Ivalo in lapland war

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

levince55
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Ivalo in lapland war

Post by levince55 »

Hi everybody

I'm stuck in last mission of DLC winter war. I did manage to capture Ivalo before the soviets, and still this secondary objective isn't fullfilled. I don't get my ten points. Bug ? Or did I miss something ?
mhladnik
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Re: Ivalo in lapland war

Post by mhladnik »

I believe that's a bug. Everyone's experiencing that ... Perhaps an objective wrongly set?
DirkW
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by DirkW »

Bug, wrong city. They will patch this with the next patch or maybe never. Cause the dev don´t answer to questions they don´t wan´t to hear in the first place.
levince55
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by levince55 »

Ok. This scenario is so full of bugs it is unwinnable. I conquered every secondary objectives but I don't get any rewards. I've maintained soviet approval, there is no germans left on the map and yet the outcome is defeat ? We need a patch !
Andy2012
Order of Battle Moderator

Post by Andy2012 »

levince55 wrote:Ok. This scenario is so full of bugs it is unwinnable. I conquered every secondary objectives but I don't get any rewards. I've maintained soviet approval, there is no germans left on the map and yet the outcome is defeat ? We need a patch !
I won this scenario and finished the campaign. Quite an abrupt ending, but still a lot of fun.
However, I conquered Ivalo and still did not get my bonus approval.
I think what is necessary to win this is to wipe out all german units, conquer all cities and the northwest airfield and knock out the german bunkers.

Strangest thing was when my soviet allies started to bomb my former german friends with Stukas starting from the northwest airbase, which was then still in enemy hands. 2 soviet Stukas swirling around the battlefield. Not IL2s. :shock:

Another issue: In the first missions, I was always pressed for resources and struggled to keep the soviets at bay. This was hard, but okay and historically accurate. However, in the last two missions, I had more prestige to spend than I knew what to do with. Literally finished it with around 600-700 and all units perfectly fixed. Felt kind of unbalanced; Missions actually got easier.

I mean, I like this game a lot and I am quite aware how small the dev team is and how much work went into this. Still, this is kind of off-putting. I had my fair share of bugs and hardware and AI problems with the original OOB: Pacific. This is the first DLC i bought and I feel somewhat apprehensive about Blitzkrieg now. I dont mind some problems with exotic hardware or historical inaccuracies (it's a game after all), but paying for a product that still needs a few more days work feels awkward.
Mojko
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by Mojko »

Andy2012 wrote:
levince55 wrote:Ok. This scenario is so full of bugs it is unwinnable. I conquered every secondary objectives but I don't get any rewards. I've maintained soviet approval, there is no germans left on the map and yet the outcome is defeat ? We need a patch !
I won this scenario and finished the campaign. Quite an abrupt ending, but still a lot of fun.
I think what is necessary to win this is to wipe out all german units, conquer all cities and the northwest airfield and knock out the german bunkers.

Strangest thing was when my soviet allies started to bomb my former german friends with Stukas starting from the northwest airbase, which was then still in enemy hands. 2 soviet Stukas swirling around the battlefield. Not IL2s. :shock:

Another issue: In the first missions, I was always pressed for resources and struggled to keep the soviets at bay. This was hard, but okay and historically accurate. However, in the last two missions, I had more prestige to spend than I knew what to do with. Literally finished it with around 600-700 and all units perfectly fixed. Felt kind of unbalanced; Missions actually got easier.

I mean, I like this game a lot and I am quite aware how small the dev team is and how much work went into this. Still, this is kind of off-putting. I had my fair share of bugs and hardware and AI problems with the original OOB: Pacific. This is the first DLC i bought and I feel somewhat apprehensive about Blitzkrieg now. I don't mind some problems with exotic hardware or historical inaccuracies (it's a game after all), but paying for a product that still needs a few more days work feels awkward.
As far as I know the bonus objective works fine, however the objective marker does not point to the correct city. The city you need to capture is located further to the north. The Stukas are obviously spawned for the wrong team - they should be spawned for Germans, not Russians. A funny thing happened to me during my play - the Russian Stukas landed on my airfield and prevented by bomber from landing and refueling. Such scumbags. On the serious note I don't quite understand why I can't use the airfield when your ally has planes landed there. Note that there certainly were empty slots for more airplanes.

