Update from Beta Testing?

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

TomD27
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Re: Update from Beta Testing?

Post by TomD27 »

Still not selected for the PC :(
MrWhite
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by MrWhite »

Dito, but it doesn´t matter holidays are nearly over and Elite: dangerous is also a lot of fun - so keep your beta invetation an the game I don´t care anymore
bobk
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by bobk »

This is for kool_kat,
So a new game is coming, based on the Pacific theatre, with some novel new ideas and graphics, a supply system and so on. You proclaim after a mere 389 posts, (PzC has 77k+ by the way), that "most subjects/items have been discussed", really?
I would think for a game getting ready to launch that I would like to see more interest and feedback on these forums than a few post since back in the begining of the summer.
The posts seem to drop off right after the beta started and nobody was selected to participate. Just my opinion, but I get more interested in a game at this point, not less.
I think there is plenty to talk about, just no one to do it with.
Maybe they are all out on their farms "priming their pumps" like you...
MikeAP
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by MikeAP »

bobk wrote:This is for kool_kat,

I would think for a game getting ready to launch that I would like to see more interest and feedback on these forums than a few post since back in the begining of the summer.

Agreed. These parts seem dead, and certainly not buzzing like a game on the horizon should be
Ripppe
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by Ripppe »

Hi there!

A new face to the forums, just recently found about this game and was very excited after reading the initial information I could gather. However, as MikeAP, brought up, its a shame that there is no more buzz or information available even though the game should be released (or has this changed?) in the near future. Would be nice to hear some new news. :)
gldavis

Post by gldavis »

I am still very excited, this game seems to be exactly what I have been waiting for. I have checked in this forum almost every day. I really expected to see some reports, updates, or aars after the beta started but since there has been so little news, my expectations for this forum have fallen. When I come here day, I expect to see nothing. When there is a new post, I read it excitedly and go back to waiting. This, I think, is why there is such a lull in this forum.
adherbal
The Artistocrats
The Artistocrats

Post by adherbal »

The reason for the "silence" from our part is that combining the final stages of development (and beta test management) is proving very hard to combine with creation of quality "news releases" such as AARs and screenshots. As is the case for pretty much all Slitherine/Matrix developers, we are a pretty small team :)

All the bits and pieces are falling into place now though. Multiplayer is up and running, the scenario editor is ready for public (beta) use and the first version of the manual text was completed of couple of days ago. It's mostly scenario design & balancing left at this stage - so we could try to release some screenshots of that more regularly.

The plan is to start an proper advertising campaign shortly before release, which will begin soon enough.

We're here more or less round the clock though, so if there are any specific questions or requests we're available to answer them :wink:
Mark50
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by Mark50 »

The plan is to start an proper advertising campaign shortly before release, which will begin soon enough.
I was just about to say that you really need to consider devoting some time to building momentum before the release. Considering how nice the graphics are and the fact they`re 3d and well animated I think it`s a must to put together a good promotional video with zoom-ins, close-ups, good audio and stuff like that.
bobk

Post by bobk »

Agree with Mark50. Throw the troops some bones, and let us discuss it among ourselves. I`m sure everyone realizes you guys are busy, but you really should be working your potential customers into a frenzy before the game launches, to help spread the word.
Why not have a few of your mysterious beta testers do an AAR, or a least play through a few turns for us? I`m sure they have the time, and would be willing to show off the game for you guys.
Anyway, from the little I have seen, the game looks great, and you have taken what PzC`s has restarted, and improved upon it. We just want a little more to look forward too...
BK
Ripppe

Post by Ripppe »

Cheers adherbal for accounting the issue. As good gents above, I too am excited to see/gather as much detail before committing to the purchase decision (as my time for gaming is nowadays very scarce). What I would probably like the most is an overview of the game mechanics and how they work as I'm not familiar - meaning have never played before - with Panzer Corps from which you seem to draw your inspiration. I'm not so much interested in graphical eye candy because the pictures provided are a good enough guarantee that the game won't be a disappointment in that sector. However, an overview might be a tad too much especially considering your rush... :) Have you any intentions for releasing the manual before the release?

