Moderators: firepowerjohan, Happycat, rkr1958, Slitherine Core

Irlandos
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

What are Soviets doing in the UK?

Post by Irlandos »

Screenshot (9).jpg
Screenshot (9).jpg (290.1 KiB) Viewed 2616 times
I thought East was East and West was West and the twain never met but, apparently, in this latest CEAW version, Soviet troops can can land in the UK!
Is this by design or is it a bug?
JyriErik
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Re: What are Soviets doing in the UK?

Post by JyriErik »

Simple. They sent troops/aircraft to support the British/US forces in their liberation of Scotland. If you look by Archangel, there's a transport loop that has a counterpart near Trondheim.

I'm guessing, based on the mini-map, that since the eastern front isn't going too well for the Germans that the Russians have more than enough troops to spare fopr such sideshows.

Jyri
Irlandos
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Irlandos »

Hmmm... When I first saw that loop (version 4.00?), I was told ships could go that route but not troops.
Has that changed?
Can we now send British troops to Archangel to support the Soviet Union or is it only one way?
Plaid
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by Plaid »

Transports move through transportation loops just as all other ships.
Not sure if Allied troops can enter USSR, never tried it.
At some stage it was prohibited because of exploit (sending British fighters instead of building any Soviet ones), no idea how it works in current version.
Peter Stauffenberg
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by Peter Stauffenberg »

There is nothing prohibiting you from moving across the border. However, I think you won't get the highest supply levels since your supply source will be far away. Russia use different supply sources than the Allies. So expect Allied units in Russia with supply level 3 while Russian units have supply level 4 or 5.

In the example above it seems the British have been kicked out of the British Isles and Russia are helping USA and the UK remnants in Canada liberating Scotland and England. I think that could have happened in the rear world too if Russia hadn't been pushed too hard by the Germans.
ncali
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by ncali »

I did a little test on hotseat with the 1942 scenario with the current version of the game. British landtroops on transports can move through the loop but could not land on Soviet-controlled soil or land at the Archangel port. So I read the last post to mean that the Allies could land if it were Axis controlled. I think this is a good thing and consistent with Plaid's memory. Stalin would never have allowed it. Remember the example of the Dolittle raid, where the crew forced to land in Russia were interned and the plane confiscated!

EDIT: Clarified that in the test I meant British going to Russia. I think the game has it right so long as the British and US can't send troops to Soviet national territory. That appears to be how it is working now. Conversely, I don't see any reason why the Soviets shouldn't be able to land in Britain, which is only likely as in the example, where Britain was first conquered by the Axis.
Last edited by ncali on Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vokt
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by Vokt »

If the Soviets count with spare forces to help Western Allies, then certainly Axis is not doing well in Eastern front. For the rest, I also believe it could have been plausible in real life to see Soviet army units helping the Brits.

Return to “MILITARY HISTORY™ Commander - Europe at War : General Discussion”