Dunkirk

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: The Artistocrats, Order of Battle Moderators

WarHomer
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Re: Dunkirk

Post by WarHomer »

I found it challenging and therefore liked it.

I didnt get my air commander too, though. Does anybody know whats up with that?
kondi754
General - Elite King Tiger

Post by kondi754 »

Alexander1 wrote:One of the secondary objective in Dunkirk scenario was "shoot down Spitfire". Promised reward is the new fighter commander. I did not manage to shoot it down on its first appearance - it escaped of the map for repairs with 1 hp. I finally shot it down after it came back to the map. But no commander picture appeared after that. I already had Hans Batcher (as bomber commander) and Gerhard Barkhorn (as fighter). Was the third one too much? :)

It is not a big deal in this campaign as German air superiority is overwhelming. However, in the following campaigns (we all hope they will come soon) when things will start to get more complicated for Germany and ability to import core force, this additional commander will be very needed.
Commanders are deleted after each campaign, you can't move them to the next one.
I found it challenging and therefore liked it.

I didnt get my air commander too, though. Does anybody know whats up with that?
If you received commander in Norway Scn (Hans Batcher) in Dunkirk Scn you did not get him, because it's the same hero.
Last edited by kondi754 on Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alexander1
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Alexander1 »

Commanders are deleted after each campaign, you can't move them to the next one.
If you received commander in Norway Scn (Hans Batcher) in Dunkirk Scn you did not get him, because it's the same hero.
Thanks for clarification!
kondi754

Post by kondi754 »

Alexander1 wrote:
Thanks for clarification!
You're welcome.
Have fun. :)
kverdon
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by kverdon »

I have to agree with most of the sentiment here. I also pressed to Dunkirk, wiped out the British but then lost due to trying to track down the last French unit to kill. Like others the French Army pressed to the Southeast so it was a pain to reverse course and try to hunt and kill them. It was also WAY to easy to wipe out the transports. I deployed my Stukas first from Oostend and then from St. Omer. Once you use your Stukas to kill of the two DDs then it is just hover and sink. What was absurd was that the French had 3 fighters flying around straffing my units I left behind to guard my flanks (to no effect I should add). They should have been covering the beachhead transports.

There always seems to be one completely whacked out scenario that has only a marginal historical basis, hopefully Dunkirk was it and the rest are better thought out.
bjarmson
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by bjarmson »

Yeah, it seems to me there is interesting scenario of Dunkirk waiting to be made, unfortunately this isn't it.
NightPhoenix
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by NightPhoenix »

Hello,

I got a question regarding the Dunkirk scenario. It has come to my attention that while you are playing the scenario, the event to either kill transports, or kill a spitfire should show up. I have played the scenario twice, but i have never seen those events. I have no clue what the conditions are for making those events appear. Since it seems or might be related to previous objectives the relevant data is this i think: I have gotten both air aces in Warsaw and in Norway. Then during the Dunkirk scenario i dash straight for the coast. Capturing Dunkirk on turn 13 at which point i can't see any transport ships, also the English haven't been able to ship out any units yet (at least not to my knowledge). I checked to the north-west near the exit points, there are only 2 destroyers there. I did get the Operation Dynamo special event, and made the Belgians surrender. Later on in the scenario i was able to destroy more than the required amount of English troops, in fact the enemy troops were plenty, stuck in the middle of the map. I never saw any spitfires during the scenario either.

Any other data i would be willing to provide. Is there anyone who knows about this and would be able to shed some light on it?

Thanks and best regards.
richfed

Post by richfed »

I have had the "spitfire" event fire a couple of times. Not sure of what triggered it, but I achieved the objective anyhow - somehow. In fact, I have achieved ALL the "secondary" objectives in this scenario twice - still lost because a few enemy units remained on the map that I failed to destroy. Tough nut to crack, this one.
richfed

Post by richfed »

Shards wrote:Can I check, are you guys getting the trigger where the map is revealed after you've achieved dominance (which rather helps with finding the last enemy units!)
Yes! But, too late to move long distances to track them all down successfully. I WILL prevail, though ... sooner or later. :lol:
richfed

Post by richfed »

Victory on the next try ... had to leave a few infantry units in the rear to help with mopping up. Onward to France!
MikeAP
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by MikeAP »

Honestly, stopped playing OOB:Blitz after the Dunkirk mission.

