Stalingrad for BA2 ?

Forum for discussion of the next iteration of the BA engine. This time with a all new open development approach!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, BA Moderators

DonCzirr
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Stalingrad for BA2 ?

Post by DonCzirr »

Epic, grim, brutal ....

The heroics and horror of the battle would be well served by BA2's atmosphere, voice acting etc ....

Would love to engage in the building to building brawls with an official Slitherine Release ...

Any others think this would be great for a BA 2 expansion?
Man schlägt jemanden mit der Faust und nicht mit gespreizten Fingern !

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100032812112896
best75
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Re: Stalingrad for BA2 ?

Post by best75 »

Yes. I am surprised they have not added this battle yet
I hope it will be the new battle they add.
DonCzirr

Post by DonCzirr »

There seems to be some user created Stalingrad content in the battles folder but they are all multiplayer ....

Proper treatment for Stalingrad really calls for a commercially released expansion / campaign with ruined buildings, voice bits and atmospheric background art etc ....

best75
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by best75 »

Would the campaign be playable as the axis or soviets?
I feel to experience Stalingrad the campaign should be playable as the Germans but they lose in the end.
Petcat
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by Petcat »

A Stalingrad campaign seems doable for me and anybody with a decent knowledge of the BA2 editor, though I'm not currently in a position to take the idea up.
Slitherine seems to have stopped the development of BA2: viewtopic.php?f=221&t=65704
Enric has made a Stalingrad trilogy for multiplayer: http://slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=313&t=53404
BA2 Stuff: http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=313&p=564794#p564794
Cheers Petcat
DonCzirr

Post by DonCzirr »

Hmm, seems that stop on development was only on IOS due to the 32 bit -> 64 bit challenges?

Hopefully that is the case ....

The PC version seems like it could host a lot of good content over the next few years ...

I wonder if the sales were disappointing and they've decided to shelve this in favor of new work?

Kayel Dee
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by Kayel Dee »

i'd want it....however...it strikes me that if you want a taste of stalingrad and if you dont mind playing against the computer, you could set a skirmish to urban and jack up the damage, you'll get a pretty good representation of the hell that was fighting in the big S, but alas, BA lacks so many things that a good stalingrad campaign would need....e.g. stackable units, the ability to pass through friendly units, leaders, rubbled buildings that litter the streets, and fire just to name a few. Someone made the point of both adversaries being playable. once again if you fought a skirmish, both sides could be played and many of my examples could easily be modded....Mr. Enric has produced some excellent mods, not to mention some fine adaptations of a few enjoyable Squad Leader scenarios. Although, when considering the missing qualities, the difficulty in adapting SL/ASL scenarios to BA becomes apparent... also, if anyone feels like collaborating and they have a decent working knowledge of modding, i would be willing to create some accurate maps.
DonCzirr

Post by DonCzirr »

Kayel Dee wrote:i'd want it....however...it strikes me that if you want a taste of stalingrad and if you dont mind playing against the computer, you could set a skirmish to urban and jack up the damage, you'll get a pretty good representation of the hell that was fighting in the big S, but alas, BA lacks so many things that a good stalingrad campaign would need....e.g. stackable units, the ability to pass through friendly units, leaders, rubbled buildings that litter the streets, and fire just to name a few. Someone made the point of both adversaries being playable. once again if you fought a skirmish, both sides could be played and many of my examples could easily be modded....Mr. Enric has produced some excellent mods, not to mention some fine adaptations of a few enjoyable Squad Leader scenarios. Although, when considering the missing qualities, the difficulty in adapting SL/ASL scenarios to BA becomes apparent... also, if anyone feels like collaborating and they have a decent working knowledge of modding, i would be willing to create some accurate maps.

Yep - not a bad idea Kayel but I'd like to see some of the iconic battles like the Tractor Factory covered in a professional / artistic way (in the same way the other campaigns are presented).

I'm generally getting my Stalingrad fix these days with HOS but the spotting mechanics sort of sits wrong with me.

If marketed right, Stalingrad could be such a good seller. If they could capture the atmosphere from War of the Rats (not Enemy at the Gates), I'm sure it would draw folks in ....

Kayel Dee

Post by Kayel Dee »

yep
mpetri
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by mpetri »

There's a ton of Stalingrad multiplayer scenarios for BA2 but no single player ones as far as I know.
PantheraTigris
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by PantheraTigris »

This is mind boggling to me. How can you release a game based on the Eastern Front and not include Stalingrad? That's like releasing a game on the US Civil War and leaving out Gettysburg.
DonCzirr

Post by DonCzirr »

PantheraTigris wrote:This is mind boggling to me. How can you release a game based on the Eastern Front and not include Stalingrad? That's like releasing a game on the US Civil War and leaving out Gettysburg.

+1 on that.

The assault, suppression, morale mechanics and the atmosphere of the game would all lend to a great Stalingrad gaming experience.

Keep the responses on this coming.

Perhaps our friends at Slitherine will rev up BA2 for one last development ride with a Stalingrad campaign - winding things up on a grand note.

MacD2013
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by MacD2013 »

Something to do with bits and Apple or something is the reason they can't support new content. I forget, one gentleman explained it awhile back. I am beyond disappointed however. With the amount of content add on that came out for BA1, and BA2 set in the largest theatre of war ever, was given a single add on campaign in Kursk just doesn't seem right. The amount of campaigns that could have happened for this game, combined with the new features in BA2 could have made this game truly an all time great.
Celeborn
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by Celeborn »

I am enormously disappointed. It is the most fascinating battle of the entire war. It seems out only hope is with folks like Enric who will invest the time in developing mods. (after playing his scenarios it is hard to go back to the base game)
PantheraTigris
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by PantheraTigris »

Panzer Corps Soviet Corps has it, and I have PC, so I'll likely just get Soviet Corps and the heck with it...
Amaris
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by Amaris »

“Take care, my friend; watch your six, and do one more roll… just for me.”
PantheraTigris
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by PantheraTigris »

I just purchased Soviet Corps. However I am really really enjoying both BA and BA2 more right now, so I'm still hopeful that Stalingrad for single player is somehow added.
DonCzirr

Post by DonCzirr »

Yep - it would scratch a totally different itch.

Operational vs house to house tactical .... both are nice ... and both are needed !

PantheraTigris
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by PantheraTigris »

Agreed, I love house to house tactical...
RyeM
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by RyeM »

This would be a great expansion.

Return to “Battle Academy 2 – Eastern Front”