Potzblitz V24.2b JAN 1st 2024

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, The Lordz

Robotron
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Re: POTZBLITZ V4.83 (beta), AUG 7th

Post by Robotron »

@Zombo: are there any naval retreats happening during the replay?
Slitherine's Commander the Great War - Director's Cut: POTZBLITZ mod!
FIND IT HERE: http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=218&t=77884&p=662610#p662610
Zombo
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by Zombo »

No
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

Okay folks...

as expected after looking through all the logfiles from my test games vs. Zombo there is something very wrong going on during replay concerning results of retreats and damages applied to units triggered by movement, attacks and events such as:

- sea mines
- attaque a outrance
- alpine avalanches
- ground unit retreats and naval retreats (we even had units retreating TWICE from an attack, once by the original attacker and then again by invisible "phantom" units)

etc.

The reason for the replay crashes as is my current understanding:
Results of events during replay are not matching those of the results of the same events during the actual turn because during replay different die rolls are fed to the functions than during the actual turns.
This might lead to additional retreats, better or worse combat results and all kind of mayhem most likely units ending up with different strength values.
When the game tries to copy the unit data from the replay back to the current turn there will be situations where the data does not match anymore: units are not where they are expected to be caused by retreats/losses/destruction that only happened during the replay.
For instance if two units suddenly happen to be on the same hex. This, so much I've learned from the past, always leads to a crash without error message in the logfile because not the scripts but the game engine itself is failing.
Also the retreat functions were riddled with oversights from where the jump from Potzblitz V3 to V4 happened.

All this seems to be manageable though to get MP working after all.

Singleplayer mode should still work almost flawless.

Further changes for V4.85:

- removed bug where Trento was suddenly ceded to Italy without CP player having been given a choice
- strangely overblown Danish army reduced to Reserve Corps only. It somehow felt wrong to see 2 Danish Army Corps appearing on the Western front when during test play the Royal Navy tried to break through into the Baltic by attacking Denmark.
- same for Switzerland, but enough PP given to build an Army Corps, at least as long as the capital is held (probably by the French if Germany chooses war plan Rupprecht). Skt Maurice now held by small garrison to further need of French assistance
- "French doctrine changed", "Austrian defense plans" and "War plan Rupprecht" will cause 5-10 morale loss and deny that alliance the "Waves of Patriotism" choice event.
- "Marne Taxis" and "Gallieni to defend Paris" will only spawn Reserve Corps and will use up French PP
- ceding Tsingtao to Japan will cost Germany 1D6 morale and 1D6 diplo points, else this always was a no-brainer
- Reversed the consequences for occupying Tabriz by the Russians: early Russian invasion into Persia will bring Persia closer to Entente and will gain diplo points. Before the event just clogged the event choice list.
- "Bring Hindenburg" event will no longer reduce range of Hindenburg (proved to be unreliable and might cause instability) but now the "Max Hoffmann" event will be discarded instead
- as of now (only 7 players have voted) fighters will remain at LOS 4 but at 25 PP, zeps will be LOS 6 at 25 PP (ammo usage reduced to 1)

Cheers!
FIND IT HERE: http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=218&t=77884&p=662610#p662610
zajcev169
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by zajcev169 »

I think this interesting mod is totally ruined by overpowered Russian invasion in the beginning of the game. It looks like they are getting some bonus in addition to having too advanced units (in reality their army was obsolete, also in vanilla). They go through fully entrenched garrisons like butter (German or Austrian, it doesn't matter) with 2 unit attacks (level 1 units without general). The rest seems more or less ok.
nehi
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by nehi »

zajcev169 wrote:I think this interesting mod is totally ruined by overpowered Russian invasion in the beginning of the game. It looks like they are getting some bonus in addition to having too advanced units (in reality their army was obsolete, also in vanilla). They go through fully entrenched garrisons like butter (German or Austrian, it doesn't matter) with 2 unit attacks (level 1 units without general). The rest seems more or less ok.
i guess thats intentional, to force u to use infantries there
MarechalJoffre
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by MarechalJoffre »

