Without commanders, import core is . . . meh.

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

bru888
Order of Battle Moderator

Without commanders, import core is . . . meh.

Post by bru888 »

I just imported my Morning Sun core into Rising Sun. Sure, it's nice to preserve 30% of unit experience but without the commanders, it's just a transaction. I will give you an example.

Throughout Morning Sun, I had an ace whose plane I upgraded from A4N1 to A5M4 to A6M2 Zero. By the end of the campaign, he had many victories. (I took great pains to make sure he was never shot down.)

I was looking forward to continuing his fabled career in Rising Sun but, as I was reminded when importing my core just now, although the Zero is in the game (with only 30% of its experience but I understand that for game balance) and the plane's record is intact, the pilot himself is not available. Same thing for a certain highly successful tank commander.

[Heh, my mental image to cover this is that Japanese high command deems these heroes too valuable to lose in further combat, hence they are back in the homeland giving speeches and making propaganda movies. :) ]

Please consider this constructive criticism and a suggestion to have the commanders move forward from campaign to campaign where the export/import core feature is offered. I doubt that this would overly affect game balance.
- Bru
prattaa
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Re: Without commanders, import core is . . . meh.

Post by prattaa »

It kept me from having to use specialization points for infantry, tank, & pilot training since I had many 5 star units to import. I think the experience cap could be changed to 100% up to a max of 2 stars. For the commanders I assume they were promoted to desk jobs.
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

On a side note.
I wish you could get commander points and purchase commanders, much like the specialization points.
So you would save up for commanders you you actually need in the type of scenarios you're fighting.
Historical commanders could be made available on certain dates.
TDefender
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by TDefender »

Erik wrote:On a side note.
I wish you could get commander points and purchase commanders, much like the specialization points.
Wonderful idea ! Really too little commanders in each campaign. :cry:
bru888

Post by bru888 »

TDefender wrote:
Erik wrote:On a side note.
Wonderful idea ! Really too little commanders in each campaign. :cry:
Agree. During Morning Sun, I found myself looking for their familiar faces during the course of a long campaign. I tried to recall their names, then resorted to naming their units after them.

Commanders "personalize" the game to some extent and lend to further immersion. They should be featured more and, to my original point, should carry over from one linked campaign to the next.

Commanders need to die sometimes, however. As in real life, commanders should not always survive fiery crashes and explosions only to return nine turns later.
- Bru
GiveWarAchance
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2

Post by GiveWarAchance »

Ya good idea to be able to buy leaders and risk them dying too and need them to stay with core during campaign switch.
If one died and purchasing leaders was enabled, then we could stomach the loss with little stress and get to try out different leader effects.

Always roll for leader chance of death in combat or only if below a certain hitpoint parameter like under 5 hp?

Return to “Order of Battle Series”