US Marines DLC at the highest level of difficulty

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

kondi754
General - Elite King Tiger

Re: US Marines DLC at the highest level of difficulty

Post by kondi754 »

Peleliu Scn finished.
Iwo Jima will be next.

My core forces after Peleliu:
3 x Marines 43
1 x Hv Inf 44
1 x Airborne 44
1 x Marine Raiders 43
5 x Inf 44
3 x Engineers 42
1 x M4A3 Sherman 76(W)
1 x M4A1 Sherman
2 x M3 Satan
1 x Type 2 Ka-Mi (captured but don't use it)
1 x M12 155mm GMC
1 x 155mm M1 Long Tom
1 x 40mm Bofors AA
1 x Willys MB.50cal

My specs before Iwo Jima:
1. Infantry Landing Craft
2. Landing Craft: Tanks
3. Tank School
4. Flight School
5. Pilot Rotation
6. War Economy
Attachments
objectives.jpg
objectives.jpg (141.5 KiB) Viewed 5061 times
victory.jpg
victory.jpg (163.79 KiB) Viewed 5061 times
GiveWarAchance
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2

Post by GiveWarAchance »

That's a lot of stuff. What about ships and planes?

What is the range of the 155s both Long Tom and M12 truck?

How do you like Willy's jeep with 50 cal and the deadly Satans?

I hope you get a butt kicking on Iwo for a change of pace. :)
kondi754

Post by kondi754 »

GiveWarAchance wrote:That's a lot of stuff. What about ships and planes?

What is the range of the 155s both Long Tom and M12 truck?

How do you like Willy's jeep with 50 cal and the deadly Satans?

There is no naval forces in the US Marines DLC.
My air forces:
1 x F4U1 Corsair
2 x F4F4 Wildcat
1 x SB2C-4 Helldiver
1 x SBD5 Dauntless
1 x SBD3 Dauntless

Long Tom has a slightly larger range than the M12.
Willys suited for operations in the Pacific, is very mobile and inexpensive, and the Japanese tanks are relatively weak.
Satans are necessary in the destruction of bunkers, caves and support infantry fighting in the jungle. I am very pleased with their work. :D
kondi754

Post by kondi754 »

GiveWarAchance wrote:
I guess I'll also win this time. :D
GiveWarAchance

Post by GiveWarAchance »

The Japanese still have 2 airfields and 74+ units to whoop you with so I'm still feeling hopeful for them. :P
And they sure have a lot of bunkers which is also good. :D
Those big grey bunkers - are they tough? I mean before the Satans lay into them.
kondi754

Post by kondi754 »

GiveWarAchance wrote:The Japanese still have 2 airfields and 74+ units to whoop you with so I'm still feeling hopeful for them. :P
And they sure have a lot of bunkers which is also good. :D
Those big grey bunkers - are they tough? I mean before the Satans lay into them.
Gray bunkers are more difficult to destroy but not a major problem.

I announce I won Iwo Jima Scn and ended Marines Campaign - the first time I finished OoB's campaign at the highest difficulty level :!: :!: :!:
:D 8)
Attachments
suribachi.jpg
suribachi.jpg (127.28 KiB) Viewed 5041 times
objectives.jpg
objectives.jpg (253.14 KiB) Viewed 5041 times
victory.jpg
victory.jpg (194.64 KiB) Viewed 5041 times
KiloDeltaPapa
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by KiloDeltaPapa »

Guys I'm seriously stuck with the Iwo Jima scenario. You could say I'm at my wits' end :shock:

I can get to the three airfields on time or I can kill 110ish enemy ground units but I can't do both at the same time. And I'm not talking being close either, I miss the objectives by a wide margin. Every time and a dozen of times. So I figured out I am doing something fundamentally wrong. Only trouble is I can't figure out what it is I am doing wrong.

Any ideas? Tips? Please?

Thanks!
"Ὦ ξεῖν᾿, ἀγγέλλειν Λακεδαιμονίοις ὅτι τῇδε κείμεθα τοῖς κείνων ῥήμασι πειθόμενοι."
kondi754

Post by kondi754 »

KiloDeltaPapa wrote:Guys I'm seriously stuck with the Iwo Jima scenario. You could say I'm at my wits' end :shock:

I can get to the three airfields on time or I can kill 110ish enemy ground units but I can't do both at the same time. And I'm not talking being close either, I miss the objectives by a wide margin. Every time and a dozen of times. So I figured out I am doing something fundamentally wrong. Only trouble is I can't figure out what it is I am doing wrong.

