ARMY LIST CALCULATOR

General discussion forum for anything related to Field of Glory Ancients & Medieval.

Moderators: philqw78, terrys, hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Design, Field of Glory Moderators

philqw78
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus

Post by philqw78 »

MikeK wrote:Moving entries and resorting them according to deployment order is a little problematic, but maybe that is unavoidable.
For those not up to speed with excel:

Highlight the titles line, the one with OOM, troops, Type in, then: Data; Filter; Autofilter. This will put drop downs at the top of each column in the table. On the OOM column select the dropdown, scroll to top and select sort ascending. Puts them in OOM.

To put a separator for deployment I just format the cells with an extra thick black line at the bottom of each quarter. This does not move when the OOM is sorted.
phil
putting the arg into argumentative, except for the lists I check where there is no argument!
Ghaznavid
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by Ghaznavid »

Short note: Oliviers spreadsheet has been added to the resource section on the FoG-Website: http://www.fieldofglory.com/onthefieldofglory.php
Karsten

~ We are not surrounded, we are merely in a target rich environment. ~
deeter
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by deeter »

Phil,

I think I've done as you said, but get "merged cells must be indetically sized." Any ideas?

Deeter
philqw78

Post by philqw78 »

deeter wrote:Phil,

I think I've done as you said, but get "merged cells must be indetically sized." Any ideas?

Deeter
It may be a different version. Autofilter for data is what you need for the ascending sort. If the autofilter has a merged cell in there it will not sort. So, off the top of my head as I do not have excel at home.
Highlight the whole table from the line with OOM, troop type, etc, down to the bottom of where you can place troop descriptions and include the cells with calculations to the right.
The pink line on here where it says error is the top line to select then down to the last line of troops and all the way to the right.. (Sorry Olivier I opened it in OO and played with the locked sheets)
Then ensure none of these cells are merged. To do this right click, format cells, alignment tab, unclick the merge cells tick box, this will be filled if any cells are merged, ticked if all cells are merged, you need it empty. Then from the menu bar, data, filter, autofilter. This will then hopefully put the drop down arrows in the line at the top of the cells you have selected.

Although none of this matters with the new version on the link above as it has autofilter already. Which is easier than this.
phil
putting the arg into argumentative, except for the lists I check where there is no argument!
rich
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by rich »

Ghaznavid wrote:Short note: Oliviers spreadsheet has been added to the resource section on the FoG-Website: http://www.fieldofglory.com/onthefieldofglory.php
It may be an idea to include the version number.
Sometimes the latest version is not always obvious as the design may not change.
rich
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by rich »

MikeK wrote: I also have a second column that identifies which batch each unit is in - 1st 2nd 3 4, but this is pure chrome.

Moving entries and resorting them according to deployment order is a little problematic, but maybe that is unavoidable.
The latest version of Olivier’s spreadsheet has the auto filter already in place so you can sort the BG's by OOM.

Another option to identify the BG Batch is to change the OOM cell's background colour for each group.
1-4 in the OOM cells could be given a background of grey.
2-8 a background of blue or leave white.
And then alternate.....
Then you don’t need another column to highlight the BG Deployment batch.
Blathergut
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by Blathergut »

rich wrote:
MikeK wrote: I also have a second column that identifies which batch each unit is in - 1st 2nd 3 4, but this is pure chrome.

Moving entries and resorting them according to deployment order is a little problematic, but maybe that is unavoidable.
The latest version of Olivier’s spreadsheet has the auto filter already in place so you can sort the BG's by OOM.

Another option to identify the BG Batch is to change the OOM cell's background colour for each group.
1-4 in the OOM cells could be given a background of grey.
2-8 a background of blue or leave white.
And then alternate.....
Then you don’t need another column to highlight the BG Deployment batch.
Ya, I use colour all the time for order of march groupings, or to highlight allied commands, etc.
deeter

Post by deeter »

Thank you phil. That did the trick.

Deeter
rich
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by rich »

For any non Excel people....
An option for anyone who wants to view the whole width of the spreadsheet (Army List) is to use the VIEW custom setting.

Select - VIEW - ZOOM - CUSTOM from the menu.
Set it to about between 63%-65% and you can view the whole width of the army list.

