Field of Glory Tactical Tips Collection

General discussion forum for anything related to Field of Glory Ancients & Medieval.

Moderators: philqw78, terrys, hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Design, Field of Glory Moderators

Claudius
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Claudius »

MikeK,
Thanks for an excellent compilation of tips and guidelines.
As it is now 12 Oct 08, are there any revisions to this 10 Jul 08 version?
Cheers!

Ne bibere venenum in auro!
Mahatma
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by Mahatma »

Are you Sun Tzu reincarnated?
Claudius
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Claudius »

No - Tiberius Claudius Caesar Augustus Germanicus or simply Claudius.
I was considered a rather unlikely man to become emperor, but despite my lack of political experience, I proved to be an able administrator and a great builder of public works. My reign saw an expansion of the empire, and OBTW the conquest of Britain.
So I'll take the Roman side when my Principate Romans meet the Ancient British.
Cheers!

Ne bibere venenum in auro!
jhs

Post by jhs »

Thanks very much for this, it is extremely helpful. I hope there will be more!

Jim.
SirGarnet
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Post by SirGarnet »

I'm glad you find this as useful as I do as a reminder. I started it for my reference in understanding the game and my primary intention is for this to help those fresh players who don't mind a read to get up to speed.

I'm not taking credit for the content. Part of it is original with me but the bulk of it is an edited and condensed digest of comments and lessons from posts here and elsewhere, so all wisdom/comments/question/ideas in addition are welcome.

I read every English language post in the FOG forums starting with the earliest, though I may have missed some things and I've been away a while so need some vacation time to methodically to catch up. I will update this further with added content, corrections and revisions.

Agreed that a hyperlinked FOG Wiki would be very useful, but not something I could tackle and should probably be sponsored by The Management.
Malidor
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Malidor »

Nice!
daleivan
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by daleivan »

Mike,

I really find these tips very helpful, and look forward to future additions, especially on light horse tactics :)

Thanks again,

Dale
SirGarnet

Post by SirGarnet »

daleivan wrote:Mike,

I really find these tips very helpful, and look forward to future additions, especially on light horse tactics :)

Thanks again,

Dale
I'm glad you find them useful. I do as well.

All the existing sections have been extensively revised and new content added - there are too many changes to mark each one.

Part 10 on Light Horse/Shooty Cavalry is close to ready. I'm trying to reduce Part 12 to something compact and easily intelligible without resorting to graphics (that exceeds my skill level).

Cheers,

Mike
Redpossum
Brigadier-General - 8.8 cm Pak 43/41
Brigadier-General - 8.8 cm Pak 43/41

Post by Redpossum »

Good work, Mike.

Thank you.
SirGarnet

Post by SirGarnet »

Part 10 on LH/Shooty Cav now done and added above. :D
SirGarnet

Post by SirGarnet »

The only substantive change since adding Part 10 is completion of Tip 952 on Battle Wagons, which now should serve as a fairly complete guide on BWGs.

April 2: Added simple answer to "Difficult Forward Moves" confusion to 224.
hasdrubal
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by hasdrubal »

As a new player to this system, I've found this information to be invaluable, especially as I'm trying to teach my sons the rudiments of wargaming as well as learn myself! Thanks again.
DaiSho
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Re: Part 5 Commanders

Post by DaiSho »

MikeK wrote:PART 5 – COMMANDERS
v2009.0308

501. Good use of Commanders can decide a battle. They are a key part of reinforcing success and in turning the tide where things look bad. Commanders do 4 things:
I think one thing you missed that commanders can do is:

5. Cause a cohesion test if they die in combat.

It is a small thing, but something to consider when throwing him into the front rank. An otherwise successful combat, where you completely dominate the biffo can go totally the other way very very quickly by failing a cohesion test when the enemy lose a combat but manage to get 2 hits and roll a 12! I've done it 3 times so far.

I have actually managed to kill a general and cause one unit to go fragmented and two other units to go disrupted. Given that this was Pike vs Offensive Spear, it had a massive effect as I suddenly went from disadvantaged to advantaged along the entire line - all from rolling one pair of box cars.

Ian
SirGarnet

Post by SirGarnet »

Commander fatalities are mentioned and fighting is discussed in 530, but I think you are right that it is a downside that deserves to be highlighted in the bullet summary and have added to the change list. Something like Commanders do 4 good things and one bad one, and a 5th bullet to cover it.
DaiSho

Post by DaiSho »

MikeK wrote:Commander fatalities are mentioned and fighting is discussed in 530, but I think you are right that it is a downside that deserves to be highlighted in the bullet summary and have added to the change list. Something like Commanders do 4 good things and one bad one, and a 5th bullet to cover it.
Yes, I appreciate it is covered, but as you say things they can do are good AND bad :), and if you don't consider it, bad can be VERY bad - especially for a new player (which this list is really intended for) :).

Ian
JCgoose
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by JCgoose »

Cheer for this its very good :)
If I ever get unsure of my plan I just think to myself...DENNY CRANE!

Return to “Field of Glory : Ancient & Medieval Era 3000 BC-1500 AD : General Discussion”