No scrapping of any units allowed . . .

Moderators: Slitherine Core, The Lordz

stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

No scrapping of any units allowed . . .

Post by stockwellpete »

. . . not even if they are a "garrison" unit down to 1 strength point. Anybody want to play me on that basis?
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Re: No scrapping of any units allowed . . .

Post by stockwellpete »

No-one? :(

I am playing two MP games at the moment where I have not scrapped any troops and it is not too problematic for me as a player. Very weak units usually get destroyed anyway and those that get away I tend to use as coastal garrisons in quieter areas until I am ready to re-build them. In one of the two games we had an agreement not to scrap any ships so my opponent can only scrap infantry units if he wants to and that game is still fairly even well into 1916. The other game I am going to lose quite heavily as my opponent scrapped a number of ships at the start and built more infantry units instead. I have never been able to catch up really and I will be defeated by the end of 1915.

So, in terms of game balance, I think you need to have an agreement with your opponent at the beginning about scrapping things (so it means I cannot put open challenges on the system at the moment). My own view is that you should just not be able to scrap ships - it is ridiculously ahistorical and governments would fall over the issue. I don't really understand how players who like historical wargames can be happy with the "process" of lumps of steel miraculously being converted into more soldiers within the space of a few weeks (that is, in effect, what happens).

Scrapping infantry is a bit different. I wouldn't allow it in the game myself but I would like some way of merging damaged units into new units so they could be sent off to the front again - this would be much more historical than just scrapping units.
JJ_Pihtari
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by JJ_Pihtari »

I'm game. Have posted an open challenge.
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

JJ_Pihtari wrote:I'm game. Have posted an open challenge.
Just looked but someone else must have picked it up. Perhaps we can have a game after the Xmas break?

I have been experimenting with this "no scrapping" idea. There are various levels we can try . . .

i) no scrapping of naval units only
ii) no scrapping of naval and air units
iii) no scrapping of naval and air units or of land units that are still at 5 strength points and above
iv) no scrapping of any units

All seem to work OK provided both players are doing exactly the same thing with regards to scrapping.
JJ_Pihtari

Post by JJ_Pihtari »

stockwellpete wrote:
JJ_Pihtari wrote:I'm game. Have posted an open challenge.
Just looked but someone else must have picked it up. Perhaps we can have a game after the Xmas break?

I have been experimenting with this "no scrapping" idea. There are various levels we can try . . .

iii) no scrapping of naval and air units or of land units that are still at 5 strength points and above

All seem to work OK provided both players are doing exactly the same thing with regards to scrapping.
Sorry, didn't notice this post earlier. Unfortunately my plate is full at the moment. So far I have achieved CP victories without scrapping any units.
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

JJ_Pihtari wrote:Sorry, didn't notice this post earlier. Unfortunately my plate is full at the moment. So far I have achieved CP victories without scrapping any units.
OK, when you get a free slot send me a PM and we can have a game. :wink:
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

I have some free slots available to start new 1914 campaign games - I don't mind which side I am to play. I just need to reach agreement on "scapping" house rules first. Any one of four levels is OK with me . . .

Happy New Year to everyone. :D

Return to “Commander the Great War : Opponent Finder”