Slitherine Trophy 2016 is cancelled.

The Slitherine Trophy

Moderators: Slitherine Core, FoG PC Moderator, NewRoSoft, FoG: Leagues&Tourns&SeekingOpponents Subforums mods

stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Slitherine Trophy 2016 is cancelled.

Post by stockwellpete »

I am pleased to be able to announce that the annual knock-out competition will resume again this year. The competition will start on September 1st and will be themed around "Wolves From the Sea" and "Oath of Fealty". Recruitment will start in mid-August. Slitherine will be again offering prize vouchers. More details to follow.
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Re: Slitherine Trophy 2016 is cancelled.

Post by stockwellpete »

Sorry, but the tournament for 2016 is cancelled because FOG Unity is not fit for purpose for multi-player matches. I have no confidence that it will be fixed properly any time soon so I think it most likely that we will have to wait until FOG2 is ready.
MikeMarchant
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by MikeMarchant »

What a disappointment.

Why can we not just continue with the Slitherine Cup and the leagues using the original FoG, Pete?

I know the two new books aren't available in the original version, but there's no reason we have to use the two new army lists.

This will be the second year without the Slitherine Cup, and coming up to 18 months with no league play, all because we're waiting for something which has little chance of being ready in the foreseeable future.

How many years do we wait? This could go on forever.

Best Wishes

Mike
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

There are plenty of other competitions running, Mike. Four at the moment. :roll: I am actually finding this version of FOG very "tired" now well and past its sell-by-date, to be honest. I don't really enjoy playing it that much anymore so I'll be saving my energies for FOG2. There are only around twenty players available for competition at any one time at the moment it seems so smaller competitions/campaigns are probably a better fit in the coming period. I will make an announcement about FOGDL4 at the end of August but my expectation is that I will be cancelling that as well.
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

I should also say that there would have been a stronger case for running the tournaments with the old version if we could have used "Wolves From the Sea" and "Oath of Fealty" but that is sadly not the case.
MikeMarchant

Post by MikeMarchant »

I do understand what you're saying, Pete, and I am playing in all 4 of the tournaments, as well as two campaigns on top. They are all very enjoyable, but they don't have quite the same excitement as the official competitions.

It just all seems a bit negative at the moment. We've been waiting such a long time, with no official tournaments, only to have the Unity version of FoG turn out the way it has. Personally I'd prefer to remain positive, keep going as we were before, in the hope and expectation that Unity will come right in due course, or, if not, that FoG 2 will come to town, all singing and all dancing (preferably with dancing elephants), and we transfer over to that.

If there really are only 20 or so active players available then I can't see there being much hope for a league tournament, you're right, and it does rather raise concerns over the survival of the community in the longer term.

Anyway, this isn't intended as a criticism of you, Pete, or the decisions you're making about this, it's just a general lament. Your efforts are still very much appreciated.

Best Wishes

Mike

Return to “The Slitherine Trophy”