Germany at War: Barbarossa 1941 Released!

Germany at War: Barbarossa 1941

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Germany at War: Barbarossa 1941 - Moderators

Philkian
Slitherine
Slitherine

Germany at War: Barbarossa 1941 Released!

Post by Philkian »

Slitherine and Phobetor are proud to announce the release of Germany at War: Barbarossa 1941, a new introductory turn-based operational wargame.

This new title is an exciting addition for turn-based strategy gamers as it features gameplay in the style of Panzer General and Panzer Corps, with a branching, event-filled campaign that takes you from the start of Operation Barbarossa towards the historical goals of Archangel or Astrakhan. Follow each Army Group through its initial battles, build up a core force, then decide which front will have the main focus, North, Center or South. Your decisions and outcomes determine the course of the campaign, which is designed with replayability in mind.
Germany at War: Barbarossa 1941 is more historically focused than similar games, with an emphasis on historical units and attachments and consistent modeling of unit and hex scale, but is still a fun and easy to learn wargame. For players of Panzer Corps and Panzer General, Germany at War is a logical next step in the wargaming genre.

With 4 Campaigns, including 37 scenarios in the main campaign, 14 stand-alone scenarios and an editor with which to add new mission, multiplayer PBEM++ support and good graphics, this game is an exciting new milestone for gamers who enjoy Panzer Corps and similar games.

We are also releasing the at release v.1.0.55 update for the game to address a few issues that came up in testing the gold master version. It fixes a rare crash, adjusts the equipment for some of the divisions and adds a new cursors for different dpi settings.

For the complete list of changes, visit the dedicated Forum Page.

To download the update, players can run “Check for Update” via the game menu or download it directly from the game’s download page.

Get more information on Germany at War: Barbarossa 1941 from its official product page.
MrsWargamer
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Re: Germany at War: Barbarossa 1941 Released!

Post by MrsWargamer »

Well it's out, I can speak now :)

In the beta, I found the game played easy enough, ie no learning curve troubles.

I am not in love with the AI yet, but things evolve. Multiplayer would of course make this problem a non problem.

My only complaint, lack of hotseat. I don't know if that is fixable, I don't make code. But I tend to like to play a game me vs me when I am not in a hurry to play me vs you. But it eliminates a need to play me vs the machine. Because AI is what it is, and it is rarely inspired in grand strategy products (thus that is not a dig at this game, it's a dig at wargaming).
I CAN be reached
email me at sukunai.ni.yori@hotmail.com
Micha63
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by Micha63 »

Hi ,

sorry for the criticism. On the first glance not a really beautiful game.
The landscape is the most ugly i saw for long time in a wargame.
RonaldWendt
Phobetor
Phobetor

Post by RonaldWendt »

Hello,
Micha wrote:Hi ,

sorry for the criticism. On the first glance not a really beautiful game.
The landscape is the most ugly i saw for long time in a wargame.
never mind - taste differs and that is a good thing.

Are you by any chance the same "Micha" that ansered to the "Germany at War"-thread at the Panzerliga ?

Regards,
Micha63

Post by Micha63 »

Hi Robert,

i"m the same as in "Panzerliga" .Ok , everything is a matter of taste . But when i see the beautiful maps of the last Panzercorps mods
i wonder how a brandnew game can have such (sorry) primitiv maps.
But its only my personal view and maybe i"m wrong.
RonaldWendt
Phobetor
Phobetor

Post by RonaldWendt »

Hi Micha,
Micha wrote:Hi Robert,

i"m the same as in "Panzerliga" .Ok , everything is a matter of taste . But when i see the beautiful maps of the last Panzercorps mods
i wonder how a brandnew game can have such (sorry) primitiv maps.
But its only my personal view and maybe i"m wrong.
combing your statements here and at the Panzerliga you do not like the graphics and you do not like the setting (WW2) then this is simply not the right game for you.

Regards,
wargovichr
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by wargovichr »

Thank you!
I agree totally with the posters who commented on G@W's ugly and dark graphics and the Monopoly marker primitive unit icons. Strange dingy colors too I must say. Even the AARs show obscuring clouds over everything during cloudy weather ??!! VERY unattractive. Over-simplified single digit unit icons on the map then super-detailed units characteristics underneath??? Odd.
NOT something I plan to buy.
What I wanted was a Panzer Corps based whole front unscripted game. The BIG ONE. Control over weapons production would have been a nice interesting option.
I didn't care for GG's War in the East either--the phasing/movement system and thousands of super weak Russian units four and five hexes deep....confusing air units....uninstalled it.
RonaldWendt
Phobetor
Phobetor

Post by RonaldWendt »

Hello,
wargovichr wrote: What I wanted was a Panzer Corps based whole front unscripted game. The BIG ONE. Control over weapons production would have been a nice interesting option.
well, thats not this game.

