25/28mm RHA limbered artillery

Moderators: terrys, hammy, Blathergut, Slitherine Core

MDH
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

25/28mm RHA limbered artillery

Post by MDH »

Has anyone who uses 25/28 mm come across provider who makes a version of an RHA limber galloping or is at least moving at some speed in some way ? All those I have looked at on the web ( Perry, Elite, Bicorne(Connoiseur ) , Front Rank etc etc ...however well sculpted have versions with the horses stationary.
deadtorius
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Re: 25/28mm RHA limbered artillery

Post by deadtorius »

Could you switch out some cavalry horses, which are normally sculpted moving, for your limber horses? Then you could mount your cavalry troopers on stationary horses and give them the not so active arms.
Only other thing I can think of, but would not recommend figures, is looking at Old Glory. Lousy sculpts and I found their "25mm" guns way undersized to their own figures so ended up going with Perry instead. Personally I don't like them but its a thought as they seem to reuse their horses for so many other packs. Kind of surprising no one sculpts them in motion though.
MDH
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Re: 25/28mm RHA limbered artillery

Post by MDH »

deadtorius wrote:Could you switch out some cavalry horses, which are normally sculpted moving, for your limber horses? Then you could mount your cavalry troopers on stationary horses and give them the not so active arms.
Only other thing I can think of, but would not recommend figures, is looking at Old Glory. Lousy sculpts and I found their "25mm" guns way undersized to their own figures so ended up going with Perry instead. Personally I don't like them but its a thought as they seem to reuse their horses for so many other packs. Kind of surprising no one sculpts them in motion though.

I do have old Hinchliffe 1970's 25mm galloping limber horses but of course the tackle is all wrong being French for all that I have used them for Prussian and Russian limbers by the same maker . And they are all in use. But converting to British is stretch too far in my view and I have no RHA outriders that will fit on those horses- many riders these days are modelled with the horse furniture on.

And unlike my old plastic adaptation skills my metal modelling skills are seriously underdeveloped! :roll:

I guess I want my " cake and ha'penny" - nice action and movement qualities as well as superb accurate modelling. Last year we went to the last of the Military Tournaments at Earls' Court and the ride of the King's Troop was as informative as it was thrilling showing how the riders sit and act when at the gallop. Having had an exchange with Alan Perry I have determined they have no plans to do a galloping RHA version any tome soon so will " make do" :lol: with theirs . The others of theirs I have- French, Russian, Prussian are very good and I regard Perry as the best makers of 25/28mm Napoleonics in the business just now . Calpe are pretty good too but the metal is a bit softer eg the bayonets swords and musket are a bit " bandy" and the range is limited .

All this is driven by my decision to go for full conversion of all my 28mm for FOG(N) ( 15mm was already).This because I have at last re-met a very old chum who really likes FoG(N) and he is happy to come over and game on a big table- he makes his own superb 1790's 15mm French so E&E 1790-1800 is a big feature for us but with all those 28mm of mine ToN and the Peninsula is also opened up for us . ( Cheers Alan if you are reading this!)

But this means converting a substantial number of 4.5cm wide bases ( 3x2 in figs) to 6cm ( 4x2) .My Austrians, Russians , Later Russians and most of my Brits were already but not the French and most of their allies. Its a big job- thousands literally to rebase ( so buy shares in glue, card and basing materials :lol: . I find the compromise of a mixed basing really prevents me getting the right feel for it all.

This has a subsidiary effect of wanting to have properly and consistently based Commanders, markers, attachments et al. And actually enough limbers too!

I agree about OG 25mm - very brittle modelling of swords and bayonets, the odd misshapen horses and some odd poses.

Return to “Modelling/Gallery/Uniforms Questions”