Thank You

Forum for discussion of the next iteration of the BA engine. This time with a all new open development approach!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, BA Moderators

MikeAP
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Thank You

Post by MikeAP »

Just wanted to say a quick Thank You to the developers of BA2 - Still one my favorite tactical turn based shooters. I've racked up 150 hours (and still going) on Steam playing the various campaigns and lots of cooperative multiplayer.

I just started another play-through of the German Kursk operation (DLC) and I am once again reminded about the greatness of BA2, and the excellent scenarios that come with the game. Honestly, some of the most fun, enjoyable, and challenging scenarios in any game I've played.
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Thank You

Post by pipfromslitherine »

Glad you are still enjoying it!

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here
prattaa
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by prattaa »

I only recently discovered the BA series and I'm really enjoying it. Too bad it is no longer supported but there seems to be quite a bit of user made content to keep me busy.
GiveWarAchance
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2

Post by GiveWarAchance »

I just bought the BA games and did a few battles. Fantastic game!
These BA games should be listed among the best wargames of all time.
I love the cute graphics, comic style briefings, realistic combat, and fun gameplay.
MikeAP
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by MikeAP »

Just hit 200 hours and on my nth cooperative playthru of the campaigns (just hit the Russian Counteroffensive Campaign) with a friend of mine.

Still my favorite Slitherine release.
apostrophefz
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by apostrophefz »

I'm thinking of buying it. The first time I saw some screenshots, I thought it was a game for children; the 3d units and scenarios look so alien from all other Slitherine games that I thought this would be their take on games for children and their tablets lol

But watching a Let's Play it seems like an amazingly tactical game.
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

Don't judge a game by the appearance of the 3D units. I thought of the same thing when I bought the first Battle Academy (1).
Your infantry can take cover behind tanks, go into houses...
Yes, it is an amazing tactical game.
PoorOldSpike
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by PoorOldSpike »

terminator wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:47 pm Yes, it is an amazing tactical game.
Yes, not bad for a 9 year old game..:)
Its square tiles (instead of hexes) give it a classical uncluttered simplicity like chess and I'm hooked, especially as the newer BA 2 (Eastern Front) version includes a mission generator which auto-creates a brandnew map and forces for every battle, so that each time you crank it up it's like a box o' chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get...:)
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

it’s a shame there weren’t more DLCs for BA 2 :(
Eagletanker
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by Eagletanker »

terminator wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:36 pm it’s a shame there weren’t more DLCs for BA 2 :(
That’s where the user content comes in. Even though a lot of links are dead, people still make stuff for the game.
PoorOldSpike
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by PoorOldSpike »

TankerOne wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:04 am That’s where the user content comes in. Even though a lot of links are dead, people still make stuff for the game.
Two fantastic BA2 mods I definitely recommend are 'Ajax's Army Lists' which allows us to choose from dozens of historical formations to select in Skirmish battles, and 'Paul's Random Skirmish Mod' which greatly expands the variety of units the game randomly drops in our lap.
Both mods are discussed in this thread-
https://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewto ... 21&t=94886

(the download link for Ajax's is in the 1st Nov 2019 post, and Paul's mod link is in the 7th Nov 2019 post.)
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

PoorOldSpike wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:12 am
TankerOne wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:04 am That’s where the user content comes in. Even though a lot of links are dead, people still make stuff for the game.
Two fantastic BA2 mods I definitely recommend are 'Ajax's Army Lists' which allows us to choose from dozens of historical formations to select in Skirmish battles, and 'Paul's Random Skirmish Mod' which greatly expands the variety of units the game randomly drops in our lap.
Both mods are discussed in this thread-
https://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewto ... 21&t=94886

(the download link for Ajax's is in the 1st Nov 2019 post, and Paul's mod link is in the 7th Nov 2019 post.)
I will soon be giving my mod it's own thread with the release of the 1.6 version. It will now be called the Enhanced Random Skirmish Mod 1.6. I will also ask Slitherine if they can host it officially and make it downloadable from within the game.
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

Field of Glory II Medieval Scenario Designer.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach Tournament Scenario Designer.
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

Field of Glory II Medieval Scenario Designer.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach Tournament Scenario Designer.
MikeAP
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by MikeAP »

220 Steam hours racked up, still installed, and still played regularly. It's one of my top 5 games played on Steam.

Still the best Slitherine release in my opinion, and hours of endless fun

1. GREAT mission design; realistic objectives and good scripting. Not gamey or overbearing.
2. Cooperative Multiplayer - wish we had a real-time mechanic in addition to PBEM, but still a great time playing with friends.
3. Skirmish Mode - endless possibilities for battles.
4. Lots of Content - 4x Vanilla Campaigns + 1 DLC campaign
PoorOldSpike
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by PoorOldSpike »

MikeAP wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:14 pm 220 Steam hours racked up, still installed, and still played regularly. It's one of my top 5 games played on Steam.

Still the best Slitherine release in my opinion, and hours of endless fun

1. GREAT mission design; realistic objectives and good scripting. Not gamey or overbearing.
2. Cooperative Multiplayer - wish we had a real-time mechanic in addition to PBEM, but still a great time playing with friends.
3. Skirmish Mode - endless possibilities for battles.
4. Lots of Content - 4x Vanilla Campaigns + 1 DLC campaign
Me too, BA2 is one of my favourite games in almost 40 years of computer wargaming..)
I'm totally hooked on the random skirmish generator which assigns us a different battlefield and different forces for every battle which keeps the game fresh and alive.
I use Paul's Enhanced skirmish mod and his West Front Brit and US skirmish mods, and what I do is string about 20 battles together to make a campaign covering all the war years and play them one by one, progressing month by month and year by year, it's great how the computer gives us historical forces matching each month and year.
I keep a written note of the results on a piece of paper and if I win a campaign I give the AI more units at the set up screen the next time I play it, to make it harder to win, and vice-versa.

Return to “Battle Academy 2 – Eastern Front”