old Potzblitz thread (discontinued)

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, The Lordz

Zombo
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Re: POTZBLITZ mod Update V3.4 (DEC 11th)

Post by Zombo »

Can't wait :D
tralala43
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by tralala43 »

Just to make sure - by next weekend you mean the weekend after this weekend, right?
Luckyluke14
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by Luckyluke14 »

Robotron wrote:- new leaders: Crown Prince Wilhelm
Wonderful, now I wont have to manually add him back into my game when I update to 4.0. (Thanks again for explaining how to do that) Will the Crown Prince have events tied to his deployment and or usage or do we get him from the start? I kinda want to wait and see though. :)

I also wanted to say that this mod have been fantastic ever since I found out about it last December, Its wonderful to see some much effort being put into this game, as well as surprising to see how modifiable it is.
Robotron
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Post by Robotron »

@LuckyLuke: Crown Prince Willy will have the special trait that for every attack his unit performs Germany will gain +1 morale, for every enemy unit he destroys +2. Should he fall for the glory of the fatherland, Germany will suffer morale according to the current number of German collapse points.

Right now I'm playing a test game as Entente where the AI chose war plan "Rupprecht": attacking through Switzerland instead of Belgium, leaving Britain out of the game until well past mid 1915. No British blockade means no CP hunger problems which was quite useful for CP. As expected the German attack stalled after the first Swiss fort had fallen and I thought it to be a good plan to mass French artillery and buy LOTS of ammo factories (1 PP per upgrade: e.g. 7 PP for upgrade from 6 ammo factories to 7) to punch through Alsac-Lorraine, blasting any Germans that came into range of my chlorine-spitting cannons. This worked quite well until just when Italy chose to join my Entente and a DELUGE of CP units that were concentrating on the rather narrow western front came swarming over the Alps, backed by Fokker-enhanced fighters and equipped with flamers led by Rupprecht and Herzog Albrecht (who spawned after CP took Warsaw).

Helped by an ill-timed avalanche caused by mountain-blasting (yes, that's an event!) that destroyed a key Italian garrison, Central Powers troops soon seized Venice, Milan and Florence: Italy is now at already 5 collapse points! Cadorna is dead and so is the Italian navy that managed to run into Adriatic mines just to be attacked by SMS Goeben which was re-routed to AH after my decision to honour the British-Turkish Battleship deal. It didn't help that the AI chose to create a flotilla of AH subs after Italy joined Entente!

The Russians are just recovering from their supply crisis event as I made Polivanov the new minister of war and have daringly managed to snatch Danzig (but not Königsberg which is still defended by Von Francois) but all three army corps are doomed for destruction as I made the attack not accounting for onset of early winter, sapping their efficiency. Meanwhile Romania is struggling (influenced them via diplo to join earlier) to keep the supply route to Serbia open with Austrian troops spilling over the Carpathians. Serbia itself is quite o.k. since I sent the "Scottish Women hospitals" early enough to get that damn typhoid epidemic off their neck.

Turkey and Bulgaria are still a few months away from DOWing (late 1915) but so is US (all the more) since Germany had no need to cause any convoy losses up to now but instead Russia has managed to anger Sweden and US by repeatedly sinking neutral Swedish convoys heading through the Baltic. Once Romania (or Italy?) is gone, Turkey and Bulgaria will be joining CP, that's for sure (and maybe Persia, since AI chose to play "Wilhelm Wassmuss").

Also I suffered Russian army code broken (twice!) and industrial sabotage on France caused by not investing in counter-INTEL and SIGINT.

Just an example of a somewhat "unusual" game which the new PotzBlitz 4.0 can offer. :D
Slitherine's Commander the Great War - Director's Cut: POTZBLITZ mod!
FIND IT HERE: http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=218&t=77884&p=662610#p662610
Luckyluke14

Post by Luckyluke14 »

Robotron wrote:@LuckyLuke: Crown Prince Willy will have the special trait that for every attack his unit performs Germany will gain +1 morale, for every enemy unit he destroys +2. Should he fall for the glory of the fatherland, Germany will suffer morale according to the current number of German collapse points.
Great, now the newspapers have something to report on besides how food keeps getting more expensive.
AI chose war plan "Rupprecht": attacking through Switzerland instead of Belgium. . .

backed by Fokker-enhanced fighters and equipped with flamers led by Rupprecht and Herzog Albrecht (who spawned after CP took Warsaw). . .

Helped by an ill-timed avalanche caused by mountain-blasting (yes, that's an event!) that destroyed a key Italian garrison. . .

my decision to honour the British-Turkish Battleship deal. . .

Meanwhile Romania is struggling (influenced them via diplo to join earlier) with Austrian troops spilling over the Carpathians. . .

Serbia itself is quite o.k. since I sent the "Scottish Women hospitals" early enough to get that damn typhoid epidemic off their neck. . .

Russia has managed to anger Sweden and US by repeatedly sinking neutral Swedish convoys heading through the Baltic. . .

(and maybe Persia, since AI chose to play "Wilhelm Wassmuss").

Also I suffered Russian army code broken (twice!) and industrial sabotage on France caused by not investing in counter-INTEL and SIGINT. . .