Maybe the follow-up missions are good, but after Dunkirk it feels like its more of the same poorly designed scenarios from OOB:Pacific.

Maybe I'll pick it up again after a few patches or at another time.
NightPhoenix

Post by NightPhoenix »

Again people saying it's badly designed....no reason, explaination. Why bother posting stuff like this. If criticism is not constructive it's rather useless and nothing can or will be changed. Please say why you think specifically why it's bad, what tactics you used. How did you deploy your troops and why didn't it work out? If the designers don't know whats wrong ( if there actually is something wrong ) it can't be fixed.
MikeAP
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by MikeAP »

NightPhoenix wrote:Again people saying it's badly designed....no reason, explaination. Why bother posting stuff like this. If criticism is not constructive it's rather useless and nothing can or will be changed. Please say why you think specifically why it's bad, what tactics you used. How did you deploy your troops and why didn't it work out? If the designers don't know whats wrong ( if there actually is something wrong ) it can't be fixed.
Read the thread. Details have been explained, as well as recommendations to make the scenario better.
NightPhoenix

Post by NightPhoenix »

Actually most people posting here are very inconclusive. For example, i don't see you describing how you deployed your units. Everything in the South, only a few in the East? I get it that some people missed a unit somewhere, or get attacked at seemingly random times and encircled, or the units get behind your lines. When were you attacked? Where? Only in the South? also North? East? Is it really random? Which turn, how were the units placed? Some people seem to go for Belgium first, how does the rest of their fighting go? It seems that people do not defend their 1 city which brings supply and then it gets cut off. Where were the rest of their units? Was it smart to do this? The briefing does talk of counterattacks. Some people aren't able to kill all units on time. Interesting, but again more information is needed as to why it happened. There are so many questions with this stuff. The devs also can't do anything if the data is inconclusive and then get tips such as, the enemy needs to be set to defensive. Okey, why? because they are surrounded and breaking out is not allowed then? please elaborate. Maybe the description for the scenario can be improved to be more clear on what is needed, or something like that.

I'm interested about what might actually be a problem and how it might be fixed so the game might be better but specific info is needed.
kondi754

Post by kondi754 »

NightPhoenix wrote:Actually most people posting here are very inconclusive. For example, i don't see you describing how you deployed your units. Everything in the South, only a few in the East? I get it that some people missed a unit somewhere, or get attacked at seemingly random times and encircled, or the units get behind your lines. When were you attacked? Where? Only in the South? also North? East? Is it really random? Which turn, how were the units placed? Some people seem to go for Belgium first, how does the rest of their fighting go? It seems that people do not defend their 1 city which brings supply and then it gets cut off. Where were the rest of their units? Was it smart to do this? The briefing does talk of counterattacks. Some people aren't able to kill all units on time. Interesting, but again more information is needed as to why it happened. There are so many questions with this stuff. The devs also can't do anything if the data is inconclusive and then get tips such as, the enemy needs to be set to defensive. Okey, why? because they are surrounded and breaking out is not allowed then? please elaborate. Maybe the description for the scenario can be improved to be more clear on what is needed, or something like that.

I'm interested about what might actually be a problem and how it might be fixed so the game might be better but specific info is needed.
I agree with you, from the descriptions provided here I conclude that most of the problems arise from ignorance of the basic rules of tactics which leads to failure and frustration. :wink:
MikeAP
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by MikeAP »

kondi754 wrote:from the descriptions provided here I conclude that most of the problems arise from ignorance of the basic rules of tactics which leads to failure and frustration. :wink:
MikeAP wrote:I don't understand why the primary objective is kill X French units? That wasn't the historical objective of the operation.

