Paratroopes

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

RonaldCz
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Paratroopes

Post by RonaldCz »

I was looking for how to deploy paratroopers. I assume they have to be on an airfield when the plane is taking off or rather next to the airfield.

Can someone tell me what those rules are? We are playing Artic Fox soon and I want to be able to deploy paratroopers.
Mojko
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Re: Paratroopes

Post by Mojko »

You need to place paratroopers on the airfield during the deployment phase. After that select the paratroopers and you should see a "board plane" icon that will change them to air transport. This action costs 20RP, so I avoid using paratroopers if possible. Not to mention that they cost 4 supply and are not much stronger to mountain infantry.
Author and maintainer of Unit Navigator Tool for Order Of Battle (http://mfendek.byethost16.com/)
bru888
Order of Battle Moderator

Post by bru888 »

I was assembling these screen prints to demonstrate what Mojko just explained, so I might as well share them anyway. Scroll down to see the "board plane" icon.
Screenshot 4.jpg
Screenshot 4.jpg (210.45 KiB) Viewed 3283 times
Screenshot 2.jpg
Screenshot 2.jpg (190.06 KiB) Viewed 3283 times
- Bru
GiveWarAchance
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2

Post by GiveWarAchance »

20 dollars per use is nearly as expensive as parking during business hours in downtown Vancouver.
After landing are the paras frazzled for that turn?
In Panzer Corp, I used paras almost every battle but it was giant risk cause they were frazzled when they landed and could be wiped out easily if any enemy were nearby so I had to land them in hills and trees far away from objectives.... the perfect opposite of their real life deployment rules.
RonaldCz

Post by RonaldCz »

My plan was to use these paratroopers to land behind enemy lines in Artic Fox and take out the airports so his planes can not come back and refuel. Most likely he will move all his forces forward to the center leaving behind his airfields unprotected.

There is another use and that is to make a drop near friendly advancing forces to cut off the supply routes to the forward advancing enemy group, thereby; making quick work for the advancing friendly forces to break through and resupply the paratroopers dumped behind enemy lines. I am sure these paratroopers are up to the task for what other reason would they exist?
GiveWarAchance

Post by GiveWarAchance »

RonaldCz wrote:My plan was to use these paratroopers to land behind enemy lines in Artic Fox and take out the airports so his planes can not come back and refuel. Most likely he will move all his forces forward to the center leaving behind his airfields unprotected.

There is another use and that is to make a drop near friendly advancing forces to cut off the supply routes to the forward advancing enemy group, thereby; making quick work for the advancing friendly forces to break through and resupply the paratroopers dumped behind enemy lines. I am sure these paratroopers are up to the task for what other reason would they exist?
Good ideas. That would be worth the 20 dollars to pay for the paradrop cause it would save your units a lot of damage which would cost more than 20 to repair.
RonaldCz

Post by RonaldCz »

Hopefully my son is not reading this forum yet, I will begin to buy the necessary forces to start the game. It will take time to set up and for the enemy planes to run out of fuel, I assume I will lose no man's land at first but my planes will have air superiority.
RonaldCz

Post by RonaldCz »

Question on Arctic Fox, I see there are lake hexes around no man's land. If I position units will they suffer penalties fighting from a lake?

Defender and attacker have a "1" which means no difference either way.
GiveWarAchance

Post by GiveWarAchance »

I don't know about fighting on frozen lakes. Maybe someone can help. I haven't done that yet though I soon will with the Finland campaign.
GiveWarAchance

Post by GiveWarAchance »

RonaldCz wrote:Hopefully my son is not reading this forum yet, I will begin to buy the necessary forces to start the game. It will take time to set up and for the enemy planes to run out of fuel, I assume I will lose no man's land at first but my planes will have air superiority.
Did you try your paradrop strategy yet?
Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Shards »

GiveWarAchance wrote:I don't know about fighting on frozen lakes. Maybe someone can help. I haven't done that yet though I soon will with the Finland campaign.
Frozen lakes are equivalent to Open Terrain I believe. If you click the "i" button you can see how they affect attackers and defenders

Ta
bru888

Post by bru888 »

GiveWarAchance wrote:Did you try your paradrop strategy yet?
I tell you, I have fallen in love with paratroopers. Many a secondary scenario objective that seems undoable becomes doable when a quick airborne strike is carefully planned and executed. Fighter cover is usually a prerequisite, however, and some losses from AA activity are to be expected, but airborne rocks!

So, when your commander in Road to Manila tells you to "Take Clark Field in 12 turns and knock out the enemy's air force," you don't say, "Say what? That's all the way down at the bottom of the map! How can I get there in 12 turns?" Instead you say, "Say, those Teishin-Dan guys are paratroopers, aren't they? Hmmm."
Last edited by bru888 on Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Bru
Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Shards »

I have one word for you. Dunkirk.

Two units of Paras are my favourite strike in that mission.
GiveWarAchance

Post by GiveWarAchance »

Sounds like paratroops are the real deal. I haven't used them yet cause they aren't in the Morning Sun campaign.
They must be deadly in this game for cutting off supply and stuff.
CJMello63

Post by CJMello63 »

I need to mess with them more too.
Seejay_dz at YouTube

“War was always here. Before man was, war waited for him. The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.”
Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Shards »

They recently gained an ability where they have their own personal supply that last for a few turns, meaning that they don't immediately have to relink to supply to be useful. They're still a risk (as they should be), but they can pay off!
bru888

Post by bru888 »

Shards wrote:They recently gained an ability where they have their own personal supply that last for a few turns, meaning that they don't immediately have to relink to supply to be useful. They're still a risk (as they should be), but they can pay off!
I plan their mission objectives to include a nearby supply point which in a few turns should take care of their needs (the player should add up the supply amounts needed by the paratrooper units being sent and ensure that a sufficient supply point to conquer will be available during the mission). Thanks, by the way, for explaining that little number when paratroopers are afield in enemy territory. I thought that's what it meant.
- Bru

Return to “Order of Battle Series”