Sight Range question

Moderator: Pandora Moderators

adamsolo
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Sight Range question

Post by adamsolo »

Couldn't find the answer to this on the compendium. How exactly does sight range work? Which terrain(s) blocks sight?

For example, why can I see A (after forest), see C (after two hills) but not B (after two hills)? What are the rules for the sight range?

In the example below the colonial trooper has sight 3 because its on a fort.

SephiRok
Proxy Studios
Proxy Studios

Re: Sight Range question

Post by SephiRok »

Some tiles like Forests, Mountains, Fungus and Cities cost 2 sight, the rest cost 1 sight. Every tile consumes the sight cost as you look at a direction and unless you have enough sight left you can't see into the tile.

B in your case costs 4 to look into, but you have only 3.

We should add a tip about it and features should display their sight cost.
Rok Breulj
Designer and Programmer
Proxy Studios
adamsolo

Post by adamsolo »

I see. But then, if the fort was not on a hill it would't make much sense to see lake A, because the lake would be after a forest with a hill but your sight range logic would allow it to be seen. I guess a more physical elevation/blocking system would have been preferable, no? However, I understand your reason to keep it simple. For the most part I think it works, but sometimes it doesn't seem to make much sense. Is by any chance the rationale for your sight range decision based on the use of sonar/sensor range instead of "normal" line of sight?

By the way, as we are on the subject of tile consumption. Why do you allow a unit with 0.5 moves left to enter a mountain or forest which costs 2 moves? By the same sight range consumption logic you shouldn't be allowed to, right? Is it for "ease of play" reasons?
void
Proxy Studios
Proxy Studios

Post by void »

For sight rules there is a difference between revealing tiles from full darkness (those work like the rules for movement, as long as you have positive sight points the tile is no longer fully hidden), and sight rules for fully sighting a tile and the units inside / lifting its fog of war (you need to pay the full sight cost of the tile for that).

We went that route for simplicity reasons and to make sight-stacking via devices/advancements/features more valuable (so you either see further or into tiles you normally wouldn't see).

However, we're definitely open to suggestions. Not fully happy with the rules either.
Lorenz Ruhmann
Proxy Studios

Return to “Pandora : Public Beta”