I have noticed a pattern with the CP AI. It always chooses Rupprecht plan, I have not seen Germany invade through Belgium since the last patch came out.
zajcev169 wrote:I think this interesting mod is totally ruined by overpowered Russian invasion in the beginning of the game. It looks like they are getting some bonus in addition to having too advanced units (in reality their army was obsolete, also in vanilla). They go through fully entrenched garrisons like butter (German or Austrian, it doesn't matter) with 2 unit attacks (level 1 units without general). The rest seems more or less ok.
Initial Russian assault was actually pretty overwhelming. They conquered Austrian Galicia in less than a month and put serious pressure on Germany that they even considered abandoning East Prussia altogether. So no, it's not overpowered. It just requires you to handle it carefully.
zajcev169

Post by zajcev169 »

MarechalJoffre wrote:I have noticed a pattern with the CP AI. It always chooses Rupprecht plan, I have not seen Germany invade through Belgium since the last patch came out.
Initial Russian assault was actually pretty overwhelming. They conquered Austrian Galicia in less than a month and put serious pressure on Germany that they even considered abandoning East Prussia altogether. So no, it's not overpowered. It just requires you to handle it carefully.
The problem is this mod tries to simulate "history" at all cost without looking at reasons why certain things happened. The initial Russian success can be attributed to:
  • wrong initial troop deployment by Hotzendorf when too many troops were initially sent to Serbia. It was corrected later but it was too late to save the situation as they arrived too late on front.
  • insistence of Hotzendorf to attack in Poland without German assistence
  • Hotzendorf removing troops from Bruderman to reinforce attack in Poland which didn't help in the attack but were missed
  • Hotzendorf giving wrong orders to Aufenberg creating a gap that Russians exploited and defeated Aufenberg
  • insufficient defensive preparations due to insistence on offence
without these mistakes (basically they are all on Hotzendorf) Austria-Hungary would have fared much better. Later the famous Brusilov offensive was Hotzendorfs blunder as well who pulled troops from Galician front leaving no reserves there for his offensive in Italy.

In this mod, even if you do not make mistakes the Austrian front just falls apart. No way to stop it except like nehi suggested using all available infantry to defend against Russia in the initial attack. Fully entrenched garrison (+ defensive preparations event) stands basically no chance as it retreats too fast. Infantry is offensive unit, you should not be required to use it for defence to survive.

What chance then Turkey has to survive?
nehi

Post by nehi »

zajcev169 wrote: In this mod, even if you do not make mistakes the Austrian front just falls apart. No way to stop it except like nehi suggested using all available infantry to defend against Russia in the initial attack. Fully entrenched garrison (+ defensive preparations event) stands basically no chance as it retreats too fast. Infantry is offensive unit, you should not be required to use it for defence to survive.
but thats goal of this mod, to make some troubles even vs ai (as actually ai cant be rewritten, it has to be done such way it is)

u still can smash france first and then turn on russians to pull them back

i see no problem in it

its about your decisions and handling your armies
Last edited by nehi on Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

MarechalJoffre wrote:I have noticed a pattern with the CP AI. It always chooses Rupprecht plan, I have not seen Germany invade through Belgium since the last patch came out.
How many times have you loaded the game? I just loaded the game for about 30 times and did not notice any pattern that would even remotely confirm your "always" claim.

Here's how the event choice procedure for the AI works:

Everytime the "choose event" function is called the following happens:

- first the game checks whether there's a need to use diplo points for INFLUENCE or INTEL.
- if the player has spent more INFLUENCE or INTEL then there's a % chance depending on the player's lead that the diplo points will be spent on such actions and not events
- if there's no need to use INFLUENCE or INTEL or the % roll is failed then:
- events are added to or removed from the event pool according to a quite long list of checks of the map situation and other parameters like morale, manpower, collapse point of factions and events already played.
- the function then randomly picks from the events pool until it has 3 different events
- the function then looks at the first event and rolls against that event's probability chance. If the roll is failed then the next event is checked. If this roll is also failed then the last event is checked.
- If the third roll also fails then the diplo points are randomly distributed as per "choose none" button on the event choice screen.
- if an event is played the event pool is readjusted again by adding new events that got unlocked by the last played event or removing events having been made obsolete by the last played event.

