Order of Battle: Pacific open beta for PC

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: The Artistocrats, Order of Battle Moderators

Andy2012
Order of Battle Moderator

Re: Order of Battle: Pacific open beta for PC

Post by Andy2012 »

adherbal wrote:For those who have access to the beta forum, please grab the beta patch there. If no major issues are found we'll release it publically today or tomorrow.

The changelog for this patch:

- Custom camouflage skins for ground vehicles: Accessible through the unit information panel.
- Access to DLC manager in the main menu: Click the wooden crate icon in the top right corner.
- Captured units can now be repaired, but only at 1 strength point per turn.
- Spanish language added
- Bunkers and MG Foxholes can no longer be constructed adjacent to an enemy ground unit
- Mines can no longer be placed on exit points
- When upgrading an aircraft stored in a carrier, it can no longer take off during the same turn
Sounds good, even though I am apparently not invited to test. Oh, well. :?
How about those memory and internal build optimisations you talked about? I am pretty keen on those - I want to continue the US campaign.
calmhatchery
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by calmhatchery »

cool canges.... So im waiting for link with the patch....
calmhatchery
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by calmhatchery »

cool new feautures!! Im waiting for the link with this open beta patch..!!
adherbal
The Artistocrats
The Artistocrats

Post by adherbal »

Andy check your PMs.
Andy2012

Post by Andy2012 »

adherbal wrote:Andy check your PMs.
Just did, thanks for the link. :D
Andy2012

Post by Andy2012 »

Andy2012 wrote:
adherbal wrote:Andy check your PMs.
Just did, thanks for the link. :D
Final question, while still downloading - will this be the beta discussion thread or is there a closed forum for this?
adherbal
The Artistocrats
The Artistocrats

Post by adherbal »

We won't be managing this as a private beta test so feel free to post feedback on the public forum. If there is anything specific to the beta patch best start the topic title with "Beta patch:" or something to avoid confusion.
calmhatchery
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by calmhatchery »

Adherbal when the open beta patch will be ready please inform us ....
Andy2012

Post by Andy2012 »

adherbal wrote:We won't be managing this as a private beta test so feel free to post feedback on the public forum. If there is anything specific to the beta patch best start the topic title with "Beta patch:" or something to avoid confusion.
Well, downloaded, installed and tested for 30 min. Good news and bad news.
My problems were a laggy AI turn and generally problems with loading the quicksave.
The thread: viewtopic.php?f=372&t=65471

Good news first: I was able to finish the AI turn in 2D with performance settings really low. (The stuff I posted
in the link above.) Game loaded really fast; I was impressed. During the AI turn, the AI worked differently and attacked
from different angles. The turn finished; I was back in control. The AI was still pretty slow and took 2-4 min; but it finished.

Then it was my turn. I switched on the details to enjoy your creation (love it still). Everything went smoothly (on a technical level, let's just not talk about
my performance in Leyte).

Then the AI turn, this time with full details (3d map, all effects etc.). The AI turn was slow (and crushingly efficient, damn those slit-eyed bastards. Sorry.), but it worked. The bar "thinking, executing actions" slowly filled up and then the AI turn finished. But the game stayed there, the tab with my mission objectives did not appear. (And still has not, I have it tabbed.) The game somewhat froze at the end of the AI turn. I can move around and look at things, the AI is apparently done - but I can't start my turn.

Well, I will try over the weekend to set it to 2D and see whether it finishes with minimum details. But those are my first impressions. You guys have obviously solved some problems, but there are still some kinks there. I would be blaming my computer, but I don't believe the AI is so sophisticated that it churns through 4gigs of RAM just like that. (If it is, tell me.) I will post the results here.

On a side note - Leyte is freaking hard. Might have to restart alltogether - I am playing on the hardest difficulty. I am a Panzercorps Veteran, finished on Fieldmarshal, Afrikakorps and Allied Corps as well. Either I have lost my edge or the US campaign is outlandishly hard.
Andy2012

Post by Andy2012 »

Andy2012 wrote:
adherbal wrote:We won't be managing this as a private beta test so feel free to post feedback on the public forum. If there is anything specific to the beta patch best start the topic title with "Beta patch:" or something to avoid confusion.
My problems were a laggy AI turn and generally problems with loading the quicksave.

Good news first: I was able to finish the AI turn in 2D with performance settings really low. (The stuff I posted
in the link above.) Game loaded really fast; I was impressed. During the AI turn, the AI worked differently and attacked
from different angles. The turn finished; I was back in control. The AI was still pretty slow and took 2-4 min; but it finished.

Then it was my turn. I switched on the details to enjoy your creation (love it still). Everything went smoothly (on a technical level, let's just not talk about

Then the AI turn, this time with full details (3d map, all effects etc.). The AI turn was slow (and crushingly efficient, damn those slit-eyed bastards. Sorry.), but it worked. The bar "thinking, executing actions" slowly filled up and then the AI turn finished. But the game stayed there, the tab with my mission objectives did not appear. (And still has not, I have it tabbed.) The game somewhat froze at the end of the AI turn. I can move around and look at things, the AI is apparently done - but I can't start my turn.

Well, I will try over the weekend to set it to 2D and see whether it finishes with minimum details. But those are my first impressions. You guys have obviously solved some problems, but there are still some kinks there. I would be blaming my computer, but I don't believe the AI is so sophisticated that it churns through 4gigs of RAM just like that. (If it is, tell me.) I will post the results here.

