, and unfortunately I can't dig in the woods and wait for the Russians because the main task is to capture (very quickly) 4 points on the map. :wink:
GiveWarAchance

Post by GiveWarAchance »

I only played the first finnish battle so far cause now starting Marines campaign so will do Finnish campaign later.
I like Pacific War stuff very much.
If you are still stuck on the finnish campaign when I get round to it, then I will give you advice.
Make sure you set the difficulty to highest.
kondi754

Post by kondi754 »

GiveWarAchance wrote:I only played the first finnish battle so far cause now starting Marines campaign so will do Finnish campaign later.
I like Pacific War stuff very much.
If you are still stuck on the finnish campaign when I get round to it, then I will give you advice.
Make sure you set the difficulty to highest.

I wrote this post to confirm there are scenarios such as Moscow and Suomussalmi, which are extremely difficult.
I think I'm pretty good player but barely managed to finish Suomussalmi in the turns' limit. I had to rise to the heights of my tactical and operational artistry. :lol:
The next scn - Raate Road - completed without a problem. Piece of cake.
I always set the difficulty to the highest level. :D

Return to “Order of Battle Series”