Off topic: I was really disappointed by the KV-1 bonus objective. You finally receive a cool tank, but I found little use for it. It's useless in the Someri scenario and after that we fast forward to 1944 where it becomes obsolete.
Author and maintainer of Unit Navigator Tool for Order Of Battle (http://mfendek.byethost16.com/)
Uhu
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger

Post by Uhu »

Winter War DLC is a half-made product, with a lot of bugs and lazy design. :?
I started to make something better from it, you can download already the first part:
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 74&t=73616
Andy2012 wrote:

I mean, I like this game a lot and I am quite aware how small the dev team is and how much work went into this. Still, this is kind of off-putting. I had my fair share of bugs and hardware and AI problems with the original OOB: Pacific. This is the first DLC i bought and I feel somewhat apprehensive about Blitzkrieg now. I dont mind some problems with exotic hardware or historical inaccuracies (it's a game after all), but paying for a product that still needs a few more days work feels awkward.
Andy2012

Post by Andy2012 »

Uhu wrote:Winter War DLC is a half-made product, with a lot of bugs and lazy design. :?
I started to make something better from it, you can download already the first part:
I always had the same feeling with the original game. Great ideas, great looks and potential but 1-3 months more work was necessary to make a really polished game.
Also, the mission design and balancing over the whole campaign felt slightly off. Missions veered around between too easy and hellishly difficult. Why do AA units and AT units support nearby friends, but Artillery does not? Bombers do waaaay too much damage in return when attacked by fighters. Infantry types could be way more differentiated. Prestige is either too little to be fun or way too much. Briefings are stale. Events during Missions are sparse and could be used way more often to make everything feel more exciting. Summed up, the game has a strong foundation and dedicated developers, but seriously needs to spend more time on mission design and balancing.

I really don't want to be a dick like some people are around here (nobody on this thread). Developing a game is really a long, hard slog and bills need to be paid. Yet this game is so great, but wastes a lot of potential.

Oh yeah, Uhu, keep up the great work. Will try it out. :D
Andy2012

Post by Andy2012 »

Mojko wrote:
As far as I know the bonus objective works fine, however the objective marker does not point to the correct city. The city you need to capture is located further to the north. The Stukas are obviously spawned for the wrong team - they should be spawned for Germans, not Russians. A funny thing happened to me during my play - the Russian Stukas landed on my airfield and prevented by bomber from landing and refueling. Such scumbags. On the serious note I don't quite understand why I can't use the airfield when your ally has planes landed there. Note that there certainly were empty slots for more airplanes.

Off topic: I was really disappointed by the KV-1 bonus objective. You finally receive a cool tank, but I found little use for it. It's useless in the Someri scenario and after that we fast forward to 1944 where it becomes obsolete.
Well, this should be easy to fix then, right?
Yeah, those Stukas annoyed me too. Blocked my bombing targets.
Also, during Tali-Ihantala (is that the right name? Second to last mission), I received an infantry commander with 30 shock damage. He was never mentioned in the briefing or in the mission goals. (Forgot his name.) I mean, these are all things which can be fixed in a jiffy...at least the game does not freeze during AI turns anymore.
As far as tanks go, I only used the Stugs after getting access to them. Best investment ever. Kept the KV around for its massive armor as a blocking force.
The strongest missions were still the iconic Winter War missions (Raate road, Suomussalmi etc). This actually felt like the Finns fought - cutting off supply lines, then starving them out. The rest always felt a bit rushed. :cry:
levince55
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by levince55 »

There was one last tiny german unit on the map which prevented me to win. This is a bit ridiculous. The victory conditions should be changed.

Why do we gain so much prestige in this fairly easy scenario ? It would have been more helpful in the previous ones.
Andy2012

Post by Andy2012 »

levince55 wrote:There was one last tiny german unit on the map which prevented me to win. This is a bit ridiculous. The victory conditions should be changed.

Why do we gain so much prestige in this fairly easy scenario ? It would have been more helpful in the previous ones.
Okay, obviously this issue has been around for a while now.
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 72&t=73788

To be honest, this DLC kinda felt like playing the Morning Sun Beta. Fun, but a bit rough around the edges. And for that quality, the price tag was just not justified. For a polished product it would have been okay. Sadly, this reminds me of the original game. :roll:

At first, I was pretty stoked for Blitzkrieg. After this, I will watch the forums before buying another "banana principle" (product matures at customer's place) game.
Uhu

Post by Uhu »

