Kur-Hessian Artillery

Moderators: terrys, hammy, Blathergut, Slitherine Core

shadowdragon
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Kur-Hessian Artillery

Post by shadowdragon »

The Kur-Hessian Legion was formed in 1809 by the Austrians from ex-Hesse Kassel troops. It's interesting because they more or less are in Austrian uniforms (minor differences are irrelevant at 15mm) but with different colours so they add interest to an 1809 Austrian army. I've got reasonable info on the guard grenadier and light infantry battalions as well as the hussars and dragoons but for the artillery I only have coat and facing colours but not what headgear they wore. Options are 1809 Austrian shako, Austrian artillery bicorne or perhaps something more like the 1806 Prussian artillery bicorne. Since Austria provided the kit I'm tempted to use AB Austrian artillery crew but I would think the green leaves would need to be reshaped into pompoms. Any ideas?
deadtorius
Field Marshal - Me 410A
Field Marshal - Me 410A

Re: Kur-Hessian Artillery

Post by deadtorius »

Tried checking in Uniforms of the world by Knotel, Knotel and Sieg, sounds like a law firm doesnt it, under Hesse Kassel it mentions shako as head gear for artillery. No mention of foreign units under Austria so if Austria did uniform them I say go with the standard head gear of the day. You dont think they would have kept the leaves, they are "Austrian" now after all.
shadowdragon

Re: Kur-Hessian Artillery

Post by shadowdragon »

This is from Digby Smith:

http://www.napoleon-series.org/cgi-bin/ ... d;id=94852

I think I'll go with the Austrian shako (rear peak). The AB Netherlands foot artillery seem reasonably close. Maybe just a question of leaving the figures as is if trousers are okay or modifying them so they're wearing gaiters.

Return to “Modelling/Gallery/Uniforms Questions”