Advanced tooltip - cover

Forum for discussion of the next iteration of the BA engine. This time with a all new open development approach!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, BA Moderators

goatfeeder
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Advanced tooltip - cover

Post by goatfeeder »

Hi,

Please can somebody clarify for me how the 'cover' mechanic works in the advanced tooltips (i.e. the ones with the extra information)?

To me it looks like the 'Kill chance' is multiplied by the cover modifier i.e. if the kill chance is 20% and the cover modifier is 30% then the kill chance becomes 6%. However, isn't this the wrong way round? Higher cover elements seem to have a higher cover %, so I would have thought that the kill chance should be multiplied by (1-cover modifier).

Apologies if I'm missing something obvious here. It does seem as though the game behaves as expected - units in higher cover are harder to hit - so either I'm misunderstanding something or the tooltip is not accurate.

Mike
OpT1mUs
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Re: Advanced tooltip - cover

Post by OpT1mUs »

Sorry to necro such an old thread but I have the same exact question, can someone explain how cover works exactly?

edit: just noticed this is BA2 board, but seeing that this is the only place I've seen this mentioned, and I assume similar/same mechanics are used in both games.

Can someone dissect the shown tooltip for me, thanks. Especially "cover modifier 65%" and how does cover rating 18% play into the calculation> Also what is terrain accuracy modifier for AP shots?
Attachments
20170215212428_1.jpg
20170215212428_1.jpg (195.92 KiB) Viewed 1664 times
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Advanced tooltip - cover

Post by pipfromslitherine »

The cover rating is the average of the two cover damage reduction values. So in this case the 35% damage reduction equates to the 65% cover modifier (so the damage is reduced to 65%, going from a 45% kill change to 29%).

IIRC

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here

Return to “Battle Academy 2 – Eastern Front”