Clarification of how XP gain/loss works in 3.1 required

PSP/DS/PC/MAC : WWII turn based grand strategy game

Moderators: firepowerjohan, Happycat, rkr1958, Slitherine Core

Metalogic
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Clarification of how XP gain/loss works in 3.1 required

Post by Metalogic »

Hi - I'd like to try to clarify how XP gain/loss works in 3.1, as the 3.1 manual (which is really the 3.0 manual with some additions, I think) isn't entirely clear on this.

I'm aware that in 3.1 you qualify for the XP discount if repairing from 7/8 or 9 steps

On page 168 it says "XP discount is now only given if the repairing unit is in a hex where the core owner is from the same side" - this is how I remember it from 3.0, but is this still true? Does potentially mean that the CW could more easily gain and keep XP for air units during the battle for France than the Germans.

However on page 168 section 6.6.6 is also says "Air units lose a flat 5 XP points per step repaired even at 8 or 9-steps." - does this mean air units *always" lose XP in 3.1, even if reinforcing from 7/8 or 9 steps in a core owner hex? In 3.0 I'm pretty sure you didn't lose XP for air units reinforced from 8/9 steps if in a core owner hex, unless I'm mistaken, so has this changed or is the text just misleading?

Also - do naval units *always* lose XP when upgrading, even if in a core owner port? I think I remember this *was* the case previously.
fangotango
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Re: Clarification of how XP gain/loss works in 3.1 required

Post by fangotango »

Here is a link to a discussion on XP amounts gained per attack: http://www.slitherine.co.uk/forum/viewt ... a9b6228bf2 in case that is helpful.

As far as I understand, you lose 5 XP for every step repaired up to 7. Repairs from 7 to 8 and higher do not incur a loss of XP.

I don't know what the "XP discount" is. A search for "XP discount" in the manual did not help me. So I'm curious about that.
fangotango
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by fangotango »

As far as losing XP when upgrading, I have never heard of that. Do you mean Efficiency? All unit lose 5 EFF when upgrading.
Metalogic
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Metalogic »

fangotango wrote:Here is a link to a discussion on XP amounts gained per attack: http://www.slitherine.co.uk/forum/viewt ... a9b6228bf2 in case that is helpful.

As far as I understand, you lose 5 XP for every step repaired up to 7. Repairs from 7 to 8 and higher do not incur a loss of XP.
In 3.0 it used to be (I think) that unless you repaired in a core owned hex (i.e. a German core hex, if a German unit), then you still lost 5 XP per step repaired, even if at 8/9 steps - has this requirement changed i.e. can you repair anywhere at 7/8/9 steps and not lose XP now?
fangotango wrote: I don't know what the "XP discount" is. A search for "XP discount" in the manual did not help me. So I'm curious about that.
I think it just means the not losing XP thing when at 7/8/9 steps etc. but the manual is confusing as it seems to imply this doesn't apply to air units ever (even if in owned core hexes), which doesn't sound right

BTW by "upgrading" I should have said "reinforcing"
Metalogic
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Metalogic »

Is anyone able to clarify whether in GS 3.1 you still lose XP when reinforcing, if not in an core owned hex, even when at 7/8/9 steps? Do things work the same for air and ground units? From what I can tell, in 3.1 you don't have to be in a core owned hex to not lose XP when reinforcing from 7/8/9 steps, at least for ground units (might be different for air units?)

Do naval units *always* lose XP when reinforcing, even if in a core-owned port and at 7/8/9 steps? Thanks
GogTheMild
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by GogTheMild »

No units ever lose XP when reinforcing from 7/8/9 steps. (No matter where they are.)
We sleep peaceably in our beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on our behalf.
Metalogic
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Metalogic »

GogTheMild wrote:No units ever lose XP when reinforcing from 7/8/9 steps. (No matter where they are.)
Okay, thanks for clarifying, the manual is a little confusing on this!
duncanr
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by duncanr »

you will see some people change their approach to defending france because of this- I will exchange some faster fall of France for taking axis units below 7 steps

Return to “MILITARY HISTORY™ Commander - Europe at War : General Discussion”