How to use Torpedos efficiently?

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

Longasc
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

How to use Torpedos efficiently?

Post by Longasc »

Somehow the AI has a way better grasp how to do some damage with torpedos.

What must I do so that my Destroyers and Subs don't fall into the "0" damage and with luck 1 damage category? Any maneuvering tricks or so?
adherbal
The Artistocrats
The Artistocrats

Re: How to use Torpedos efficiently?

Post by adherbal »

Torpedos are more effective the closer you are to the target and when fired against ships which fired but didn't move ("evasive manoeuvres") during their turn. The latter is indicated by the nation emblems below the unit. If it is a full emblem, the ship hasn't moved and thus a better target for torpedoes.
Erik2
Order of Battle Moderator
Order of Battle Moderator

Post by Erik2 »

Torpedo planes are (far) more efficient than subs. Much discussion about this on the beta forum.
adherbal
The Artistocrats
The Artistocrats

Post by adherbal »

Also note that Destroyers have a high resistance to torpedoes (hard to hit). These are generally better targets for normal gunfire, so save the torps for cruisers, battleships and carriers.
Longasc

Post by Longasc »

Erik wrote:Torpedo planes are (far) more efficient than subs. Much discussion about this on the beta forum.
Yeah, never had a sub hit nearly as hard as a Devastator. And they are much more difficult/slower to bring into position.
Longasc

Post by Longasc »

adherbal wrote:Torpedos are more effective the closer you are to the target and when fired against ships which fired but didn't move ("evasive manoeuvres") during their turn. The latter is indicated by the nation emblems below the unit. If it is a full emblem, the ship hasn't moved and thus a better target for torpedoes.
I made good use of that advice, but rather got the idea that moving MY ships might be a good idea, too... :o
adherbal
The Artistocrats
The Artistocrats

Post by adherbal »

Note that if a ship remains idle (no moving or shooting) it automatically counts as "moved" for the torpedo damage calculation. This is done so you do not have to move every single ship every turn anywere on the map just to improve chances against unexpected torpedo attacks.

So the only ships having maximum vulnerability to torpedos is those who fire without moving.
nikivdd
Panzer Corps Map Designer

Post by nikivdd »

adherbal wrote:Also note that Destroyers have a high resistance to torpedoes (hard to hit). These are generally better targets for normal gunfire, so save the torps for cruisers, battleships and carriers.
In the Pearl Harbor mission (Japanese campaign), my type A sub is adjacent to an American battleship which hasn't moved an inch during the mission. During the course of the mission i reduced the strength of this battleship to 2 by attacks of my torpedo planes. I was rubbing my hands that my sub could go in for the kill, but my sub did 0 zip nada damage to this battleship. Am i being unlucky here or is there something else going on or that i missed?
https://www.facebook.com/NikivddPanzerCorps
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCk2lyeEuH_hoA1s7tnTAEJQ
adherbal
The Artistocrats
The Artistocrats

Post by adherbal »

Midget sub torpedos need a buff. As do all submarines really. We've increased it late in the beta but it's still too low considering their limited speed and reload times.
nikivdd

Post by nikivdd »

adherbal wrote:Midget sub torpedos need a buff. As do all submarines really. We've increased it late in the beta but it's still too low considering their limited speed and reload times.
It is cool that a sub manages to slip through to wreck some havoc but it was a pity that it did not sink - on two occassions - a 2 strength battleship. Four turns is too long to reload; as a result it is just being idle in the harbor during those turns.
https://www.facebook.com/NikivddPanzerCorps
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCk2lyeEuH_hoA1s7tnTAEJQ
Qwer28
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by Qwer28 »

Yes, submarines are poor and no point use it with this torpedoes. Planes are nice but i dont like reload system for planes. Planes should land for load torpedos and bombs, meybe some planes can bombs 2-3 times and then reload with landing. Submarines meybe shoud have some limited number of torpedos on board and then should go reload to harbor. And i think there should be more diference in speed between surface and underwater
TangSooDo
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by TangSooDo »

I have barely started playing this game, but if it were to be historically accurate, the Japanese torpedoes would be much more effective, particularly early in the war. The United States Navy had an inferior sub launched torpedo (Mark 14) at the beginning of the war, and the Bureau of Ordinance didn't acknowledge it until 1943. There is a lot written on this subject in "Silent Victory" by Clay Blair. Air launched torpedoes also had their problems, among them the need to launch at very low altitude and at very low speed. This is one reason that the crews of Torpedo Squadron 8 at Midway were slaughtered. Their heroics did bring the IJN CAP down to low altitude, which allowed the subsequent dive bomber attacks to wreak havoc on the IJN carriers. It's pretty much a given that the crews knew they would be shot to pieces, making one wonder if they weren't a bit like the Kamikaze pilots in their fatalism. When I asked a veteran USN aviator decades later about this, he simply said the desire to avenge Pearl Harbor was overwhelming. These were tough boys.
adherbal
The Artistocrats
The Artistocrats

Post by adherbal »

The faulty US torpedo is modelled into the game, early US ship and sub torpedoes have a lower damage output. Only after the '43 refits (IIRC) do they get up to par with the Japanese in terms of damage output. Amount of torpedo tubes also affects torpedo damage however.

And the Japanese have substantionally longer torpedo range due to their Long Lance torpedos.

As mentioned before however, the damage may need to be increased a bit in general.
Longasc

Post by Longasc »

It will be difficult to balance torpedos. The Jap subs were already a nuisance and bound destroyers in the Coral Sea scenario. I also think they must hit a little harder, but not so much. The Japanese ship launched long lance torpedoes are already really good as they are.
Ballacraine
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by Ballacraine »

I hope the automatic hit for all torpedos is looked at.

Duds were also an issue, especially for the USN.

Return to “Order of Battle Series”