Krakov - Few Bugs in this one.

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

kverdon
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Krakov - Few Bugs in this one.

Post by kverdon »

Moving on from the Puzzling "Stalingrad Trap" scenario, I started Krakov. Right off the bat I can see a few issues.

1. Secondary Victory Condition to eliminate 6 Enemy A/C. You are given 8 Air Command points. As fighters cost 3 pts a piece this should have been 9. (or 6 but that would be insane to attempt).

2. I have a Stug IIID that I cannot upgrade to a better Stug. The only upgrades offered are Tank options. I'm assuming this is a improper unit designation in the unit database.

3. Though I was out of Command Points, it still let me purchase and deploy the same Stug IIID, letting me start with -5 CP. I'm Ok with that, it will come in handy but perhaps not what was intended.

4. Rather Huge bug. I held the first 2 objectives for the requisite 3 - 6 turns. I then fell back and held the secondary objective until turn 10. I expected once again to fall back and hold the final 2 objectives to the bitter end when the scenario ended on turn 11. This is rather odd. Did any of the playtesters get this far??
bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

Re: Krakov - Few Bugs in this one.

Post by bebro »

I guess this is re Kharkov 43 (edit: or rather the defensive scn Op. Zevsda leading up to it):

1. You actually do get 6 (initially, more later with the initial objectives done) from the scn, but probably 2 more from a spec at this point.

2. I agree, at this point there should be a StuH 42 available

3. We have to check 3, there should never be negative CP, thx for reporting.

4. It's not a bug when you meet all the objectives sooner and get a victory for it (is that what happened to you?). What it rather does mean to is that the scn should be rebalanced a tad. Otoh bear in mind that it needs to be still doable in higher difficulties (where ppl would need longer usually to achieve the objectives).
kverdon

Post by kverdon »

Yes, this was Krakov Oblast Feb 1943.

Having 2 fighters to shoot down 6 enemy fighters is a bit frustrating. The 2 NPC fighters that you get with the scenario will be gone by turn 2 or 3 and without them you can't kill much of anything due to the game mechanics. It should have been at least 7pts so that people who had invested in spec could benefit from it. Otherwise you simply point out to the player that they wasted their research points purchasing the spec as they never get to benefit from it. This would be the perfect place for that to finally pay off. Yes their are ground based ADA out in the middle of nowhere that you can bring in but they arrive way too late. At the very least the "Synthetic Fuel" Spec should be available earlier to make it useful. After SS Spec you don't have anything to spend RP on that is worth the expense for a number of turns so making some of the 1943 specs available a bit earlier seems reasonable.

Yes the scenario ended on turn 11 with a victory.
kondi754
General - Elite King Tiger
General - Elite King Tiger

Post by kondi754 »

kverdon wrote:Yes, this was Krakov Oblast Feb 1943.

Having 2 fighters to shoot down 6 enemy fighters is a bit frustrating. The 2 NPC fighters that you get with the scenario will be gone by turn 2 or 3 and without them you can't kill much of anything due to the game mechanics. It should have been at least 7pts so that people who had invested in spec could benefit from it. Otherwise you simply point out to the player that they wasted their research points purchasing the spec as they never get to benefit from it. This would be the perfect place for that to finally pay off. Yes their are ground based ADA out in the middle of nowhere that you can bring in but they arrive way too late. At the very least the "Synthetic Fuel" Spec should be available earlier to make it useful. After SS Spec you don't have anything to spend RP on that is worth the expense for a number of turns so making some of the 1943 specs available a bit earlier seems reasonable.

Yes the scenario ended on turn 11 with a victory.
Kharkov (Charkow) - city in Ukraine (USSR in 1942/43)
Krakov - city in Poland
bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by bebro »

I guess I'll change the balance a tad, but it will not be in the next patch coming, but the one after.

As for the fighters - as said, 6 air CP is the *initial* amount. You do get more CP (both land and air) with early main objectives done, so there should be no prob to deploy more air units as the scn progresses.
kverdon

Post by kverdon »

Could you explain the final victory condition to hold the last 2 cities? It appears to be redundant as it you achieve holding the first 2, they get completed by default. Since they are primary victory conditions, if you fail either the first or second, you loose and holding the final 2 cities again appears to be redundant.
bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by bebro »

They do get completed as part of an "early victory" option. If all objectives are achieved except the last, it gets get triggered too if you still meet the conditions (here: control those hexes). That is to avoid long mop-up stages when the scenario is decided.

What I'll add here (besides giving Sov a bit more punch) is a minimum amount of turns, so you *have* to defend at least that long once the changes are implemented. So ppl who need longer to do the other objectives will still get the full no. of turns, those who are faster can end earlier, but with a minimum of turns required.
Alexander1
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Alexander1 »

kverdon wrote:
Having 2 fighters to shoot down 6 enemy fighters is a bit frustrating.
May I suggest to developers that in defensive scenario it would make more sense to change this goal to "destroy 60+ enemy fighters hit points" (not entire fighter units) -- since you start with limited number of fighters, the game ends on turn 11, enemy fighters tend to escape once they become weak, and your goal is to cripple enemy's offensive. Same idea for enemy armor units.

Return to “Order of Battle Series”