Ambient Sound & Unit Sound Effects

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

PanzerTax
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Ambient Sound & Unit Sound Effects

Post by PanzerTax »

I loved the ambient sound of Pacific General: the waves lapping on the beach, seagulls etc.

Combined with the rustle of undergrowth as units crept through the jungle, Pacific General really transported me somewhere else.

A lot of games have music for a background, but I find it annoying after a short while. Will you give us an option for ambient sound?

Thanks
Favourite Games Before Panzer Corps: Pacific General, People's General, Panzer General II... pure magic!
adherbal
The Artistocrats
The Artistocrats

Re: Ambient Sound & Unit Sound Effects

Post by adherbal »

A lot of effort is going into the game's sound effects (lots of different gun calibres, aircraft & tank engine movement & rotation sounds, ...). The thought of including ambient sounds came up as well recently. Can't promise yet that it will be added but in combination with the animated world (water effects etc) it would certainly add to the athmosphere.
PanzerTax
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by PanzerTax »

Thanks, that sounds awesome. Can't wait to hear those hellcats and corsairs!

You mentioned the graphics - can you outline minimum tech specs at all? Significantly greater than Panzer Corps?

Thanks in advance!
Favourite Games Before Panzer Corps: Pacific General, People's General, Panzer General II... pure magic!
Mark50
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by Mark50 »

For what it`s worth, I think the idea with the ambient sounds is great. For one thing jungle sounds are always awesome, :D and for another, given the terrain`s diversity in the Pacific theater it would give an extra nice feeling to move from one scenario to the other, if the sound atmosphere changes along with the map graphics. Then there`s always what you`ve said that with so detailed graphics (looking at your map I feel the need to look around for a circling shark shadow in that splendid, clear shallow water :D ) it would really complete the atmosphere to have ambient sounds so that after a jungle battle with its diverse and noisy ambient sounds you move to some atoll/island scenario in the middle of the ocean and hear the wind and the waves smashing onto the shores. Awesome!
adherbal
The Artistocrats
The Artistocrats

Post by adherbal »

We've been discussing what this would take to be implemented from a technical POV. Not as simple as it may sound. Ideally it uses 3D/stereo sound (the unit sounds do) so if the ocean is to the left of your screen you head it in your left ear/speaker. So it needs to analyse what is visible and where.

No promises at this point, too many higher priority things left to do :) But it's certainly something we gonna be doing at some point - before or after release.
Mark50

Post by Mark50 »

Sure, I understand that. Just pitching in to the discussion. :)
Myrddraal
The Artistocrats
The Artistocrats

Post by Myrddraal »

Much appreciated, the idea has certainly given us food for thought.
donger
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by donger »

PanzerTax wrote:You mentioned the graphics - can you outline minimum tech specs at all? Significantly greater than Panzer Corps?
Why on earth would it be significantly greater? It's a turn-based strategy game, plus there are only limited animations between 2 hexes. I can even run Panzer Corps, basically a similar game, on a slow single core netbook with excellent performance. :)
djsiemens
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by djsiemens »

Btw, I am making an ambient music for 2 years, if
u looking for some cool effects try find some ambient
samples on Lucid Samples or Looperman

:?
djsiemens

Return to “Order of Battle Series”