Scenario - Pleisse River, 16 October 1813

Moderators: philqw78, terrys, hammy, Blathergut, Slitherine Core

shadowdragon
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Scenario - Pleisse River, 16 October 1813

Post by shadowdragon »

This scenario concerns the attack of the II Austrian corps to seize crossings of the the Pleisse river between Connewitz and Dolitz. It is the 2nd half of the "table B" scenario for the Leipzig scenario of Napoleon's Battles. The other part is the Battle of Lindenau:

viewtopic.php?f=196&t=38188

This is a rather small corps sized action (about 600 points per side), but it's not necessarily a beginner's battle due to the difficult terrain.

French Order of Battle:

VIII Corps - Poniatowski (exceptional - charismatic)

26th Division - Kamiencki (skilled)
1 small average veteran Polish infantry
1 small average drilled Polish infantry
1 large average conscript French Provisional infantry (Lefol's garrison)
1 small average drilled Polish medium artillery
1 attached officer (Lefol)

2nd Guard Division - Curial (skilled)
1 small Middle Guard Fusilier Grenadiers and Chasseurs (superior, drilled Guard)
1 small Velites of Turin and Florence (average, drilled light infantry)
1 small Polish, Saxon & Westphalian Guard (average, veteran Guard)
1 small Young Guard medium artillery (average, drilled, Guard)

Total Points = 612

Deployment: At the start only Poniatowski and the 26th division are deployed on the table. Lefol's force (the Provisional infantry with attached officer) are deployed in Connewitz or anywhere west up to the western most river crossing. The Polish infantry can deploy anywhere between Lossnig and Dolitz up to the western most river crossings. The Polish artillery deploys within 6 MU of Dolitz on the eastern side of the Pleisse River.

Reinforcements: Curial's division can be activated from the turn after the Austrians capture either the Connewitz or Dolitz bridges; capture the village of Lossnig (and thereby dominate the ford); or bridge the Pleisse river to gain access to the eastern side. Curial's division can arrive anywhere on the eastern edge of the board.

Austrian Order of Battle:

II Corps - Meerveldt (skilled) - probably should be "competent" but I gave the French a unified command under and exceptional leader, so it only seemed fair to make the near-sighted Meerveldt "skilled"

1st Division - Lederer (skilled)
1 small superior drilled Hussar
1 small average drilled Dragoon
1 small average irregular Grenzer
1 large average, drilled German infantry
2 attached artillery

2nd Division - Liechtenstein (skilled)
1 large average, drilled German infantry
2 small average, conscript German infantry
1 small average, drilled Hungarian infantry
1 large average drilled medium artillery

Total Points = 564

All Austrian forces can deploy on the table at the start (up to 16 MU from the centre line but no closer than 16 MU from the nearest French / Polish units). If the French / Polish forces are within 16 MU of the western table edge, the Austrian forces can enter from the table edge on turn 1 - without any need for activation.

Austrian bridging: The Austrians had some bridging. To represent this, if any Austrian unit accompanied by a commander is next to the Pleisse, they can attempt to place a pontoon bridge. They can do this by rolling two successful CMT. If the unit or commander is forced away from the river after the 1st successful CMT but before the 2nd one, the Austrians must begin again when a unit with commander are adjacent to the river.
Last edited by shadowdragon on Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
shadowdragon

Re: Scenario - Pleisse River, 16 October 1813

Post by shadowdragon »

The Map:

The table size is 6' X 4'

ImagePleisse on Flickr

North is to the left, so the Eastern edge is the top (French) edge and the Western edge is the bottom (Austrian) edge.

Woods and swamp are difficult terrain. The Pleisse River, except for the western arm (thin blue line), is impassable except at the bridges or the ford. The western branch (the thin blue line) is a "4-5" river (see page 98 of the rules). Units may cross if they are with a commander and pass a CMT.

Time: The battle starts at 9:00 AM.

Victory: If neither army is defeated, the player that holds both Dolitz and Connewitz has a major victory. The player that holds Connewitz but not Dolitz has a moderate victory. If a player holds Dolitz and Connewitz is contested, that player has a marginal victory. If both villages are contested, the French / Polish player has a marginal victory.
Last edited by shadowdragon on Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:06 pm, edited 9 times in total.
bahdahbum
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by bahdahbum »

Seems nice .

What about the table size ?
shadowdragon

Post by shadowdragon »

[quote="bahdahbum"]Seems nice .

What about the table size ?[/quo

6' X 4'
Chrisf1957
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by Chrisf1957 »

The images of the maps seem to have vanished for this and the other scenarios is there anyway they can be reposted
shadowdragon

Post by shadowdragon »

Chrisf1957 wrote:The images of the maps seem to have vanished for this and the other scenarios is there anyway they can be reposted
I'm not sure why you're not seeing the maps, Chris. It shows up for my browser. The link is correct and the maps are still in the same location. I moved some images of miniatures but not the maps. It's possible that adverts are screwing things up or maybe photobucket's server was down. I'm not really sure.

Here's the link to the album with the maps...see above for photobucket's new policy....

http://s174.photobucket.com/user/starry ... enarioMaps

This link is now dead as I've deleted my photobucket account.
Last edited by shadowdragon on Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
shadowdragon

Post by shadowdragon »

Fyi - I'm will soon finish the last unit needed to refight Mockern. It's only taken...ahem, 4 years after the 100th anniversary and 5 since I started the project.
richafricanus
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by richafricanus »

That's why our hobby is such fun. We set our own deadlines and don't even have to hit them if we don't want to :D
shadowdragon

Post by shadowdragon »

richafricanus wrote:That's why our hobby is such fun. We set our own deadlines and don't even have to hit them if we don't want to :D
Believe me I wanted to hit the deadline, but reality had a different schedule.
shadowdragon

Post by shadowdragon »

Can anyone else see the map above? It seems that Photobucket doesn't allow 3rd party hosting (i.e., embedding images in other sites than Photobucket) unless you pay to upgrade your account. Advertising is apparently not bringing in enough revenue. I've no interest in upgrading my photobucket account, but before I remove the embedding code and leave the maps as links - you should still be able to access them as links - I would like confirmation that the maps aren't visible to others. I can see them but that's probably because it's my photobucket account.
geoff
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by geoff »

I can see the map. No need to use the link.
shadowdragon

Post by shadowdragon »

geoff wrote:I can see the map. No need to use the link.
Thanks. I've added links in case phtobcket ever enforces its 3rd party hosting policy.
Chrisf1957

Post by Chrisf1957 »

Shadow Dragon many thanks for the link to your photoshop bucket with the maps and great work

Kind Regards Chris F
:D
shadowdragon

Post by shadowdragon »

Chrisf1957 wrote:Shadow Dragon many thanks for the link to your photoshop bucket with the maps and great work

Kind Regards Chris F
:D
Thanks Chris. Working on a solution the replace photo-dumpster-bucket. Maybe blogger as madaxeman suggests.
shadowdragon

Post by shadowdragon »

The maps are back up courtesy of Flickr. So far I've only done the maps for the Leipzig scenarios. Will see about what photos in other posts I'll fix.

Return to “Historical Scenarios, Maps, and Orders of Battle (OOB)”