The initial event pool for CP consists of 8 events with the following % chances to trigger each event IF it gets drawn and no other event got triggered before.

Schlieffen : 100%
German Army Redeploys: 50%
Rupprecht: 50%
AH Defense Planning: 100%
Kaiser's Gold: 100%
Goeben Battlecruiser: 100%
Ultimatum to Belgium: 100%
Ultimatum to Serbia: 33,3%

Example: the game picked the following 3 events: Ultimatum Serbia, Kaiser's Gold and Schlieffen (in that order)

- first to get checked is Ultimatum Serbia: the 33% chance roll fails, so the 2nd event gets checked (note that the 33% chance is not the chance for Serbia to surrender but only for the event to get triggered):
- Kaiser's Gold is 100% so the AI plays that event
- Schlieffen is not tested because Kaiser's Gold was chosen (but might be drawn again later until war with France breaks out in turn 3 or "Rupprecht" or "German Army Redeploys" get played before)

If you'd like to see different % values I'm all ears to hear about your suggestions.
MarechalJoffre
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by MarechalJoffre »

Robotron wrote:
How many times have you loaded the game? I just loaded the game for about 30 times and did not notice any pattern that would even remotely confirm your "always" claim.
I loaded it 5 times to test it, all yielded the same result with Germany taking Rupprecht plan. It could be a coincidence though, I guess.
Zombo

Post by Zombo »

To comment on my game with Robotron, the overall feelings was extremely satisfying. There is some fine-tuning to do here and there, but on the whole, the magic operates.

I was surprised to see comments about the Russians being overpowered: in my opinion, if anything, they are underpowered ( or their AH opponents are overpowered). Indeed, the only historical "dynamics" that is still very difficult to replicate, barring a combination of poor play and bad luck, is the AH complete rout in Galicia. As the AH, you're more likely to hold on to Lemberg than to lose it, not to mention Preszmsyl.

My only concern regarding an aspect whose impact is not negligible is ( I mentioned this before, and I know Robotron hates it when I harp on on something, but I'd like to hear other people's comments) is the commanders mortality rate. In our game, we had just reached autumn 1915 and four (!) CP commanders had died. Historically, and to my knowledge, no commander present in the game died from the hands of the enemy. They did not expose themselves to enemy fire, for a good reason, and their headquarters where well behind the frontline. Samsonov's army was encircled and destroyed, took a beating like few other WW1 armies did, and Samsonov, by all accounts I read, was never endangered by enemy fire; he had to do the job himself. The one other example of armies being thoroughly torn apart is the AH during Brusilov's offensive, and I don't recall any Austrian commander having been endangered either.

Regarding naval warfare, admittedly one of the least satisfying of the game's core mechanics, I was wondering if the idea behind the "retreat" capability of cruisers couldn't be better developed. To make naval combat less "automatic", I was wondering if there couldn't be a % chance of the combat yielding 0 losses on each side, based on the defender's speed compared to the attacker's speed ( simulating, of course, escape, not invulnerability). this, for example, would allow a daring German to attempt North Sea incursions with fast ships ( now a strictly suicidal option)

anyway, a gem of a mod

waiting for a Plan Luddendorf, an all-east variant with a strictly defensive stance in the West (no invasion of a minor country).
jkehoe
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by jkehoe »

sorry to be a complete idiot but.. i have just had to reinstall windows and ofc CTGW was close to top of the list of priorities. But i have forgotten which potzblitz versions to download:) do i need them all or just the most recent 4083 and 4.7? sorry to ask and thanks in advance, john
Zombo

Post by Zombo »

Hi John

just the 4.7 and the subsequent 4.83 update, if I'm not mistaken
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

Actually the latest update is V4.84

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0N7V ... TZMd29mVDg

V4.85 is almost ready for upload too and will include all the new insights gained from my test games vs. Zombo (and fighter LOS 3) ;)
jkehoe

Post by jkehoe »

I have just reinstalled and everything is fine except this crash at the end of moves sometimes. If I go back and make another (often unnecessary) move it's ok but i thought you might want to see this:)

