regimental guns

Moderators: hammy, Blathergut, terrys, Slitherine Core

bahdahbum
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

regimental guns

Post by bahdahbum » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:01 pm

For the campaign of russia, Napoléon reintroduced regimental guns . For the battle of borodino, it seems a lot of the french-allied army still had those guns. So nearly all infantry brigades might have an artillery attachment .

I speak of an historical ORBAT, not a theoretical one .

What would your input be ?

BrettPT
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Re: regimental guns

Post by BrettPT » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:38 am

I think that artillery attachments represent complete batteries of divisional field artillery allocated to act in direct support of other units (as opposed to massed position batteries which artillery units represent). They are called 'support batteries' in the rules.

Battalion guns to my knowledge were generally a couple of pieces permanently incorporated into an infantry regiment, so represented in the game as part of the 3 medium range dice, rather than an attachment.

Pages 87-89 of the rules sets this out.

Cheers
Brett

bahdahbum

Re: regimental guns

Post by bahdahbum » Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:10 pm

I understand your line of thinking. At borodino, the french had quite a lot of regimental guns, that's why I submitted he subject . In our historical games, as I usually work out the ORBAT, my policy was :if you have a 4-6 guns battery in a division, one of the units would have a gun attachment . If one of the regiment would be light and the others line and the line regiment is small, i would create a unit with a SK attachment to represent the added firepower of the light infantry . it works rather well .

Now, saying that regimental guns would enable a "reformed status" and having the ability to fire 3 dice is another dangerous subject because some unreformed armies did have regimental guns !

Return to “Army Design”