I have collected a long list off bugs, issues or wrong design decisions. If most of these will not be fixed, than I do not see any sense to play further OOB games. As you said: the game has huge potential. But potential is one thing, what is used from it is another.
But the even more sad thing is the behiour of the devs, who ignore most of the questions and give almost zero support for people, who would make valuable content to the game. Almost everybody of them was so engraged and frustrated about it, that quit the game. You can see the difference in the scenario design forum threads of PzC and OOB: the first one is thriewing, even after more then 5 years of the first game, really great campaigns, mods are made (BE Europe!). OOB? Almost nothing. :(
Andy2012 wrote:
Uhu wrote:Winter War DLC is a half-made product, with a lot of bugs and lazy design. :?
I always had the same feeling with the original game. Great ideas, great looks and potential but 1-3 months more work was necessary to make a really polished game.
Also, the mission design and balancing over the whole campaign felt slightly off. Missions veered around between too easy and hellishly difficult. Why do AA units and AT units support nearby friends, but Artillery does not? Bombers do waaaay too much damage in return when attacked by fighters. Infantry types could be way more differentiated. Prestige is either too little to be fun or way too much. Briefings are stale. Events during Missions are sparse and could be used way more often to make everything feel more exciting. Summed up, the game has a strong foundation and dedicated developers, but seriously needs to spend more time on mission design and balancing.

I really don't want to be a dick like some people are around here (nobody on this thread). Developing a game is really a long, hard slog and bills need to be paid. Yet this game is so great, but wastes a lot of potential.

Oh yeah, Uhu, keep up the great work. Will try it out. :D
Andy2012

Post by Andy2012 »

Uhu wrote:I have collected a long list off bugs, issues or wrong design decisions. If most of these will not be fixed, than I do not see any sense to play further OOB games. As you said: the game has huge potential. But potential is one thing, what is used from it is another.
But the even more sad thing is the behiour of the devs, who ignore most of the questions and give almost zero support for people, who would make valuable content to the game. Almost everybody of them was so engraged and frustrated about it, that quit the game. You can see the difference in the scenario design forum threads of PzC and OOB: the first one is thriewing, even after more then 5 years of the first game, really great campaigns, mods are made (BE Europe!). OOB? Almost nothing. :(
Well, as I said, I assume they are a small team with a limited budget and on a deadline to meet financial goals. The market for these games is small. This is not Call of Duty, remember? And Panzercorps is an established brand which probably sucks up modders, players and revenues. And you can still be a beta tester for Blitzkrieg. I tried that once but just cant find the time (and nerve to be honest) to do it properly.

Btw, that's what I mean with "I don't want to sound like an obnoxious dick" - because some guys around here are. (Not saying you are one.) But the devs do this for making money, you do it for fun. Those annoying pests in some threads whinging about historical inaccuracies or specific tank types dont get that this is a game and Slitherine is a business. Let's keep some perspective here, okay? Mods are fun but free. They take a toll on devs but make no money for them. However, I still believe this is not an excuse for churning out semi-finished products.

And I promise to check out your mod. Don't despair. :D
And do tell everybody about what Blitzkrieg is like - I assume you are a betatester, right?
Uhu

Post by Uhu »

Andy2012 wrote: They take a toll on devs but make no money for them.
I disagree with this. People are looking - especially at such games -, how much additional content is available. So, modders make value for the product - for free. It can also happen, that talented personal show up, who can be joined the dev team.
Andy2012 wrote:And I promise to check out your mod. Don't despair. :D
Actually, I made it priorly for myself, because I did not like the very unhistorical approach of many parts of the campaign at all. But I'm happy, if other players have fun with it too. :)
Andy2012 wrote: I assume you are a betatester, right?
Not yet. I have not yet decided. I would like to see first, how open minded the devs are to the needed changes.
Andy2012

Post by Andy2012 »

Uhu wrote:
Andy2012 wrote: They take a toll on devs but make no money for them.

I disagree with this. People are looking - especially at such games -, how much additional content is available. So, modders make value for the product - for free. It can also happen, that talented personal show up, who can be joined the dev team.
Yeah, modders make value for the product. But an in-house DLC makes value for the original game and generates cash-flow directly. So, from a financial point of view, do these first and the spend time on modders later. I still appreciate your effort, though. But it's good to know that you see this as a labour of love. Cant wait to try it.

Btw, Slitherine and the Artistocrats should have your CV by now, right? Best investment ever. #hired :D 8)
Patothief
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by Patothief »

Late reply but just to let people know that the last missing works and is beatable without problems.

Russian approval counter shows wrong value still but after you destroy 75 troups (number written in the primary objectives) the scenario will end with victory.

For one, I really enjoyed winter war dlc (my first dlc here).
WarHomer
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by WarHomer »

I loved Winter War, and its still one of my favorites.

Only gripe I had was that it was too short (like the other DLC´s) and that limits replayability and diversity. Didn´t bother much with the last mission (as I usually dont) since its goodbye to my units after that.

Return to “Order of Battle Series”