I often delay russian mobilization and it's true they are very strong in the beginning (although german cavalry armies on the eastern front are awesome!!) but come spring 1915 when the russian war machine comes to a halt you pay it all back in spades and single german corps destroy whole armies who can no longer move:)) be careful!

i am just starting a game and trying to be conservative with russian advances, we'll see how it goes)
Attachments
ctgw.zip
crash end of move
(347 Bytes) Downloaded 77 times
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

@jkehoe: the logfile contains no error message.
Do NOT reload the game after a crash or the logfile will be erased and will be blank like the one you provided.
I need the logfile from just after the crash has happened, so try to reproduce the crash and see if there's something like an error message at the end.

If after reproducing the crash the logfile is still blank (no error message) then I need the last autosave.endturn file so I can see the general situation on the map.
Unless you can provide the autosave.endturn file there's little I can do but maybe you can provide some info:

At which stage/game turn of the game did the crash happen? What was the situation on the map, which side did you play?
Robotron

Re: POTZBLITZ V5 announcement

Post by Robotron »

In case you're wondering whether this mod is still alive: yes, indeed! ALIVE AND KICKING and we're going right to V5 with the next update!

Had to postpone the new update since real life business was rearing its ugly head again lately but I guess you're all going to approve of changes made including a fully functioning all new "Warplan East" (needs a proper name though, suggestions?) option which will start war vs Russia in turn 3 by trying to brute-force rushing the Russians with Germany while staying passive in the west, just guarding the German-Franco border with no invasion of Belgium.
Choosing the event will move all of the German Western Army Corps with commanders to the East but deny Germany the "Tannenberg", "Bring Hindenburg", "Waves of Patriotism", Volunteer Recruits" and "Max Hoffmann" events, drain 20 morale and add 1 collapse point from the start while allowing a pre-emptive strike (DOW Russia on CP turn) of German units into Russia, which will not be allowed anymore if choosing either of the remaining three war plans.
Britain will join Entente once Turkey has joined CP then to defend its protectorates in the Middle East.

All the stuff from the already announced V4.85 still applies:

- removed bug where Trento was suddenly ceded to Italy without CP player having been given a choice
- strangely overblown Danish army reduced to Reserve Corps only. It somehow felt wrong to see 2 Danish Army Corps appearing on the Western front when during test play the Royal Navy tried to break through into the Baltic by attacking Denmark.
- same for Switzerland, but enough PP given to build an Army Corps, at least as long as the capital is held (probably by the French if Germany chooses war plan Rupprecht). Skt Maurice now held by small garrison to further need of French assistance
- "French doctrine changed", "Austrian defense plans" and "War plan Rupprecht" will cause 5-10 morale loss and deny that alliance the "Waves of Patriotism" choice event.
- "Marne Taxis" and "Gallieni to defend Paris" will only spawn Reserve Corps and will use up French PP
- ceding Tsingtao to Japan will cost Germany 1D6 morale and 1D6 diplo points, else this always was a no-brainer
- Reversed the consequences for occupying Tabriz by the Russians: early Russian invasion into Persia will bring Persia closer to Entente and will gain diplo points. Before the event just clogged the event choice list.
- "Bring Hindenburg" event will no longer reduce range of Hindenburg (proved to be unreliable and might cause instability) but now the "Max Hoffmann" event will be discarded instead
- as of now (only 7 players have voted) fighters will remain at LOS 4 but at 25 PP, zeps will be LOS 6 at 25 PP (ammo usage reduced to 1)

new stuff:

- fighters are now LOS 3 (because of the survey results) but tech research times got shortened to compensate
- Berber Revolts are stopped once a Berber attack meets a French Reserve (50% chance) or Army Corps (100% chance)
- Fritz Haber event unlocks the next pending gas tech, not only chlorine gas
- commander kill chance is directly related to their commanding range, so the higher the range the less likely they are going to die
- naval commanders will ALWAYS die, heroically going down with their flagships
- Air aces have a chance to get wounded and therefore have a chance to die during every single attack, the chance being modified by their experience (intercepts now gain experience too) and unit upgrades in comparison to the enemy fighters encountered
- chances to get hit by sea mines reduced and damage taken also
- miscellaneous bugfixes

Also did a lot of reconstructing "dubious" parts of the code but to be completely sure everything is set and ready I'd like to ask whether any of you can recall how often you played the MP version of the earlier Potzblitz V3 (before the choice events etc. got included) and how often the "replay crash" struck during those games and whether you were able to finish those games at all?
As always as much detail as possible is of premium importance to me.

