Bridge on the river Kwai

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

AEMIL
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Bridge on the river Kwai

Post by AEMIL »

I have just remembered movie Bridge on the river Kwai , that reminded me that allies didnt just blow bridges up

with special forces. They also used bomber to destroy them. That could also be added to the game;

that bombers could destroy bridges!
NCOW
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Re: Bridge on the river Kwai

Post by NCOW »

Just read about the raid that did this The plane had two 1000 lb bombs and one failed to drop from the bay. The other hit the bridge mid span, dead center and dropped it. Playing Burma got me very interested in the history. The fall of Singapore is like the colonial Titanic -- a great movie about that event could be made.
bru888
Order of Battle Moderator
Order of Battle Moderator

Re: Bridge on the river Kwai

Post by bru888 »

One probably could design something in OOB to simulate a bomber destroying a bridge:

* Designate the hex containing the bridge as a supply point.
* The bomber will now be able to bomb the hex without an enemy unit occupying it.
* When the bomber has reduced a certain amount of supply being generated by the hex, use a trigger to destroy the bridge.

There is an explosion effect that goes along with destroying the bridge but it's rather modest compared to the drama of the Bridge on the River Kwai going down! OOB does not have the zoom-in scale necessary to do that scene justice, unfortunately.
- Bru

Return to “Order of Battle Series”