Field of Glory Reader 2.0.3 available!

General discussion forum for anything related to Field of Glory Ancients & Medieval.

Moderators: philqw78, terrys, hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Design, Field of Glory Moderators

IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Field of Glory Reader 2.0.3 available!

Post by IainMcNeil »

Hi guys

we have found and fixed a series of bugs that prevented downloading or off line reading and have made these available for download.

PC version can be downloaded from:
http://www.slitherine.com/files/fog/rea ... v2.0.3.msi

Mac version can be downloaded from:
http://www.slitherine.com/files/fog/rea ... v2.0.3.dmg

If you have any new problems just let us know.
shadowdragon
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Re: Field of Glory Reader 2.0.3 available!

Post by shadowdragon »

So this is no longer a beta version but an official release?

My reader works but not off-line, so I gather I should delete the books (both the rules and Rise of Rome) and reader and then download the new reader and books I purchase?
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

All you need to do is uninstall your current reader and install this one. You should not need to download the files again.
bahdahbum
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by bahdahbum »

I got one question : if I buy the PC version , can it be installed on a separate hard disk or latter reinstalled freely on a new computer ?

Computer sometimes fail and you sometimes loose your datas ....
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

Yes we do not limit the number of installs in any way with any of our products. You'll need an internet connection to download the latest version of the rules but that's all. Save the installer somewhere for later, or if you lose it we will issue you a new download - just contact support@slitherine.co.uk with your order info.
LeslieMitchell
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by LeslieMitchell »

Will the e-reader work on Windows 8 and Windows 8 (Phone)?
madaxeman
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E

Post by madaxeman »

LeslieMitchell wrote:Will the e-reader work on Windows 8 and Windows 8 (Phone)?
Other threads have said that the text is not really that legible even on an ipad-mini-sized display, so unless it gets rebuilt with a "zoom" function or as a text-based document it's likley to be completely impossible to read on a Windows phone.
http://www.madaxeman.com
Holiday in Devon? Try https://www.thecaptainscottagebrixham.com
batesmotel
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by batesmotel »

madaxeman wrote:
LeslieMitchell wrote:Will the e-reader work on Windows 8 and Windows 8 (Phone)?
Other threads have said that the text is not really that legible even on an ipad-mini-sized display, so unless it gets rebuilt with a "zoom" function or as a text-based document it's likley to be completely impossible to read on a Windows phone.
I know the version of Windows 8 RT for the Surface will not run legacy Windows programs and I suspect the phone version will not either so you're probably out of luck. Your best bet is to install remote access/remote control software to allow your phone to access your PC and then run the reader on your PC. (Previous versions of Windows had Remote Desktop for this type of access included with the OS so it may even be included with your phone version of Windows 8 as well. If not, there are likely to be VNC versions of remote access based software that you can use. I've done this with my android table and this allows the Android zoom to work with the existing reader so you should be able to read the rules even if you can't see a full page at a time. Works fine with my 7" tablet and I would think it should be usable on your phone.

Chris
....where life is beautiful all the time
zoltan
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by zoltan »

I've been using the rules on my (brand new) MacBook Pro since November and to be honest its a very frustrating experience. So I do not recommend this option to others.

Main issues are:

1. The page does not fit neatly into the MacBook. Having to scroll down to see the bottom of the page is very slow, and 'sticky' with a noticeable lag. Using the up/down arrows is the most effective way to navigate but its easy to overshoot onto the next page. It has quite a clumsy feel, for example when simply trying to find the Index "I". Unlike the paper version (where you can flip pages very quickly) moving around the Mac version is very lethargic.

2. The pages seem jammed up against the left hand side of the screen. The numeric list of page numbers for each section does not automatically appear so there's extra 'navigation' required just to find the list.

3. Skipping forwards/backwards between new sections is quite fast but then moving down/up within a section is frustrating (see point 1).

