V2 for the Kindle Fire

Forum for technical support for the digital reader version of Field of Glory.

Moderators: philqw78, terrys, hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Design, Field of Glory Moderators

rich0101
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

V2 for the Kindle Fire

Post by rich0101 »

I was wondering if you are going to fix the program so that it actually works on actual ereaders. There are a bunch of people with kindles, nooks, and other android type tablets. I know my goal when I first heard that it was coming out for ereaders was to rebuy all the army books and everything just for my Kindle Fire.
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: V2 for the Kindle Fire

Post by IainMcNeil »

Hi sorry but it only works on PC/Mac/iPad. We don't have any plans to take it to Kindle as its effectively a completely new platform to develop for.
batesmotel
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by batesmotel »

IainMcNeil wrote:Hi sorry but it only works on PC/Mac/iPad. We don't have any plans to take it to Kindle as its effectively a completely new platform to develop for.
The Kindle Fire is an Android tablet. At least in the US you are missing a major portion of the tablet market by ignoring Android. If Abannan became a bit more flexible about content layout it would seem like they should be able to support Android tablets in general as a single new app. At the moment, I suspect, you won't even be able to support the new, smaller iPad without a new app from Abannan. Unfortunately it's much more likely to be a useful platform for use at tournaments as are the less expensive Android tablets that are available.

Chris
....where life is beautiful all the time
johno
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by johno »

I posted a query to the Abannan website, and got this reply on 15OCT2012:
To answer your question, up until recently we didn’t feel there was a strong enough reason to develop our product for the Andriod platform as we were targeting business users.

We now have a need to expand into the Andriod market as we are providing digital match day programmes and will be looking to port our product by Q2 next year.

Hope this answers your question.

Lawrence Wilson
Director of IT
Abannan Limited
So football might be good for something, after all...
John Orange

Club Web Site: http://www.plymouthwargamers.co.uk
peterrjohnston
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by peterrjohnston »

batesmotel wrote:At the moment, I suspect, you won't even be able to support the new, smaller iPad without a new app from Abannan.
The new iPad mini works exactly the same way as the current form factor, nothing needs to be changed from the development point of view. (Screen is same size, just scaled down 20%).
batesmotel
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by batesmotel »

peterrjohnston wrote:
batesmotel wrote:At the moment, I suspect, you won't even be able to support the new, smaller iPad without a new app from Abannan.
The new iPad mini works exactly the same way as the current form factor, nothing needs to be changed from the development point of view. (Screen is same size, just scaled down 20%).
Have you tried it? The PC version seems to only display in a fixed pixel size rather than just displaying in a particular aspect ratio. The tablet version might do better but unless they used the 1024x768 pixels size on the full size iPad, it won't work correctly on the iPad mini. The PC version does appear to be about 768x1024, so maybe they use that resolution on all displays. (My laptop is 1600x900 so it doesn't display a full page vertically without scrolling. And the app doesn't support the rotate option listed in the controls so I assume that is tablet only.

Chris
....where life is beautiful all the time
peterrjohnston
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by peterrjohnston »

It hasn't been released yet, so no :)

But it was one of the first questions in the dev forums. Basically any app for an iPad 1 or 2 works exactly the same way on the mini. Screen size is the same, 1024x768. The iPad 3 has a "retina" display, double resolution, so graphics (images) are double sized, effectively they display the same.
rich0101
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by rich0101 »

So does this mean that you are going to ignore the whole android market? I think that will definately be a huge mistake because of all the cheap android tablets out.
LEmpereur
Major-General - Jagdtiger
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Post by LEmpereur »

johno wrote:I posted a query to the Abannan website, and got this reply on 15OCT2012:
...we were targeting business users.
Lawrence Wilson, Director of IT, Abannan Limited
May be a bad choice... so many FoG players are businessmen... see around you... and wake up... or vice versa... :twisted:
rich0101 wrote:So does this mean that you are going to ignore the whole android market? I think that will definately be a huge mistake because of all the cheap android tablets out.
We agree! 8)
johno wrote:So football might be good for something, after all...
Yes... RED CARD!!! :mrgreen:
L'Empereur Bête et Méchant vous invite à visitez :
Le Blog : https://lempereurzoom13.blogspot.fr/
Le projet 2020 : http://2020batailledeloigny.blogspot.fr/
Cons se le disent!!!
Philotomy
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Philotomy »

I have a Nexus 7 running Android. I'd definitely like to see an Android version of FoG v2.

Return to “Tech Support”