If the in-game Primary objective was seize Dunkirk to prevent the British Army from escaping then it would make more sense, instead of playing hide-and-seek with French units that are nowhere near Dunkirk (...?). Maybe secondary objective would be the destruction of the British Army (x amount of British units)
TDefender
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by TDefender »

I'm sorry I have to agree completely with the op : this is an odd devised scenario, it shoud be a "rush" where you have an overwhelming army but few time to destroy as many enemy units you can but it's the exact contrary with never-ending boring turn (considering the huge number of units) where you even have to face several counter-attacks, protect the rearguard (!!!) facing enemy air superiority... arguable rewards for secondary goals and most of all, it's also bugged!!! at the end of the scenario I sunk some enemy ship transports (obviously with ground units embarked) with my stukas but the kill was not counted and I finished with one unit to go and got stucked :roll: I reload previous save games but the issue happened again and I also notice that even some ground kills were not counted... this is very annoying, I was forced to move on using #igotnuke
NightPhoenix

Post by NightPhoenix »

I always thought the counterattacks make it more interesting. As you say, if i know they are not going to counterattack and just sit there, even with a short time limit it might become boring, just a mopping up operation. I understand for some people it might be strange, but having a rearguard and actually maintaining a pocket with troops at strategic locations to make sure the Allies cannot just simply escape or mount an effective counterattack is just common sense. It's like putting a sign there: Hey guys i know we just got you 300.000 guys surrounded and all, but for conveniences sake I'm going to leave this 50km wide area open without troops and leave the rear undefended, so if you want you can just go there and flee or attack us in the rear. I wouldn't think its fair though because that's not how it works.

Now as to what you say are bugs, this would be a real problem, and i would advise you to make a post about this probably in the tech support section, preferably with a safe file while on that particular map. Because that would be a serious problem that needs to be looked at.
Andy2012
Order of Battle Moderator

Post by Andy2012 »

TDefender wrote:I'm sorry I have to agree completely with the op : this is an odd devised scenario, it shoud be a "rush" where you have an overwhelming army but few time to destroy as many enemy units you can but it's the exact contrary with never-ending boring turn (considering the huge number of units) where you even have to face several counter-attacks, protect the rearguard (!!!) facing enemy air superiority... arguable rewards for secondary goals and most of all, it's also bugged!!! at the end of the scenario I sunk some enemy ship transports (obviously with ground units embarked) with my stukas but the kill was not counted and I finished with one unit to go and got stucked :roll: I reload previous save games but the issue happened again and I also notice that even some ground kills were not counted... this is very annoying, I was forced to move on using #igotnuke
Okay, this seems to be pretty serious and not up for debate. If the counter isnt working properly and you cant find the last unit to kill, there are definitely some bugs there.
Andy2012

Post by Andy2012 »

NightPhoenix wrote:I always thought the counterattacks make it more interesting. As you say, if i know they are not going to counterattack and just sit there, even with a short time limit it might become boring, just a mopping up operation. I understand for some people it might be strange, but having a rearguard and actually maintaining a pocket with troops at strategic locations to make sure the Allies cannot just simply escape or mount an effective counterattack is just common sense. It's like putting a sign there: Hey guys i know we just got you 300.000 guys surrounded and all, but for conveniences sake I'm going to leave this 50km wide area open without troops and leave the rear undefended, so if you want you can just go there and flee or attack us in the rear. I wouldn't think its fair though because that's not how it works.

Now as to what you say are bugs, this would be a real problem, and i would advise you to make a post about this probably in the tech support section, preferably with a safe file while on that particular map. Because that would be a serious problem that needs to be looked at.
I still like Blitzkrieg and Dunkirk was fun, but now that you mention it, counterattacking towards the Wehrmacht's deployment area does not make that much sense. I mean, they were surrounded - attacking deep into enemy territory (Germany) is not prudent in that situation. You stretch out your troops and weaken your lines near your escape port Dunkirk. If anything, they should push towards France into safety. And as was mentioned earlier here, your core is too small to do a double pincer towards Dunkirk (which I understand most people around here did or attempted) and hold the rear deployment area at the same time. AI Garrison units would fix that; somewhat like those AI cruisers in Coral Sea in the US campaign. Mostly passive, but present. But lets see what the devs dream up.

Return to “Order of Battle Series”