Any ideas? Tips? Please?

Thanks!
Try to concentrate your forces on maximum 2 tasks, don't try to be everywhere. If you don't have an advantage on a given section of the front, the best solution is waiting.
That's all.
KiloDeltaPapa

Post by KiloDeltaPapa »

Thanks for the reply.

I will try again obviously, but to honest I was hoping for more... practical advice. :lol:
"Ὦ ξεῖν᾿, ἀγγέλλειν Λακεδαιμονίοις ὅτι τῇδε κείμεθα τοῖς κείνων ῥήμασι πειθόμενοι."
kondi754

Post by kondi754 »

KiloDeltaPapa wrote:Thanks for the reply.

I will try again obviously, but to honest I was hoping for more... practical advice. :lol:
If you have described the situation in general then you have received a general answer.
Write what forces you have, how you deployed them, and what problems you have, so I can give you some specific tips.
w_michael
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by w_michael »

Since there is no higher difficulty level you might want to try it with historical OOBs for each scenario instead of the custom core troops. I've been playing Morning Sun that way but only at the medium setting. I imagine that the OOB for U.S. Marines are readily available.
William Michael, Pike & Shot Campaigns and Field of Glory II series enthusiast
kondi754

Post by kondi754 »

w_michael wrote:Since there is no higher difficulty level you might want to try it with historical OOBs for each scenario instead of the custom core troops. I've been playing Morning Sun that way but only at the medium setting. I imagine that the OOB for U.S. Marines are readily available.
I've never heard of a such Mod, which would introduce historical rules to the game.
w_michael

Post by w_michael »

kondi754 wrote:
w_michael wrote:Since there is no higher difficulty level you might want to try it with historical OOBs for each scenario instead of the custom core troops. I've been playing Morning Sun that way but only at the medium setting. I imagine that the OOB for U.S. Marines are readily available.
I've never heard of a such Mod, which would introduce historical rules to the game.
It is not a mod; it is research. I am currently playing the Morning Sun campaign, and just started the Battle of Nanchang, March 1939. Before the battle I used this to limit what Japanese forces I could use: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_ ... f_Nanchang

I figure that every unit is a regiment so for a Japanese "square" infantry division I would have 4 infantry, 1 cavalry, 1 artillery, and one engineer unit. I deploy each division using my core troops as much as possible, and purchase only when required. Likewise with the Ishii Tank Unit. You don't have enough Command Points to create the entire Japanese 11th Army, but you build what you can. I deploy all of the components of a division or brigade before starting the next, with the exception of army level assets which would be broken up and allocated as the army commander saw fit. There are enough air Command Points to deploy the entire 3rd Flight Group (4 squadrons).
kondi754

Post by kondi754 »

It's very interesting.
I am trying to play Panzer Corps in accordance with historical realities.
The point is that I buy new equipment only when it actually came to the front units and I try to keep the proportions in equipment according to historical realities.
For example: my main artillery weapon is the M7 self-propelled guns (the British called them "Priests"), although I could have rearm all my artillery in the more modern and larger M12s.
Similarly to the aircraft, in June 1944 I have 70% P-47 (Thunderbolt) and about 30% P-38 Lighting.
Don't buy P-51 (Mustang) because they weren't in the 9th Tactical Army USAAF.
w_michael

Post by w_michael »

I try to do the same and not always upgrade to better hardware. It took a while for new equipment to reach all front line troops. Fortunately the web sites that I have been using state the equipment if known. In 1939 China you can start to see the Japanese "square" infantry divisions converting to "triangular" ones, so that there are a mix of both kinds fighting side by side. I'm enjoying the intrinsic cavalry regiments of the "square" divisions (they are quite useful, and not as bad in this theatre as I expected). I likely wouldn't ever have deployed any cavalry if I just picked the units I wanted, so I would have missed out on discovering their usefulness. It takes me a half hour or more to set up for a scenario as I also rename each unit and give it the proper historical designation, but it increases my enjoyment. It is to OOB's credit that the scenarios can be enjoyed by both casual gamers and Grognards.

Return to “Order of Battle Series”