Re: Campaign Germany 1813

Post by richafricanus »

dvorkin
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by dvorkin »

Hi
Did you receive my private mail about your specific rule as random event or attrition after battle
richafricanus
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by richafricanus »

Hi Dvorkin, sorry I didn't receive a pm from you. What was the question?

Find the latest campaign update here:

http://1813campaignloa.blogspot.com.au/ ... fight.html
deadtorius
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by deadtorius »

Lucky break for Austria, hopefully the "Shovel" will get himself out of the dirt and keep his eyes open for a change, falling on the Guards rear would be a nice treat for Austria no doubt. Looking forward to seeing how the boys in white get out of another fine mess they have gotten themselves into
Thanks for the excellent reports :D
madcam2us
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by madcam2us »

richard,

In an earlier post, you mentioned some random events and other TO only rules.... Have you posted them somewhere? If not, would you mind PM'ing them to
scott.jeske@fuse.net?

TIA<

Madcam.
There goes another crossing the Rubicon!
W/D/L
CoA - 3/0/0
C.I. - 1/1/1
Ottoman - 6/0/1
Khurasian - 3/5/2
Catalan - 4/0/0
dvorkin

Post by dvorkin »

Hi, Richard

I looked to your campaign and I found the idea great to promote FOG N. I lived in north of France near Belgium border.

So with my Belgium friends and I want to use use your system if you agree and in this case I have few questions.

Are you using the real ODB of this period and transform in FOG system?

You talk about attrition notably for forced march or logistic supply cut how do you transform this on unit?

Do you take in account that conscript are no more green after a couples of battle?

After a battle how do you manage with the loss and the recovery?

Weather and other random events, have a table for these events?

Hope my questions and my bad english are clear enough
bahdahbum
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by bahdahbum »

Hi, Richard,

I am a friend of Olivier ( Dvorkin ) .

What is also of interest is the size of the armies you play and the usual size of the table ( 15mm or 254 mm )

Regards

Jacques
bahdahbum

Post by bahdahbum »

Hi, Richard,

I am a friend of Olivier ( Dvorkin ) .

What is also of interest is the size of the armies you play and the usual size of the table ( 15mm or 25 mm )

And we have the swedish :D enven the Danish

Regards

Jacques
richafricanus

Post by richafricanus »

Hi Olivier & Jacques, it's great if you use my rules etc. When umpiring I find it is easiest not to have too many hard and fast rules for things and definitely not to tell the players too many rules either. That way you can use your discretion to make things happen that makes the campaign work. I started the campaign to get more people playing FOG N games and less to run an intricate campaign. So I've kept the system very simple and easy to administer. So to answer your specific questions:
1. Army lists - all are based on FOG N lists. Players were given an 800 point corps each and told to draw up an army from the book. Once they take losses they can then go out of the list restrictions. They can also redo their lists to upgrade conscripts if they want to. They must just keep to the points. I started off looking at modeling the lists on historical oob's but that looked like too much admin so went to points.
2. Losses from battles - I also simply tell players how many points they've lost and they revise their lists to the new points. I have a rough idea of how many points I will take off depending on the outcome, but never less than 5%. If most of the fighting is with your cav or your guard then I may specify the points must come from there but that's the exception. Again not too much science in it. It takes me about 5 mins to decide this to give you an idea of how little admin is involved. I apply a similar rule for losses from forced marches or cut supply lines. Keep everything to points and let the players revise their own lists to keep your workload down.
3. Weather so far has only affected map movement not battles. There's a 1 in 6 chance your march will be slowed by bad weather. I will now also make it a 1 in 6 chance that a battle may have bad weather.
4. Each hex on my map translates into 3 ft x 3ft on the table. All our battles have been played on tables between 4 and 6 foot wide, generally the smaller size if it's only 1 corps per side.

I hope that answers all the questions. Shout if there are any more. I'm happy to share my experience. I talk to the players a lot and together we try and improve the campaign mechanics as we go. The key is for the umpire to keep the mechanics simple so that there's very little admin otherwise you won't sustain it. It literally takes me 30 mins a week to get the orders, move the pins on the map and email the players their latest positions,etc. To be honest the blog that I write is the biggest burden that I started in a burst of enthusiasm when I was on holiday and had time. It's not needed for running the campaign though.
dvorkin

Post by dvorkin »

Thanks Richard, it gives us a good vision how to manage this campaign. I have to discuss now with Jacques this problematic about ODB if we do like you or we go deep in shit to start with real corps that probably give a specific challenge for players and hard work for us.
Concerning attrition I think your approach is the most suitable.
BTW I see the map on your blog, is it possible to get in higger resoluton if yes I will send you my personal email to get it.
I will also inform you about our choice or idea before we start our campaign and all others advices are welcome.
richafricanus

Post by richafricanus »

deadtorius
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by deadtorius »

Rich, thanks for keeping the blog up even though its the hardest part of your campaign, I really do enjoy reading your reports. Makes me wish we had some more local Nappy players about where we are.
richafricanus

Post by richafricanus »

Thanks for the encouragement but of course now I feel obliged to keep feeding the beast! :(
richafricanus

Post by richafricanus »

The news is that the Austrians have suffered a major defeat with Richard & Dave’s combined corps going down to a major defeat against John and his 2 sub generals, Adrian and Scott.

In terms of the rules, the net effect of this is that the Austrian King now sues for peace which means 2 of the 3 major Allied powers have surrendered. In terms of the French victory conditions, this means the French win the campaign!

Well done to John and his Marshals, ably assisted by Mark in the 1st half of the campaign.

See the battle report from today's fight here:
http://1813campaignloa.blogspot.com.au/ ... phant.html

I am conscious that we have some new players on board, some who have only made one move, so we are keen to keep a campaign going for as many players as want to participate. So watch out for a new campaign soon.

In the meantime, thanks to everyone who played in, or followed the campaign. I’ve really enjoyed umpiring it, especially since it’s been played in such good spirit, and everyone has been mostly diligent in getting their orders in on time, in some form or other. Encouragement from members on the forum has also been great.

Cheers
Richard
Engmarkinus2
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by Engmarkinus2 »

Hello

We have a small group just starting to play FOGN. The campaign idea to get people interested
looks great. I have the Struggle of Nations game (fantastic map!)
How did you number the hexes?
Also, when you took attrition losses as a percentage, did you tend to take losses from the lowest
morale troops first or in proportion?

Thank you for your attention.
Mark Cowley
richafricanus

Post by richafricanus »

Hi Mark, sorry for the slow response. John Shaw numbered the hexes for me using some or other computer programme. Maybe he can comment. Ito losses, to keep it simple I just allowed players to revise their lists to the lower points. I seldom specified where the losses were from unless this was obvious from the situation - like after a battle where the cavalry had done most of the fighting. Good luck with the campaign.

Return to “Campaigns”