Just an example of a SOMEWHAT "unusual" game which the new PotzBlitz 4.0 can offer. :D
:? . . . usually this kind of work would cost me $19.99 for an official 1914-1918 dlc pack. Its fantastic to hear about all manner of events, mechanics and gameplay converge into a unique Weltkrieg experience.
Moreau
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Moreau »

That sounds awesome man,great work

and how will avalenaches work?
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

Avalanches can only occur while fighting in the Austrian/Switzerland Alps mountains or randomly.

The chance for an avalanche getting triggered will depend on the number of fights that have taken place on mountain terrain: the more often your own troops have attacked in the turn the higher the chance for a catastrophic avalanche sweeping away the currently active player's unit.

Chance is doubled in winter and for any artillery attacks performed.

Also each mountain hex in the Alps will be checked each turn during winter for a "natural" avalanche going off.

Avalanches will slightly damage army corps, severely damage reserve corps and will automatically annihilate everything else.

Only one avalanche per turn, chance will reset to zero each after each turn.

Average probability is very low, unless you have been fighting in the Alps for months.
FIND IT HERE: http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=218&t=77884&p=662610#p662610
nehi
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by nehi »

Robotron wrote: Average probability is very low, unless you have been fighting in the Alps for months.
then aicraft bombing of enemy lines should increase probability for them 8)

dual effect
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

nehi wrote:
Robotron wrote: Average probability is very low, unless you have been fighting in the Alps for months.
then aicraft bombing of enemy lines should increase probability for them 8)

dual effect
Good idea!
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

Playtesting finished. Checking all files needed for the upload (will be about twice as large as 3.4). Elaborate PDF will follow.
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

Uploading...
nehi

Post by nehi »

Robotron wrote:Uploading...

maybe u can start new thread for v4.0

there are a lot of changes, it sounds like completely different game 8)
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

Will do so, after all there aren't that many active mods for the game. If the moderators should disagree, please merge the upcoming new thread with this one, thanks.
Moreau
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Moreau »

Cheers
saber255
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by saber255 »

So excited for this Release date .I would have brought this as an DLC thank you for all the time and hard work that I know you put into this
Bandiitti

Post by Bandiitti »

So just when I thought I was done with this mod it seems there is a new version with some really cool looking features. Seems like I might have to use few more days just being hooked on this game again.

I played two games of this version and it was kinda great, even though it left me a little disappointed in the end. In my first game I played my usual strategy from vanilla: Knock out Serbia, then Russia and France for dessert. So I only pushed to Brussels in the west and then moved my artillery to Serbian front. It was initially successful as Serbia was gone pretty quickly, but not advancing to France cost me some national morale because of the event, which is a great addition because it forces you to play somewhat historically and try to push France quickly. I also ceded Trento to Italy, to prolong opening a new front, but that was also a mistake as Austria-Hungary suffered morale loss that in the end was quite fatal as I didn't challenge the Royal Navy to break the blockade and fought Russian navy instead to beat them more quickly and protect the convoys in the Baltic Sea. In the end I managed to beat Russia in 1917 but AH and therefore Germany collapsed also in 1917 and 1918 before I could beat France so the outcome was pretty historical. I was really bummed that after all that work but I guess that's how Central Powers felt in 1918. So no complaints there.

In my second game I focused on advancing in the western front and managed to take Paris in 1915. I also successfully destroyed a lot of British ships and eventually got naval supremacy so my ships could just hang in the English Channel. So I was blockade free for most of the time and got the North Sea cleared event a few times. Still for some reason CP morale was dropping surprisingly fast. But what really ruined my game was that Russia just refused to surrender. France surrendered in 1916 and after that I pushed Russians out of Germany and shattered their army quite quickly. I conquered Odessa, Minsk, Brest-Litovsk and Kiev and Romania also surrendered, but that damn Rasputin just didn't die and I was still pushing towards Petrograd in 1918. That's when AH collapsed once again and Germany went with it. I think it kinda sucked that Russia didn't surrender even though it's army was shattered, cities taken and it was 1918 (And France had surrendered also, when AH collapsed Germany lost 38 morale). So I guess luck with events plays quite a big role in Russian surrender?

I was also a little surprised that British morale seemed to stay decent throughout this game. They had protests once, even though I destroyed maybe 5 capital ships from them, took Suez canal, crushed Gallipoli landings and Salonika and succesfully took Dublin in Irish rebellion and held it till the end of the game and of course their casualties were huge as I sunk a ton of convoys transporting troops. And as mentioned, France had surrendered. So I wonder what does it take to make their morale waver, a landing in London? I think it would be nice to see enemy morale somehow because in the end I really felt that it's impossible to make them surrender.

The events are mostly great and really nice addition to the game but France coming back to war in 1918 was kinda stupid in my opinion. For the rest of the game they declared war in every other turn and surrendered in next turn. I also started having a lot of crashes towards the end of the second game. Some naval units were bugged and I had to play a turn differently twice in the sea because the game kept crashing on AI turn caused by certain naval actions.

I was really positively surprised to see that this mod is still under work and I'm definitely going to test the new version. Despite these few annoying things I enjoyed most of the time, thanks for a great mod.
jkehoe

Post by jkehoe »

hello guys:)
probably a stupid question but I just installed Linux to replace Windows totally on my old computer. I guess there is no way of playing CTGW/Potzblitz on a Linux system?
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

Ever heard about "Wine"? It's for running Windows stuff on Linux systems. That's all I know so please don't ask me about how to install it.

https://wiki.debian.org/Wine

Return to “Commander the Great War : Mods & Scenario Design”