Combining units?

PSP/DS/PC/MAC : WWII turn based grand strategy game

Moderators: firepowerjohan, Happycat, rkr1958, Slitherine Core

Irlandos
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Combining units?

Post by Irlandos »

I spent a lifetime in programming but know no Java so maybe this isn't even do-able but...

Can a facility be created in the future where, towards the end of the war, we can combine battered units?
E.g. Often, playing the Axis powers, by 1944 I end up with several air units on 3, 2 or even 1 step. These units are useless as is nor can I replenish them all as I am usually, by this time, fighting for my Axis life. Can we combine these air units by, let's say, flying one (or more) into the other one's hex? Thus, there will be fewer units but they will be usable.
This isn't unrealistic as stragglers from battered units can be placed into other units.
Peter Stauffenberg
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Re: Combining units?

Post by Peter Stauffenberg »

Everything is possible With coding, but it's quite a bit of effort to do.

Not sure combining air units is a good idea because you get less firepower by doing so. I can give you an example.

Germany have 3 air units: 2 steps, 3 steps and 5 steps. If they combine they will form a single unit With 10 steps.

If the Allies attack and the fighters intercept separately then you get the following number of dice rolls.
Separate: 2+4, 3+4 and 5+4 = 22 dice rolls for damage.
Combined: 10+4 = 14 dice rolls for damage.

So you're actually sacrificing 8 dice rolls for damage by combining air units. Better to let them og up in smoke doing quite a bit of damage compared to a single unit getting damaged which you can't afford to repair anyway.

An added Challenge is how to distribute XP from the different units and what to do With leftover if you combine. E. g. if you combine a 5 step With a 6 step. Would you only get the 10 step and lose a step or should the game make a 10 step and a 1 step?

This late in the game the Axis won't be able to respond properly to the Allied air raids. Every time they intercept they just lose steps and the Allies can absorb the fighter damage and repair. Maybe it's better to have tactical bombers combine so you can get a concentrated one time attack. However it won't matter much in a Strategic game where you need maybe 5-6 airstrikes on transports to thwart Overlord.
Plaid
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by Plaid »

Stauffenberg wrote:
Not sure combining air units is a good idea because you get less firepower by doing so. I can give you an example.

Germany have 3 air units: 2 steps, 3 steps and 5 steps. If they combine they will form a single unit With 10 steps.

If the Allies attack and the fighters intercept separately then you get the following number of dice rolls.
Separate: 2+4, 3+4 and 5+4 = 22 dice rolls for damage.
Combined: 10+4 = 14 dice rolls for damage.

So you're actually sacrificing 8 dice rolls for damage by combining air units. Better to let them og up in smoke doing quite a bit of damage compared to a single unit getting damaged which you can't afford to repair anyway.
I believe units below 5 strength dont intercept at all, so thats not accurate example. But even if they did, what good 2 step interceptor would do? Will be rather suicidal.
Peter Stauffenberg
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by Peter Stauffenberg »

A 2 step interceptor would fire 6 shots so you can inflict some losses. Air combat is simultaneous. If you can't afford to repair Your losses it doesn't matter much if you fire shots from 1 unit that survives compared to several units that die after firing.

Usually when I get very depleted air units as the Axis I use them in a defensive role instead With sentry mode on. E. g. to form a second line of defense to prevent front line units from retreating. OK, the Allies can attack this unit separately, but then they have to spend an air attack directly on the unit instead of somewhere else. Then you get the strength + 4 number of shots out before the unit is killed.

Usually this is very late in the game when the front lines are crumbling everywhere and every turn Counts to survive till May 1945.

You can have any strength of air unit intercept if you know what to tweak. :P

Return to “MILITARY HISTORY™ Commander - Europe at War : General Discussion”