4. The inability to hold two separate areas open (by inserting fingers between pages) in order to quickly flick backwards/forwards between them to understand rules inter-relationships is a general limitation of the digital version compared with the paper version; this is compounded by slow Mac navigation.

5. Sometimes when I load the reader, it appears to hang - I'm not sure if this is establishing an internet connection to check for any updates?

As many of the rule changes are 'buried' within the body of the text its necessary to actually read the rules thoroughly (with v1 familiarity over time generally allowed games to be played without reference to the rule book). However, its really quite impractical to have your MacBook on the wargames table and to be lumbering through trying to find the relevant section and grappling with the frustrating navigation.

Interested in the thoughts of others (I seem to be the only MacBook user posting).
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

Have you updated to the latest version of the reader as one tap on the down key should take you to the bottom of the page making it easier to use. The higher the resolution you run at the better. A Mac book should be able to run at a pretty high res and should, be able to get most if not all of the page on screen at one time.
zoltan
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by zoltan »

IainMcNeil wrote:Have you updated to the latest version of the reader as one tap on the down key should take you to the bottom of the page making it easier to use. The higher the resolution you run at the better. A Mac book should be able to run at a pretty high res and should, be able to get most if not all of the page on screen at one time.
Yep 2.0.3. It takes 7 taps of the down arrow to reach the bottom of the page; the 8th tap pushes it over to the next page. Do yo know how I can take a screen shot on a MacBook to post on the forum so you can see what a page looks like on screen?
peterrjohnston
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by peterrjohnston »

zoltan wrote:Do yo know how I can take a screen shot on a MacBook to post on the forum so you can see what a page looks like on screen?
For a full-screen screenshot, use ⌘-⇧-3

For a screenshot of a window, use ⌘-⇧-4, press spacebar to start, move to the window and click. Press esc if you want to stop.

The screenshots will be on your desktop. Prepend CTRL to the the above, eg ^-⌘-⇧-3, to put the image on the clipboard.
zoltan
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by zoltan »

peterrjohnston wrote:
zoltan wrote:Do yo know how I can take a screen shot on a MacBook to post on the forum so you can see what a page looks like on screen?
For a full-screen screenshot, use ⌘-⇧-3

For a screenshot of a window, use ⌘-⇧-4, press spacebar to start, move to the window and click. Press esc if you want to stop.

The screenshots will be on your desktop. Prepend CTRL to the the above, eg ^-⌘-⇧-3, to put the image on the clipboard.
Thanks - and how do I paste from the clipboard into a post?
kevinj
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by kevinj »

You'll need to save the image as a file and load it into a picture sharing site (like Photobucket) and link to it as if it were a photo.
zoltan
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by zoltan »

kevinj wrote:You'll need to save the image as a file and load it into a picture sharing site (like Photobucket) and link to it as if it were a photo.
Can't find the photo upload instructions - do you know where they are on the forum please?
quackstheking
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by quackstheking »

zoltan
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by zoltan »

quackstheking wrote:Try here

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=5426
Thanks - the screenshot is saved on my desktop as a .png file. I am having trouble editing it in photo bucket. Is this file extension ok?
peterrjohnston
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by peterrjohnston »

If photo bucket doesn't like png files, open in Preview and do "File -> Export...", then select JPEG as the format. You might need to uncheck "hide extension".
zoltan
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by zoltan »

OK I managed to save it as a jpeg and here's what I have:
http://s204.beta.photobucket.com/user/S ... sort=3&o=0
Have tried Img and URL, deleting bits but still can't get it to preview as an image.

Further thoughts please?

Thanks
zoltan
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by zoltan »

Hey, just notice a photobucket menu which contained the "IMG" code and presto!

So this is the extent of the page I see on my MacBook Pro. It takes 7 clicks of the down arrow to reach the bottom of the page. The eighth click tips it over to the next page.

Return to “Field of Glory : Ancient & Medieval Era 3000 BC-1500 AD : General Discussion”