Secondly, if you got anything else you'd want to have included please say so.

See ya soon in the trenches!
Zombo

Post by Zombo »

ALIVE AND KICKING and we're going right to V5 with the next update!
Great news!
- chances to get hit by sea mines reduced and damage taken also
Most welcome!
(btw, now that I think of it, were Avalanches toned down? at the scale of the game, they felt like planetary cataclysms...)
I'd like to ask whether any of you can recall how often you played the MP version of the earlier Potzblitz V3 (before the choice events etc. got included) and how often the "replay crash" struck during those games and whether you were able to finish those games at all?
I don't remember any, but I only played one MP game in that version
Secondly, if you got anything else you'd want to have included please say so.
If I remember well, when Serbia gives in to the Austrian ultimatum, Russia attacks right away. Now, if it makes sense from a game balance point of view ( the early Russian attack "compensating" for the bloodless demise of Serbia), it makes very little sense historically. Indeed, the time of Russia's entry in the war was a combination of:
1) the automatic trigger of the defensive alliance with Serbia
2) the delay to be minimally mobilized for war.

If Serbia had surrendered, there would have been no automatic reason for Russia to go to war, so even if it has to go to war -or else there is no game - the decisional process towards war would have been longer, not shorter. Not to mention that mobilization could obviously not have been hastened, and most likely delayed. So I think that if Serbia surrenders, the game should skip directly to 3-5 turns later, with a Russian attack on AH - then triggering Germany and France entering the war in turn.
The balance "compensation" could be a reduced AH mobilization%, a slighly reduced AH army at start, no "Austrian Defense plan" allowed, but 5-10 morale loss and no "Waves of Patriotism". also, because the AH would be attacked kinda by surprise, no AH heavy Guns for Germany either.

looking good, can't wait to try it!
jkehoe

Post by jkehoe »

Hi Robotron,

can you please help withthis one? at an interesting juncture and I tried four times to relaunch...crashes always! It's crashing when i try to end the current move,

any help gratefully received, john:)
Attachments
ctgw.zip
(957 Bytes) Downloaded 86 times
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

So I think that if Serbia surrenders, the game should skip directly to 3-5 turns later, with a Russian attack on AH - then triggering Germany and France entering the war in turn.
Since skipping turns is not possible, in said 3-5 turns AH would be able to redeploy most troops to Galicia, making a Russian invasion quite impossible. To break that deadlock Russia would need a decisive advantage like having industrial warfare tech already researched or something like that.

Implementing a reduced AH starting setup and modifying war effort is an option but quite frankly I'd hate to put so much effort into a low-chance event like Serbia surrendering to the AH ultimatum.

At the moment I'm puzzled about where to put German troops for the new "All East" war plan. In vicinity of Warsaw or in East Prussia to break through to Riga and Vilna?

New stuff added:

- managed to implement the "recon adjacent hexes" after a fighter attack on enemy unit. Zeppelins will do so likewise but with a greater radius of 2 hexes with a chance to fail for every individual hex beyond radius 1. This is to alleviate the now reduced Fighter LOS of 3. Probability is linked to unit experience in case of fighters and unit tech level in case of zeps.
- new buttons showing whether alliances are suffering from food shortages.
- 5 new marches for the title screen for variability: one each for France, Britain, Russia, AH and Italy.
Clipboard02.jpg
Clipboard02.jpg (14.66 KiB) Viewed 2894 times
@jkehoe: Thanks for reporting, find the fixed script in the attached archive below this post. The folder "Data" contained in the archive must be copied into the game's main directory as usual.
Attachments
Data.zip
(98.11 KiB) Downloaded 77 times

Return to “Commander the Great War : Mods & Scenario Design”