One thing I'm especially interested in are your plans for the future of OoBP. Can we expect you to broaden the game with new mechanics or is it just going to be such additional content as scenarios? What about a co-op campaign, is it still a possibility?
adherbal
The Artistocrats
The Artistocrats

Post by adherbal »

Manual should be released as soon as the layout is done. I think it's a fairly common practice for Slitherine/Matrix games with a decent manual. I'm guessing ours will be ~50 pages (DVD box format) once all the layout and screenshots are added.

One thing I'm especially interested in are your plans for the future of OoBP. Can we expect you to broaden the game with new mechanics or is it just going to be such additional content as scenarios? What about a co-op campaign, is it still a possibility?
We have all sorts of plans of course, but nothing is official yet. So this is a personal wishlist, not an official announcement:
  • Skirmish Mode: Randomly generated maps with standardised objectives, playable with a mix of up to 4 human or AI players.
  • MP campaigns: Coop and/or 1v1/2v2
  • Destructable terrain: Currently we have temporary craters and fires, but would be cool if the cities etc would actualy turn into ruins, forests burning down etc.
Whether these will be implement into Pacific, its expansions or only in sequels remains to be seen. But the plan certainly is to keep improving the engine.
morge4
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Post by morge4 »

An expansion I'd like to see would be the Atlantic! Wolf packs hunting convoys. would make for a great expansion, IMHO.
adherbal
The Artistocrats
The Artistocrats

Post by adherbal »

Surely that would be part of a "WW2 Europe" themed game/expansion, not just standalone? Basicaly combining naval & land aspect like it does in OoBP.
Myrddraal
The Artistocrats
The Artistocrats

Post by Myrddraal »

We're also hoping to start an AAR soon which should give you a chance to follow some of the gameplay unfold.
Ripppe

Post by Ripppe »

Ooou yeeees! AAR would definitely do some good. ;)
bobk

Post by bobk »

Looking forward to that. Something with lots of stuff going boom!
Mark50

Post by Mark50 »

Hello! Could you post a small update on how things are going and what`s left to do, broadly speaking?
Myrddraal
The Artistocrats
The Artistocrats

Post by Myrddraal »

Hi Mark,

The game is very close to being feature complete. The biggest tasks remaining are scenario design and game balance. With each release to the beta testers we're unveiling additional scenarios, and refining those we've already released.

The testers are currently testing both US & Japanese campaign scenarios, multiplayer and the in-game scenario editor.

Scenario design and balancing work is a huge task and vitally important to the quality of game, so we want to make sure we're getting it right before committing to a release date.

If there's a part of the game you're interested in finding out more about, let us know and we'll try to focus in that direction for a preview or screenshot.
Mark50

Post by Mark50 »

Thank you!
Scenario design and balancing work is a huge task and vitally important to the quality of game, so we want to make sure we're getting it right before committing to a release date.
I strongly agree. People (myself included :D ) use to complain about this or that unit missing from a game or some faction being underrepresented and so on, but the reality is the chemistry of the original game`s scenarios and campaign is the most important thing. PG, PG2, Pac Gen... all had important lacks (I`ve recently remembered how Romania had the post ww2 communist flag in PG2), but I loved them, because the original game via its campaigns and scenarios had a certain distinct feel to it that`s hard to forget. Hadn`t played them in years, but I still remember how most of the maps looked like and how the strategy felt like. It was fun you didn`t get from somewhere else. If you manage to create that distinct feel you`ll have a long time successful product. Take your time with it.
If there's a part of the game you're interested in finding out more about, let us know and we'll try to focus in that direction for a preview or screenshot.
No, I just wanted to get a sense of where the development is at now. I`m pretty much sold on the idea already. You keep focusing on the development and, when that`s out of the way, don`t forget strong advertising! :D
Myrddraal
The Artistocrats
The Artistocrats

Post by Myrddraal »

this or that unit missing from a game or some faction being underrepresented and so on
Well, we like to think we've got that element covered. The unit list is 489 units long (and counting)! A while back Lukas' posted a preview of some of the Dutch units in game:

Return to “Order of Battle Series”