Opening opinions

Strategic War in Europe is a grand strategy game where you command one or more of the 25 countries in WW2.

Moderators: doomtrader, Slitherine Core

MrsWargamer
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Opening opinions

Post by MrsWargamer »

Weeeeeeell had to take the plunge after all I appear to have more funds than grey matter currently :)

Download the usual simple process, hmm 164 megs, been a while since I bought a game that small. Granted size means nothing to whether a game is any good.

Started the game and that process is quite nice. No fuss or bother, which is nice (it gets old having to wait several minutes for games to load).

Colourful interface, and everything seems easy to operate. I select the harsh test of course, the idiot test, can a person just start playing the game without wasting time doing something boring like read the &^*$# manual :) Nope, I had no clue what was wanted for the most part, this is clearly a play the tutorial first dumb dumb :)

So I leave not having reeeeeeally played yet, but I am hopeful. On the surface it looks promising. Being able to play so many different nations as specific nations will be unique for me at least. I am used to 2 sides to these games. I have alas delayes things gotta do etc etc this afternoon so I will need to report back in later with my after I played the tutorial report.

Just wanted to get in a response is all right now.
MrsWargamer

Re: Opening opinions

Post by MrsWargamer »

Kudos on the manner of crafting the tutorial.

It was simple, easy to follow, quick and not tedious and actually TAUGHT (wow what a concept :)). I have seen more than a few tutorials in my time well they claimed to be tutorials, but it was as if the teacher wasn't in the room. This program actually teaches in a clear fashion.

A person with average reading skill should have a good idea how to run this game in about 15 minutes by my own calculation. Late here though and the eyes are showing the time of day.

I am looking forward to experiencing the first actual game played. Thus far the detail level is good, and yet the complexity level is not too high. I have seen a few design options just in doing the tutorial, that I would like to see grabbed up by other game designers (which rarely seems to happen though).
captkiwi
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by captkiwi »

After reading the review it seems be similar to Time of Fury. Have you had a chance to compare both games?
doomtrader
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by doomtrader »

captkiwi wrote:After reading the review it seems be similar to Time of Fury. Have you had a chance to compare both games?
captkiwi, Strategic War in Europe can be treated as lighter version of Time of Fury.
We wanted to create the game which gives you possibility to finish the campaign within two or three days.
captkiwi
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by captkiwi »

thanks doomtrader>> Time of Fury is a bit time consuming to say the least...I'll definitely have to buy Strategic War in Europe.
MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

I can never fathom why people even use the term 'lite' in some cases when discussing wargames.

Lite suggests simpleton, easy challenge level, something you would play with your kids.

This game will seem like Time of Fury due to the designer being likely guilty of liking certain design aspects and keeping them in both games. But the better description is higher echelon of command scale. you need only command army corps and armies, not every blooming division brigade regiment unit. It's that level of detail that absorbs your time.

From what I know of games at this scale and scope, you have fewer decisions, and thus when the AI drops the ball and makes a blunder, it is the same as when your human opponent really blows a dice roll in Advanced Third Reich. 'Wow Bob, I simply don't know what to say, you rolling that number followed by me rolling this one and then you following up with the only number that could have had you actually lose a sure thing, just amazing'.

People only seem to see 'dummied down' when they read lite. It must be a disease. Oh right, the game is made so that idiots can have fun wargaming too :) WRONG!

You need only fire up this game and play a human to know you better have your game on to have any chance of winning. Because you won't be playing an AI and the usual AI short comings (and they all have them eh).
The nice thing is, you can likely play this in a day or two if both are willing to sit and fling turns back and forth at each other. Two guys on a weekend for instance could do this.
doomtrader

Post by doomtrader »

We have call it lite as when you compare the two games, there is not only the issue of scale (as this is the most important one), but also the amount of choices and options during the game.

Return to “Strategic War in Europe”