First V3 Game

General discussion forum for anything related to Field of Glory Ancients & Medieval.

Moderators: philqw78, terrys, hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Design, Field of Glory Moderators

petedalby
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E

Re: First V3 Game

Post by petedalby »

Because if you move the Chinese into charge range you cannot put down the PO in that turn so will be immediately charged without them.
The mounted just need to sit and wait until you do. Then leave something within 6
But why do the Chinese need to move? They are perfectly safe at 5+ MU and can shoot with impunity.
Am I the only one who plays this game
Clearly not.
Pete
philqw78
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus

Post by philqw78 »

Because at long range the cavalry can be shot at with impunity. The Chinese are fixed in place and haven't yet placed their PO. The cavalry do not need to move into charge reach, they need to find something else to attack, or keep that 1 bg scared
Unless your cavalry has a death wish it does not move into charge range of foot with PO
phil
putting the arg into argumentative, except for the lists I check where there is no argument!
grahambriggs

Post by grahambriggs »

With the PO vs charging mounted there was a tendency for parts of the battlefield to freeze - either cavalry just sitting outside charge range or just within (charge if the PO don't go down. If the PO do deploy, pass a test not to charge and turn 180). And then it was a question of what happened elsewhere. With pole arms but no PO, the battlefield is unlikely to freeze in the same way.

One issue for the armoured pole arm foot is that they are expensive, as were the HW types before them (though they don't need the PO now). 19 points a file isn't particularly cheap. If you want them in 8s that's 76 points a BG. In 6s they are 57 but can be a bit vulnerable to shooting. It's not really wide enough as an army, so most effective strategies seem to revolve around concentrating the army once the fighting starts.

I suspect they'll have the edge on contemporary horse nomads - protected bow sword types (but then again they did in version 2) unless the nomads can use their manoeuver to get round flanks while slowly giving ground in front of the Chinese.

I think in open play there will be more armies taken to competitions that will be good against them than was the case in v2. Impact foot are a lot better against other foot in general, so these will be more common. And they've never been that great at actually fighting the more hard core heavy foot, which are a bit quicker now. And apart from the armoured medium foot the rest of the army (such as it is) doesn't add much. So it's a bit of a monoculture army, which are always prone to a few bad match ups.
philqw78

Post by philqw78 »

And Polearms and PO mean mounted double minus at impact. Lucky they don't have many light foot
But they don't need PO now
IMO

Though I do suppose Grahams explanation above about impact foot being better predators is the best mitigation I have heard. Their other common enemy, themselves, can have some. Though I think Terry should have invented impact foot crossbow*
phil
putting the arg into argumentative, except for the lists I check where there is no argument!
dave_r
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by dave_r »

Well my hittite with heavy chariots got absolutely slaughtered last night by protected polearm MF, with bow in the second rank. One of the Korean mobs.

They are cheap and can cover the table and don't appear to have any predators.
Evaluator of Supremacy
philqw78

Post by philqw78 »

Didn't think there were any Koreans in the new lists
phil
grahambriggs

Post by grahambriggs »

philqw78 wrote:And Polearms and PO mean mounted double minus at impact. Lucky they don't have many light foot
But they don't need PO now
IMO

Though I do suppose Grahams explanation above about impact foot being better predators is the best mitigation I have heard. Their other common enemy, themselves, can have some. Though I think Terry should have invented impact foot crossbow*
They might be a bit vulnerable to superior impact foot heavy weapon in particular. Or good old fashioned Norse Irish MF Heavy weapon at 6 points a base.
philqw78

Post by philqw78 »

grahambriggs wrote:They might be a bit vulnerable to superior impact foot heavy weapon in particular.
Don't set me off about super troops again Graham
phil
grahambriggs

Post by grahambriggs »

dave_r wrote:Well my hittite with heavy chariots got absolutely slaughtered last night by protected polearm MF, with bow in the second rank. One of the Korean mobs.

More warband victims.
grahambriggs

Post by grahambriggs »

philqw78 wrote:
grahambriggs wrote:They might be a bit vulnerable to superior impact foot heavy weapon in particular.
Don't set me off about super troops again Graham
You're normally easier to wind up than that.
dave_r
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by dave_r »

grahambriggs wrote:
dave_r wrote:Well my hittite with heavy chariots got absolutely slaughtered last night by protected polearm MF, with bow in the second rank. One of the Korean mobs.

More warband victims.
Warband are exactly the same factors against them as the chariots were.
Evaluator of Supremacy
grahambriggs

Post by grahambriggs »

dave_r wrote:
grahambriggs wrote:

More warband victims.
Warband are exactly the same factors against them as the chariots were.
It's not my problem if you can't roll dice for toffee. The problem for the chariots is they really need to win the impact as they are in fragile units and will break off and get shot down. The warband ought to edge the impact (say 9 dice at 4s rerolling 1s vs 12 at 5s) but if they don't they have even chance in melee.
grahambriggs

Post by grahambriggs »

How did the Han Chinese fare at the weekend?
philqw78

Post by philqw78 »

I designed an army to fight them and beat the two I fought. Unfortunately lost to the other armies I met.
Dave's Warring States only lost to Sea People and he came second
phil
grahambriggs

Post by grahambriggs »

Yes I can imagine Sea People wasn't the easiest match up
dave_r
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by dave_r »

grahambriggs wrote:Yes I can imagine Sea People wasn't the easiest match up
I threw bad dice in that match. One impact in particular I threw 24 dice and got three hits.

I lost the game because a unit on evens, lost the melee badly and double dropped. The unit pursued into a rear support cavalry unit and broke them in one turn as well. They then pursued into the mob and broke them in one turn (despite them having an IC).

I still killed 60% of the sea people's (7 / 12).

Han is very powerful.
Evaluator of Supremacy
petedalby

Post by petedalby »

The Han was always a good army and will continue to be so - but it's not unbeatable.

Of the 4 Han armies fielded in Winchester they placed 2nd, 8th, 17th & 18th out of 24.

Looking forward to identifying the next unbeatable super army. I suspect that may be Dacians or Vikings......
Pete
nikgaukroger
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by nikgaukroger »

Good player does well with an army, others not so well. Absolute shocker ... :twisted:
Nik Gaukroger

"Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he will tell you.
If he does not, why humiliate him?" - Canon Sydney Smith

nikgaukroger@blueyonder.co.uk
philqw78

Post by philqw78 »

petedalby wrote:The Han was always a good army and will continue to be so - but it's not unbeatable.

Of the 4 Han armies fielded in Winchester they placed 2nd, 8th, 17th & 18th out of 24.

Looking forward to identifying the next unbeatable super army. I suspect that may be Dacians or Vikings......
The old good army is now slightly better. My 'what can I use to beat Han' army beat 8th and 18th, never met 17th or 2nd
phil
grahambriggs

Post by grahambriggs »

dave_r wrote:
grahambriggs wrote:Yes I can imagine Sea People wasn't the easiest match up
blah blah blah

I lost

blah blah blah

Return to “Field of Glory : Ancient & Medieval Era 3000 BC-1500 AD : General Discussion”