GaW: Barbarossa 1941 - Issues

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Germany at War: Barbarossa 1941 - Moderators

ryukikass
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

GaW: Barbarossa 1941 - Issues

Post by ryukikass »

Hi, I like the game and just helping out as I notice some issues:

1. When I rename units while in 'Map' mode, everytime I hit a key that's associated to that shortcut, the function triggers. I figured the work around is to rename my units in the HQ screen instead, but you might want to fix the renaming problem w/ the map/game.

2. My flak 88 has no combat sound effects like other units. (I haven't used enough A-A to know if it's the same issue w/ other A-A units).

Will keep updating as I play thru the game more (am only in 2nd scenario of Case Blue). tHANKS.
RonaldWendt
Phobetor
Phobetor

Re: GaW: Barbarossa 1941 - Issues

Post by RonaldWendt »

Hello,
ryukikass wrote:Hi, I like the game
Good to hear :D
ryukikass wrote: 1. When I rename units while in 'Map' mode, everytime I hit a key that's associated to that shortcut, the function triggers. I figured the work around is to rename my units in the HQ screen instead, but you might want to fix the renaming problem w/ the map/game.
Indeed its a problem of focus on the programs side. We will see if and what can be done.
ryukikass wrote: 2. My flak 88 has no combat sound effects like other units. (I haven't used enough A-A to know if it's the same issue w/ other A-A units).
The sounds seems normal to me - there is none at all on your system for the 8.8 ?
ryukikass wrote: Will keep updating as I play thru the game more (am only in 2nd scenario of Case Blue). tHANKS.
yes, please :)

Thanks for reporting & regards,
ryukikass
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by ryukikass »

Hi Slitherine, I just finished the Case Blue campaign (4 scenarios):

1. Flak 88 had no combat sound
2. Why does the enemy aircraft go attack my Flak 88, that is not great AI, when within visibility, there's other weaker units like infantry/artillery..
3. the game crashes on me every time I play so i made it a habit to 'Quick Save' half way thru my moves.
4. In several instances, I was 'Refitting' (re-supplying in other words) and the Cost showed 0. I was like uh okay fine free re-supply. Please fix that.
5. also in deployment mode, in the little map, I noticed certain deployment areas that weren't actually on the deployment of the playfield map so that was off.

..and here's some improvement suggestions:

a. I completed Case Blue campaign but besides a text msg at end, there's no sense of accomplishment. Not even on the main campaign selection page where I was hoping at least something being checked off that I completed. Please take a cue on game production from other developers and it would be nice to have 'Achievements' (like killed 20 infantry, completed first campaign, etc.). It was also be nice to have some kind of video or cgi in between or at end of a scenario/campaign. It makes it feel like i'm "working" towards something.
b. I also thought it was easy and I have it on 'Hard' setting. The enemy units were sparse. I felt like I outnumbered (and I'm germans!) 3 to 1 on every engagement.
c. please have more vibrant tile colors. there's no contrast when some units are on top of a tile.

..but I do like this game and here's great things about it:

1. 3d movement animation.
2. good sound effects
3. music soundtrack
RonaldWendt
Phobetor
Phobetor

Post by RonaldWendt »

Hello,

thanks for your time and comments.
ryukikass wrote: 1. Flak 88 had no combat sound
We could not reproduce that. Could you name your OS and the sound card or send us logs with a session where this happened ?
Logs are found here: C:\Users\YourName\AppData\Local\Germany at War
ryukikass wrote: 2. Why does the enemy aircraft go attack my Flak 88, that is not great AI, when within visibility, there's other weaker units like infantry/artillery..
Did it loose against the Flak or was it able to eleminate it ? If the bomber has an advantage and there is a chance to clear an area of AA units it means further airstrikes have little opposition from the ground. A screenshot/savegame would be good so we could judge the situation better.

ryukikass wrote: 3. the game crashes on me every time I play so i made it a habit to 'Quick Save' half way thru my moves.
Now that definitly unwanted. We really need to have data about this, as we want every bug gone, especially crashes. Could you please provide savegames and logs of these cases ? Logs have to be copied immediatetly after a crash or the data will be overwritten after you start the game again.
ryukikass wrote: 4. In several instances, I was 'Refitting' (re-supplying in other words) and the Cost showed 0. I was like uh okay fine free re-supply. Please fix that.
This depends on you settings - if you have supply on, but detailed supply off, you really get free fuel and ammo. Or do you mean something else ?
ryukikass wrote: 5. also in deployment mode, in the little map, I noticed certain deployment areas that weren't actually on the deployment of the playfield map so that was off.
So you say the markers were in the grey area around the map ? Which scenario/campaign exactly and do you have savegames and logs ?
ryukikass wrote: a. I completed Case Blue campaign but besides a text msg at end, there's no sense of accomplishment. Not even on the main campaign selection page where I was hoping at least something being checked off that I completed. Please take a cue on game production from other developers and it would be nice to have 'Achievements' (like killed 20 infantry, completed first campaign, etc.). It was also be nice to have some kind of video or cgi in between or at end of a scenario/campaign. It makes it feel like i'm "working" towards something.

We absolutly agree that there is room for improvement in this area. There are some "reward systems" we thought of, yet with a small team we had to make hard decisions in terms of content. We still have things like this on the radar though.

ryukikass wrote: b. I also thought it was easy and I have it on 'Hard' setting. The enemy units were sparse. I felt like I outnumbered (and I'm germans!) 3 to 1 on every engagement.

All sources we had about those operations indicated this odd situation for the Wehrmacht. The Soviets had learned to avoid huge battles in open field to avoid pincer movements. The march towards Stalingrad and the Caucasus is often described as a guerilla war by German authors that participated.
Soviets left small detachments in critical places and harassed the Germans all the way. Stavka was expecting a blow towards Moscow and was just slowly shifting troops to the South incase there was another attack.
As the summer progressed this changed and by autumn both sides had their main forces in that area.

ryukikass wrote: c. please have more vibrant tile colors. there's no contrast when some units are on top of a tile.
This is excellent example where screenshots would be good to have a better impression what exactly is the problem.

ryukikass wrote: ..but I do like this game and here's great things about it:

1. 3d movement animation.
2. good sound effects
3. music soundtrack
:D We hope you also discover some other things you like as from the game mechanics and varity the main campaign shows much more what Germany at War can do.

Regards,

Return to “Germany at War: Barbarossa 1941 : Tech Support”