assaulting and wheeling

Moderators: terrys, hammy, philqw78, Blathergut, Slitherine Core

graym
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

assaulting and wheeling

Post by graym »

As a new player something I thought was simple has been questioned by another newish player.

I thought any contact with an assaulted unit was an assault. page 28

In particular 2 units charging 1.

My friend has jumped to the the wheeling section and interpreted that all chargers must wheel to hit the unit with the centre of the charging unit.

I can't see his view at all.
Wheeling is a separate section and says you MAY wheel but can't wheel past the centre of the charged unit.
It says you can only wheel to place some of the target in front of your centre.

Am I correct?

Also I know guard can rear support guard. Can average support superior ? I can find this definition.

Also if guns are abandoned 1. is there an outcome move for the chargers
2 do the chargers move their full distance past the guns.

thanks
KendallB
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Re: assaulting and wheeling

Post by KendallB »

If the charging unit has an imaginary line projecting from the centre of his unit that is already touching some part of the enemy unit then he does not have to wheel. If he doesn't, then he must wheel until this imaginary line touches any part of the enemy unit. This is the minimum wheel. You may always wheel in a charge, so long as the imaginary line does not go further than the centre of the enemy unit and the wheel is not more than 90 degrees.

Average can support superior. Poor can not support superior. This is in the glossary (of all places...)

If guns are abandoned then the chargers complete their charge movement distance. There is no outcome move for chargers unless they receive hits in defensive fire.
graym
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by graym »

That's what I thought.
Interesting about the outcome move if you have received defensive fire. What category do you use?
KendallB

Post by KendallB »

The table that has results from firing.
graym
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by graym »

The other issue regarding abandoned guns is on page 29 it says in reaction moves as a retire , gunners take refuge behind an infantry unit within 2MU.
What if there is no infantry unit within 2 MU?
Yet elsewhere the gun crew is treated as an ethereal entity which can come back to the guns once criteria are met.
graym
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by graym »

KendallB, just getting back to the assault definition , it simply says a contact has to be made in a normal move. Nothing about centre lines.

In the wheeling section, it says it must wheel as far as necessary to place part of the target in front of their centre line
OR as far as possible if this would otherwise cause them not to reach their target.
So this appears to negate the centre line thing as long as part of you can hit?
viperofmilan
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by viperofmilan »

graym,

I fought this battle more than a year ago and lost. I believed (and still believe) that the RAW require a charging unit to wheel so as to intersect some part of a target unit with a line extended perpendicular to the center of it's front edge. This view was categorically, if not unanimously rejected in favor of the interpretation you have offered in this thread. A long winded way of saying, you are correct.
deadtorius
Field Marshal - Me 410A
Field Marshal - Me 410A

Post by deadtorius »

Adding to confusion, as Terry once posted you can wheel past your targets center only if necessary to pass a friendly unit. I would assume this would be friends from a different division that you can't interpenetrate. The only way to complete the charge would be more wheel to allow you to pass by them. The needing some part of the target to your front etc still applies.
The wheel restrictions is an attempt to cancel silly charge algorithms to avoid intercepts, which became common in the other FOG rule sets. Personally I feel charges should be as straight forward as possible. My French opponent used to try all kinds of silly wheels to avoid my carefully set up intercepts. Once you get the hang of charge wheel restrictions it will make some sense to you that you shouldn't be able to wheel about till just your corner will contact thus avoiding an intercept.

Artillery who are charged and don't have friends within 2 MU must stand and fight. They don't have any where to run to.the artillery will get 4 dice to start with in melee, and has a -POA. I think it's pretty clear why you wouldn't want to leave them to fight a melee on their own. Of course they would still get defensive fire, so might avoid the fight.

At present you have the opportunity to re-crew your guns. This is an option that was being discused about dropping it, or simplifying it as the current mandatory re crewing the gun with cohesion loss is both complicated and not overly popular. No one is too thrilled about manning a gun and your crew is wavering, due to a poor die roll when they abandoned the gun originally

Return to “Rules Questions”