On a side note - Leyte is freaking hard. Might have to restart alltogether - I am playing on the hardest difficulty. I am a Panzercorps Veteran, finished on Fieldmarshal, Afrikakorps and Allied Corps as well. Either I have lost my edge or the US campaign is outlandishly hard.
Just set it to 2d, minimum details - same results.
Just attaching the savegame here, in case you want to reproduce this.
I still love this game and your work - but there is just no way a 2D hex strategy game can cripple my PC more than, say, Call of Duty.
If I have any new results, I will post them here. (But there are limits to my unpaid frustration. I dont mean to rude and I want to support you, but this is not my job.)
Andy2012

Post by Andy2012 »

Andy2012 wrote:
Andy2012 wrote:

Just set it to 2d, minimum details - same results.
Just attaching the savegame here, in case you want to reproduce this.
I still love this game and your work - but there is just no way a 2D hex strategy game can cripple my PC more than, say, Call of Duty.
If I have any new results, I will post them here. (But there are limits to my unpaid frustration. I dont mean to rude and I want to support you, but this is not my job.)
Oops, forgot to add the file. My bad.
Attachments
OoBP_Beta_Crash.zip
(38.5 KiB) Downloaded 104 times
harry_vdk
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by harry_vdk »

My jeep don't move but the AI think its move.
HiddenJeepSmall.jpg
HiddenJeepSmall.jpg (116.32 KiB) Viewed 3570 times
Attachments
output_log.zip
(228.16 KiB) Downloaded 89 times
Hidden Jeep.saz.zip
(3.97 KiB) Downloaded 96 times
Andy2012

Post by Andy2012 »

Hi guys,

Openbeta is installed, the hotfix for the crash problems described above as well. Thanks, adherbal. :D

Savegames and scenarios load noticeably faster - the bar first doesn't move, then it fills right up. Nice.

I am currently restarting Leyte and will play around with it somewhat. If it crashes, I will post it here.
Right now, my old crash issues are gone. AI turns are still somewhat slow, but they do finish.

Another issue I had before: The game does not load quicksaves flawlessly from a current, running game.
What I mean: I save (F5), do stupid stuff, want to quickload (F8), confirm the prompt, then comes the loading screen
with the gameplay advice. The advice cycles over and over and over - but the bar does not fill up.
Usually, i just bruteforced it then and alt-tabbed out of there (did wait couple of minutes once, did not help), then finished it off on desktop.
I restarted the game and then loaded the quicksave from the menu - no problem.
I am guessing that this is a memory issue as well, right? I am attaching the quicksave to this post; but I had this issue before the beta and the hotfix. Maybe there are some similarities there. (You have the files, I posted them.)
(The advantage of this bug - I am not descending into an overly perfectionist quickload orgy.)

Keep up the good work. :D
Andy
Attachments
OoBP_Beta_Crash_Quickload.zip
(36.08 KiB) Downloaded 88 times
adherbal
The Artistocrats
The Artistocrats

Post by adherbal »

I loaded your quicksave, moved 1 ship, hit F5 (quicksave), hit F8 (quickload) & confirmed. This all worked.

So can you confirm these exact actions are failing for you (loading bar doesn't fill)? And if it does fail, please upload the log file from once it's obvious the loading bar is not moving at all (give it a minute or so).
Andy2012

Post by Andy2012 »

adherbal wrote:I loaded your quicksave, moved 1 ship, hit F5 (quicksave), hit F8 (quickload) & confirmed. This all worked.

So can you confirm these exact actions are failing for you (loading bar doesn't fill)? And if it does fail, please upload the log file from once it's obvious the loading bar is not moving at all (give it a minute or so).
Well, I just loaded my quicksave, moved one ship, quicksaved, quickloaded and it froze as usual. Odd.
I waited a couple of minutes and saw the loading tips cycle over and over and over.
Outputlog is attached. (This was the file you were asking for, right?)
Attachments
OoBP_Beta_Quickload_freeze_outputlog.zip
(2.4 KiB) Downloaded 102 times
Andy2012

Post by Andy2012 »

Andy2012 wrote:
adherbal wrote:I loaded your quicksave, moved 1 ship, hit F5 (quicksave), hit F8 (quickload) & confirmed. This all worked.

Well, I just loaded my quicksave, moved one ship, quicksaved, quickloaded and it froze as usual. Odd.
I waited a couple of minutes and saw the loading tips cycle over and over and over.
Outputlog is attached. (This was the file you were asking for, right?)
Thanks for the hotfix and PMs, adherbal. I will just post this here in case somebody else has this problem.
I think I have found the culprit (even though that does not solve the problem), just narrows it down:
As soon as I switch to 2D map (ugly, ugly, ugly), the quickload works like a charm. As soon as I switch to 3d map, the bar does not move and the loading tips start their eternal cycle. Interestingly, this happens when I leave performance related things like weather effects off and just switch on the 3d map. So - drumroll - it must be the 3d map. Well, now it's your turn to work your magic.
Decaff
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Decaff »

I just found out about the beta patch today, can I still gain access?
Galangalad
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Galangalad »

You can join anytime.

Here is the sticky link:

http://slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=264&t=65639
Decaff
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint