Moderators: philqw78, terrys, hammy, Blathergut, Slitherine Core

ravenflight
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Emperors & Eagles - French Allied Contingents

Post by ravenflight »

Hi All,

How do you read:

*All units of the same nationality MUST be assigned to the same division. If there are three or more units of the same nationality, they MUST be in a division of their own."

Does this mean that they must all be in one division together or that no other nationality can be a part of that division?
martymagnificent
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Re: Emperors & Eagles - French Allied Contingents

Post by martymagnificent »

I would see it as meaning that you can combine the troops of different nationalities in a division as long as you don't have 3 or more units of any of those nationalities in your army. Once you have 3 units they must be in a division of their own.

Martin
MDH
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by MDH »

This is about ensuring that allied units are not split up between different divisions on the one hand and ,on the other, if there are enough to form a division ( 3) then they do so, as they would then have their own commander to lead them.
ravenflight

Post by ravenflight »

Ok, thanks, but neither really answered what I was asking (I don't think).

You have a division of Saxons. You have one regiment of Cuirassiers, one regiment of Hussars and one regiment of foot. So far the division is not legal, because you have to have two regiments of foot in a Division. Can I take. single Regiment of Nassau infantry?

The Saxons are all in one Division (a division of their own) but they are also supported by a regiment of Nassau.

I can see a reading both ways.
Blathergut
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by Blathergut »

I would think you would need another infantry unit of Saxons, but I would suppose it would be in need of a Terry or perhaps Mike interpretation.
MDH
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by MDH »

The question was about Emperors and Eagles - French allied Contingents so the list on pages 102-103 which was the context of my reply certainly not a generic response on the way allies are treated in other lists if anyone thinks that . Any number of mixed divisions can be used so having two Saxon cavalry and one infantry is perfectly ok and within the main restrictions on mixed divisions. Can't see how the single 4 base Nassau unit creates a problem ( as a single unit can only be in one division!) or indeed any pair of Non Spanish, Italian or Bavarians.

This is of course a wholly artificial construct as a Corps and an attempt to construct a field force of Corps strength from what were essentially covering forces and create bit of variety to just French in the 1805-07 main campaigns without creating too much of a bouillabaisse. This list provides an opportunity for folks who don't want to buy and paint whole Corps of some nationalities ( for later lists) to have a only few of them for some colour and variety- most of the lines ( two thirds) are average drilled so there are not many " supertroops". In the main French infantry Corps list we do allow for allied cavalry to be part of a cavalry division formed from that main list .

Maybe I still don't understand the question however :oops:
Blathergut
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by Blathergut »

I suspect a mixed division required two infantry units as a minimum. He therefore needs a 2nd infantry unit in his Saxon mixed division, but doesn't want Saxons. Can he toss in a different nationality infantry unit to make the division legal in terms of the rules and mixed division requirements? Or does this contravene the requirement that Saxons be in 'their own' division, i.e., a division without other nationalities?
MDH
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by MDH »

Blathergut wrote:I suspect a mixed division required two infantry units as a minimum. He therefore needs a 2nd infantry unit in his Saxon mixed division, but doesn't want Saxons. Can he toss in a different nationality infantry unit to make the division legal in terms of the rules and mixed division requirements? Or does this contravene the requirement that Saxons be in 'their own' division, i.e., a division without other nationalities?
Ah now I see the point! Probably we could have made the Saxon maximum 8 bases of average drilled infantry but the maximum is 8 of infantry 4 line and 4 grenadiers anyway so it is possible to have mixed division of 2 +2 if you want so no need to throw in a non Saxon if that is the issue. and a Saxon Div can have non Saxons in this list.

However I would say that in general a list such as this , which is an odd ball, ought to be able to trump the standard rules on division composition IF there is a clash. We doe so for 1792-95 French for example. There are very few like this one. So personally I would accept 2 Saxon cavalry plus one Saxon and one - but only one- A.N other if A.N Other is also average drilled unreformed. All that is different then is the uniform :lol:

BUT as I always say for non tournament games or games of greater than standard size the lists are to be treated an informed and researched guide and the keeping to the proportions and especially the minima , for most of them, are the key issue. Many (most?) of the maxima for better quality or special types like shock cavalry are not absolute when you look at the national armies as a whole at different times. So for example when doing a campaign one needs to know how many were available by type in theatre or in the national army as a whole. Eg in Spain one French Cuirassier regt and that's it - elsewhere up to 14 available at times including the Carabiniers.

This list does however reflect what was made available at that specific time and place .

Lists are a great thing but they do have their limitations and we writers can get a bit tangled up, disappearing up our own historical fundaments trying to square specifics with generics :lol:
ravenflight

Post by ravenflight »

Thanks for your responses.

Return to “Army Design”