Elevation and LOS Obstacles

Forum for discussion of the next iteration of the BA engine. This time with a all new open development approach!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, BA Moderators

makigono1
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Elevation and LOS Obstacles

Post by makigono1 »

Hi Folks,
Back after a long hiatus from gaming, and of course have jumped in to BA2 again. Got a question: has anyone solved the issue of LOS obstructions to units on high ground? If I'm on a hilltop, trees should not obstruct anything but the space directly behind them, not the entire LOS along the line from the hilltop to beyond the trees. The 'BLOCKING' parameter seems to be a zero-sum kind of thing that has no relation to the height I set for the tree objects. Any ideas?
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Elevation and LOS Obstacles

Post by pipfromslitherine »

You are correct that height does not see 'over' obstacles. This is by design, both to simplify the gameplay, and also to prevent too much discrepancy between the visuals and the model, bearing in mind that the visuals are an abstract representation.

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here
makigono1
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by makigono1 »

So, high ground is then purely cosmetic in the game?
makigono1
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by makigono1 »

Well, okay, I figured out how to increase LOS distance based on elevation, which is something. I wonder though, is there a way (purely from an artistic/display standpoint) to make the hills appear less tall?
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine »

It is controlled by the HEIGHTSTEP tweak in config/system.txt (or you can put it into USER.TXT which is probably simpler).

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here
makigono1
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by makigono1 »

Thank you! That's awesome. Oh man, there goes all my free time. BA2 is going to pull me back in again...
pipfromslitherine wrote:It is controlled by the HEIGHTSTEP tweak in config/system.txt (or you can put it into USER.TXT which is probably simpler).

Cheers

Pip

Return to “Battle Academy 2 – Eastern Front”