Regards,
Micha63

Post by Micha63 »

This criticism is not to hurt or insault anyone. I"m creating mods, scenarios and campaigns for years for the oldie "Peoples general ".
I received during the years tons of mails and people told me what they dont like.
That helped me to do better.
And i think the weak point of this game is the map graphism. Maybe this can be improved . Just an idea. :)
RonaldWendt
Phobetor
Phobetor

Post by RonaldWendt »

Hello,
Micha wrote:This criticism is not to hurt or insault anyone.
no insult taken and i would not develop games if i took critisim as an insult - that would drive me insane. :mrgreen:

After you critisized several fundamental parts of the game it seemed conclusive that it would not work for you - if i am wrong just go ahead and buy it. 8)

Regards,
jdm
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by jdm »

Hi Robert congrats in getting your game out well done, you are responding to critic very professionally which always marks a developer who has the skill to bring a game to market, not many have the ability to do that:-). Generally they make the most noise :-)
RonaldWendt
Phobetor
Phobetor

Post by RonaldWendt »

Hello,
jdm wrote:Hi Robert congrats in getting your game out well done, you are responding to critic very professionally which always marks a developer who has the skill to bring a game to market, not many have the ability to do that:-). Generally they make the most noise :-)
thanks for the compliments, jdm.

Actually Robert is not my name - it was accidentially added to my surename today, but thats a different story. :wink:

Regards,
jdm
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by jdm »

Ronald I do know that, but got totally confused by your avatar, I thought it must be your brother , or something like that:-), so my apols

JDM
RonaldWendt
Phobetor
Phobetor

Post by RonaldWendt »

Hello,
jdm wrote:Ronald I do know that, but got totally confused by your avatar, I thought it must be your brother , or something like that:-), so my apols

JDM
well who wouldn't be ? We really look alike. :wink:

Regards,
TangSooDo
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by TangSooDo »

I like relatively simple games, and this one fits that description. The graphics are not great. It seems too bad that units in the HQ (units not deployed are kept here) are quite nicely done, but on the map things are a bit primitive. However, the worst part in my estimation is the awkward interface, particularly sorting out air unit from ground units. It just comes nowhere close to Panzer Corps, to which it advertises itself as being a cousin. That's a stretch.
MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

I want to chime in on the graphics issue.

Drop dead with your need of pretty.

The world's greatest, most well known, ultimately superior and iconic game of grand strategy Advanced Third Reich, sat on a map that I suppose some would call exceedingly bland. Guess what, no one played the game to stare at the map and go wow look at the pretty map....

The counters in A3R were utterly boringly dull. Guess what, the point of the game, was to take those dreadfully dull counters, and kick yer buddies strategy to the curb and own his butt. Yeah you suck! was the only part of the game we looked forward to. It wasn't wow are those counters ever purdy.

I don't mind detailed terrain graphics is the game is squad tactical, because if the tank sprite is an actual tank, just one tank, then a poorly drawn tank might matter. If the tank is just symbolic of a tank division, then a lot of us real wargamers likely would be more wowed that you researched the correct period specific military symbols rather than use standard nato icons. My board game The Longest Day actually has WW2 symbols, the real symbols. That was neat. The counters were still bland artsy craftsy wise, but they were still 'cool' to a real wargamer.

And let's face it, none of these games are being aimed at my Starcraft playing son of 19 years. HE wants fancy schmancy graphics, I do NOT.
If you make the game easy to mod, I am sure some of the bored among us might take to drawing up alternatives. Let them.

The game is fine Ronald where graphics are concerned.
The KISS principle applies here. I have seen very detailed very fancy maps in games, and you know what, the bonus of the boring plain maps of my youth, I could memorize the placement of 1000 counters at a glance. Good luck doing that with an over blown art masterpiece. We don't need fancy, it doesn't make the game better.

The only time I am impressed with a game, is when the game stomps my butt with clever strategies.
If we stopped wasting time on pretty, spent all of our time on AI design, and made games very hard to beat, the sales would soar.
Only pussies need easy to beat games with god mode options.

I by the way don't play games with god mode, and I don't like games that use guide books.
I CAN be reached
MassaMongo
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by MassaMongo »

No demo?

Very sad. I guess I'll buy some PanzerCorps campaigns instead. At least I'll know what I can expect.

After the disastrous experience with Commander: The Great War (no demo either!) I'll buy no pig in a poke from Slitherine again.

Games with no demos are suspicious to me.
And if you claim the game to be as good as PanzerCorps, at least have the decency to let potential customers CHECK IT OUT FOR THEMSELVES!!!
MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

I like demos, who wouldn't. But I base all of my purchases on input from the gamers.

I have bought precisely one game in 15 years based on the demo.

I have bought some games based on the name of the developer.

Life is not an exact science though.
I CAN be reached
chris234j
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by chris234j »

are there any plans for an ipad release for more games like this one other then battle academy ?
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus »

chris234j wrote:are there any plans for an ipad release for more games like this one other then battle academy ?
Please take a look at this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=43783

Return to “Germany at War: Barbarossa 1941”