AUSTRIAN 1809

Moderators: philqw78, terrys, hammy, Blathergut, Slitherine Core

Douglas
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

AUSTRIAN 1809

Post by Douglas »

Hello,
Planning on a 800 pt. Austrian list. Not sure on what to use from the Reserve list.
Probably be on the defense most of the time so I'm not sure on Grenadiers or Heavy Cav. for one of my divisions.
Any thoughts?
Thanks
Scrumpy
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger

Re: AUSTRIAN 1809

Post by Scrumpy »

I would opt for either the Italy or Bohemia version if I was you, they give you some skirmishers to be able to fire at medium range, otherwise you will be forced to commit to attacking, otherwise your opponent will sit at medium range & shoot you down.
panda2
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by panda2 »

Personally, I wouldn't bother too much with the Grenadiers. They are only marginally better than the Hungarian Infantry in the main list and can't be given skirmisher attachments. A Cavalry or Cuirassier Divison IMO adds more. You get no heavy cavalry in the main list and a unit of horse artillery could also be a useful addition the rather low limit of 5 artillery in the main list.

I think Scrumpy is being rather pessimistic about skirmishers. In large units with cavalry support you need to be quite careless to let the enemy overwhelm you with fire power at medium range and the basic cheapness of unreformed infantry can mean that weight of numbers will present you with assault opportunities without the need to soften the enemy up too much first. Nevertheless, I do agree with him that the larger number of skirmisher attachments available Italy or Bohemia lists are attractive and could actually allow you to play the army like a conventional reformed army if you wanted to.

Andy D
deadtorius
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by deadtorius »

Just having completed another Austrian victory with the 1809 Danube list (at 1000 points so not sure if it would help you) I went with grenadiers and put a large unit in a building that just happened to land just within my deployment and right at the base of the large hill (Froggies won initiative by 5 :shock: ). The grenadiers in the building with attached med artillery held through out the entire game, wavering almost all the French who came in range. Took a unit of Hungarian grenadiers but they ended up out back, being a small unit, and didn't actually get into the fight.
One thing I did really like was to attach an officer and artillery to the superior Hussars. Now that was a nice unit. First time with the Uhlans, found out the hard way that lances don't give you anything versus enemy cav and they wavered then routed. I find that grenadiers with artillery attached is almost as good as having a skirmish unit (which they can't have but its a good substitute) and it does not lose dice if there is cav about. Keep the mixed division cav near and you can reduce French shooting. Had the points left so attached cav to my Jagers, that was a waste of points as it never came into play, and it does not aid in combat so they are getting dropped next game.

Large units of Austrians is my best advice, it helped save my grenadiers, and does reduce French skirmish fire. I say go with the numbers. In the end I had 15 units, including 3 artillery units vs 13 or 14 French.
Blathergut
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by Blathergut »

I hate those large, cheap Austrian units! :evil: :evil:
deadtorius
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by deadtorius »

I hate those large, cheap Austrian units!
Personally I like them :twisted: :P
LeslieMitchell
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by LeslieMitchell »

deadtorius wrote:
I hate those large, cheap Austrian units!
Personally I like them :twisted: :P

I like them when they rout :twisted:
hazelbark
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by hazelbark »

panda2 wrote: I think Scrumpy is being rather pessimistic about skirmishers. In large units with cavalry support you need to be quite careless
Well you have diagnosed several aspects of Scrumpy's game play in this.
:lol:

Return to “Army Design”