Restrictions on Copying Field of Glory

General discussion forum for anything related to Field of Glory Ancients & Medieval.

Moderators: philqw78, terrys, hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Design, Field of Glory Moderators

lonehorseman
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by lonehorseman »

Ok cool, just wanted to know. I have had new guys use that as a decision maker between the two rules.
15mm: Painted: Late Republican Roman
Medieval Welsh
WIP: Ivan the Terrible's Russians
Later Ottoman Turkish
tadamson

Post by tadamson »

lonehorseman wrote:Hey.

Copying FoG is a nono I understand but I thought seeing as there are people here who understand the lagality of the issue I might as well ask this question.

The major opposition to FoG in South Africa argues that the books are too expensive (yet I own 4 list books so far and the rules) and that rules and lists should be free. They build on this arguement as a base to photocopy/ electronically store DBM which they rate is legal as;
a) 3.1 was never published
b) the DBM army list books are out of print (so can apparently be copied and distributed as long as it is for free).

Is this correct? I am sure that the copyright is still held by Mr Barker and RBS. I am also aware that the books are still available from certain vendors and as such it cannot be argued that they are not available to the public.

Feedback would be appreciated

D
And as it's not been specifically mentioned....

Copying and distributing the DBM list books is a flagrant breach of copyright. Absolute no-no, even in South Africa.
lonehorseman

Post by lonehorseman »

I know...thats what I keep saying but people always have an argument so I thought I would get them something they cannot fight. This allows me to throw a spanner in their works with a ruleset that is easily available and for which you pay a reasonable price (for a colour copy) as opposed to a ruleset that is not in colour, not as much fun and hardr to get hold of
15mm: Painted: Late Republican Roman
Medieval Welsh
WIP: Ivan the Terrible's Russians
Later Ottoman Turkish
tadamson

Post by tadamson »

lonehorseman wrote:I know...thats what I keep saying but people always have an argument so I thought I would get them something they cannot fight. This allows me to throw a spanner in their works with a ruleset that is easily available and for which you pay a reasonable price (for a colour copy) as opposed to a ruleset that is not in colour, not as much fun and hardr to get hold of
Here is, one of many, guides to the South African Copyright Act. http://www.svw.co.za/copyright.html

Protection is slightly lower in SA as it expires 50 years after first publication. :-)
dreiling
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by dreiling »

Intellectual property is the bread and butter for any company these days.
Therefore any item that is printed, published, etc. should not be copied.
I see under the resources section of the Field of Glory web-site several
summaries/charts that cover the needs of the players. This should be sufficient.
Never have so many bowmen shot so many arrows and done so little damage!
zoltan
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Re: Restrictions on Copying Field of Glory

Post by zoltan »

To keep my baggage weight down during my month holiday in UK/Europe I don't intend to bring my FoG rulebook. However I did intend to bring a single photocopy of the turn sequence page for my personal use during Britcon and ITC. Is this acceptable practice?
shadowdragon
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Post by shadowdragon »

zoltan wrote:To keep my baggage weight down during my month holiday in UK/Europe I don't intend to bring my FoG rulebook. However I did intend to bring a single photocopy of the turn sequence page for my personal use during Britcon and ITC. Is this acceptable practice?
It's easy enough to look up "fair use" with respect to copyright on internet. There is a substantial difference between copying a part of a book you bought for your own personal use (e.g., the turn sequence page) and copying and distributing to others. Surely anyone that's able to learn FoG rules should be able to comprehend both the moral and legal difference. Although the legality does vary by country.

But just in case:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright

ETA: I realise you probably know all this. My comments are more frustration with the "black and white" direction these discussions seem to go.
zoltan
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by zoltan »

I was hoping for a response from JD. :|
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

A photocopy of a page from the rules for quick reference for personal use is fine of course.
Lycanthropic
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by Lycanthropic »

As I live in New Zealand, the birthplace of awesome. Can I buy the digital version now?
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

Not yet - still in submission with apple and preparing final gold masters here.
philqw78
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus

Post by philqw78 »

Lycanthropic wrote:As I live in New Zealand, the birthplace of awesome. ....
Another nail in the coffin of the English language then
phil
putting the arg into argumentative, except for the lists I check where there is no argument!

Return to “Field of Glory : Ancient & Medieval Era 3000 BC-1500 AD : General Discussion”