The text does get smaller but I just put my glasses on.
batesmotel
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Open Office sorting?

Post by batesmotel »

I normally have sorted for order of march in older versions of the spreadsheet (in Open Office) by selecting all of the rows containing troops and then sorting these on the OoM column. This still works but the points total isn't handled correctly and I lose points. Anyone know what is the right way to do this so the points calculation will stay correct. (Looks like it is probably due to some hidden/protected columns past the last visible one.) Open Office does not appear to offer sorting as a function in auto-filtering so is different from Excel in this respect and the description of sorting for that as described by Phil.

Thanks,
Chris
CharlesRobinson
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Field Of Glory PC Game

Post by CharlesRobinson »

Just in case you did not notice - Field of Glory PC game is out. It is a lot of fun. It does not have an army buildier yet, but it is rumored that they will be beta testing an army builder around Christmas. You can create your oun scenerios as well.

8)
Derdertkd95
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Derdertkd95 »

Great List

This may sound a litle ignorant, but what are the exact abbreviations the excel uses?

D
carnold1836
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by carnold1836 »

First off, this is a great tool. It really helps me get everything straight in my brain.

Second, a question. Is there a difference in how the drop-down lists for Territory Types and Commander Type are setup compared to the drop-down lists for the rest of the sheet? I only ask because, although the sheet works great in Excel 2007 for windows, on the Mac version of Excel 2008 the Territory types drop down but don't show Tropical or Woodland and the Commander Type doesn't drop down at all.

This isn't meant to be a complaint just curious. I would really love not to have to use my work computer to create my lists.

thanks for all the hard work.
carnold1836

Post by carnold1836 »

carnold1836 wrote:First off, this is a great tool. It really helps me get everything straight in my brain.

Second, a question. Is there a difference in how the drop-down lists for Territory Types and Commander Type are setup compared to the drop-down lists for the rest of the sheet? I only ask because, although the sheet works great in Excel 2007 for windows, on the Mac version of Excel 2008 the Territory types drop down but don't show Tropical or Woodland and the Commander Type doesn't drop down at all.

This isn't meant to be a complaint just curious. I would really love not to have to use my work computer to create my lists.

thanks for all the hard work.
Open Office for Mac works perfectly. Odd how the open source product works better reading the .xls file then the companies own product.

Meh, go figure.

See you on the battle field.
spikemesq
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by spikemesq »

I have tried to skin this cat a couple ways with no luck.

I'd like to keep multiple lists in the same xl file and/or save a copy as a basic template (e.g., core info completed, entries for required troops filled out, etc.).

Tried copying the list sheet to a second tab - all formulas go wacko.

Tried saving a copy of a full list and then stripping out entries to revise list - formulas go nutty again.

I can save a functional copy of a list without troops to keep contact info, army name, date, terrain. Anything that recycles troop entries, however, snags.

Why must I fail so hard?

Spike
philqw78

Post by philqw78 »

I will revisit this tomorrow when I can use excel, but.

To create a new sheet.
1. Select all the cells on the original that are visible
2. Go to new sheet A1 and paste special:
a. Column widths
b. Fromulas
c. Formats

That should work. But I will give it a go tomorrow if you haven't replied by then.

If saving a copy and the formulas go mental select a whole row that works, go to the bottom corner of the far right cell and using the + click and drag that row over the broken ones.
phil
allnud
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by allnud »

do you have to be a member of the site to get the calculator?

I tried to get to the url and the website would not come up...

what am i missing?
olivier
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by olivier »

Sadly, the french FOG site has closed :(

but you can download the last version (I hope 8) ) at:

http://www.fieldofglory.com/file/FOG_Ar ... erator.xls
Jilu

Post by Jilu »

olivier wrote:Sadly, the french FOG site has closed :(

but you can download the last version (I hope 8) ) at:

http://www.fieldofglory.com/file/FOG_Ar ... erator.xls
ouf!

merci olivier
Zephyr40k
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Re: ARMY LIST CALCULATOR

Post by Zephyr40k »

This looks quite useful. However when I choose a Book name, I get a "N/A" error appearing in the "List Name" field. Anyone else getting this?

Return to “Field of Glory : Ancient & Medieval Era 3000 BC-1500 AD : General Discussion”