FAQ, Hints & Tricks.

PSP/DS/PC/MAC : WWII turn based grand strategy game

Moderators: firepowerjohan, rkr1958, Happycat, Slitherine Core

firepowerjohan
Brigadier-General - 8.8 cm Pak 43/41

FAQ, Hints & Tricks.

Post by firepowerjohan »

Since I assume not many ppl have the patience to open up the manual and read before playing, I will post some crucial and hard to know rules here that people else could bypass :)

FAQ
1) How long is a turn in CEaW? - 20 days
2) Can the game be played beyond 1945? - Yes, there is a optional 1945 ending rule and if that one is OFF then you can play unlimited until either side has been conquered
3) Does increases AA help my units defending cities better? - No, AA improves the Resources air combat values not units.
4) Are there any hotkeys for the game? - Yes, <PAGE_UP> : Scrolls through ready units, <PAGE_DOWN> : Scrolls through ready units, +/- Keys : Zoom In/Out, Arrow Keys : Scrolls the Map, 's' : Sentry Unit

Did you know this?
1) Subs are invisible to enemy when their blue icon on their bottom right is showing. When they battle they go visible and when they move they go invisible again (Dive! Dive! Dive!)
2) Upgrading a unit often makes it temporarily weaker since the loss in effectiveness lowers its combat ability more than the increased values of its upgrade.
3) Reinforcing Ground and Air units has a cost factor of 60% so is cheaper than naval units that have cost factor of 80%
4) A strategic bomber, contrary to other unit types, attacks a resource even if a unit is defending it.
5) Damaging a unit that is defending a resource will also mean splash damage on the resource.
6) Occupying enemy territory will only give 50% of its map production, while allied countries that join you will give 100%
7) Carriers can attack a Sub without any counter attack
8 ) Right clicking the map when no unit is chosen will center the location on that spot
9) You can rename your units by clicking their names in the unitpanel

More to come...
Last edited by firepowerjohan on Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Johan Persson - Firepower Entertainment
Lead Developer of CEAW, CNAW and World Empires Live (http://www.worldempireslive.com)
shawkhan
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by shawkhan »

When?
Happycat
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by Happycat »

shawkhan wrote:When?
Now! :D

I didn't see anything that said users could not post their own tips, so here you go...

1. Embarking on a transport in a port that adjoins a neighbouring landmass (e.g. Hamburg/Denmark) allows disembarking upon the same turn into the neighbouring area. If the unit disembarks next to an enemy unit (e.g. as in this case, defender in Copenhagen), then an attack can be made, also within the same turn!

2. A convoy surrounded by friendly naval combat units moves THROUGH one of those units in the convoy movement phase. If there is an enemy submarine hidden next to the friendly unit through which the convoy moves, a couple of interesting things happen. First, the convoy will either bounce back to its starting position, or be diverted to a new course and continue---but, it WILL BE ATTACKED. Second, in the next players turn, the after-combat display will make it appear as if the submarine attacked the friendly naval combat unit---which can be very confusing. (in the mod that Stauffenberg and I play, only one surface unit and one air unit may attack any one submarine during a turn---EXCEPT, if the submarine attacked a combat vessel instead of a convoy. Then all restrictions are lifted for one turn)

3. Want to have a free run for your bombers? Send in fighters to attack targets in the objective area first, drawing up enemy interceptors. Since each interceptor can only fly once per turn, if you succeed in drawing up all fighters within range, then your strategic/tactical bombers can fly in without being intercepted.

4. Leaders with "plus" defense or attack ratings give a bonus only to the unit they are attached to, not to all units under their command.
Chance favours the prepared mind.
rkr1958
General - Elite King Tiger

Post by rkr1958 »

I have compiled a document on CEaW that is broken up into three sections: (1) Things Explained, (2) Tactics & (3) Strategy. There's really not much original material in from me. I compiled this document from a post from firepowerjohan (how combat works), a post from Stauffenberg (strategic bombers) and from strategy and tips offered to me by Stauffenberg and Happycat in the two PBEM games that I'm playing against them. Up to now I've only played against the AI or hotseat solo. Playing against humans, especially against the caliber of Stauffenberg and Happycat, I've learned a lot. They've taught me a lot. They've been especially helpful at pointing at my many tactical and strategic flaws. Stauffenberg took pity on me after I really messed up a game that I was playing as the axis against him. We started over and things are going much better using the strategy and tactics that I've compiled into the above document.

If there's any interest, I'd like to offer up this document to the CEaW community as a work in progress. And with the hopes that it would be added to and improved on. Again, it contains very little original material from me. My sources are firepowerjohan, Stauffenberg and Happycat.

I believe that such a document would be of significant benefit to people new to CEaW and to folks like me who've only played against the AI or hotseat solo.

Any interest?
dooya
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by dooya »

rkr1958 wrote:I have compiled a document on CEaW that is broken up into three sections: (1) Things Explained, (2) Tactics & (3) Strategy. There's really not much original material in from me. I compiled this document from a post from firepowerjohan (how combat works), a post from Stauffenberg (strategic bombers) and from strategy and tips offered to me by Stauffenberg and Happycat in the two PBEM games that I'm playing against them. Up to now I've only played against the AI or hotseat solo. Playing against humans, especially against the caliber of Stauffenberg and Happycat, I've learned a lot. They've taught me a lot. They've been especially helpful at pointing at my many tactical and strategic flaws. Stauffenberg took pity on me after I really messed up a game that I was playing as the axis against him. We started over and things are going much better using the strategy and tactics that I've compiled into the above document.

If there's any interest, I'd like to offer up this document to the CEaW community as a work in progress. And with the hopes that it would be added to and improved on. Again, it contains very little original material from me. My sources are firepowerjohan, Stauffenberg and Happycat.

I believe that such a document would be of significant benefit to people new to CEaW and to folks like me who've only played against the AI or hotseat solo.

Any interest?
Yes, there is interest. I just sent you a PM with my email address. :)
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

If you dont have any webspace we can host the file for you here?
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

iainmcneil wrote:If you dont have any webspace we can host the file for you here?
Let me know if this works -

CEaW_Explainations_Strategy_Tactics
Last edited by rkr1958 on Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:56 pm, edited 6 times in total.
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

Thanks - very interesting!
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

6-28-2008. Updated. Added Russian War Strategy - Surviving the First Two Years (post by Stauffenberg). Also added a few other items.
6-29-2008. Updated. Added Allied Naval Strategy & other tidbits (thanks to Stauffenberg).
7-09-2008. Updated. Added Axis Strategy for 1-turn Conquest of Greece and for Yugoslavia (not the same turn though). (thanks to Happycat).
9-19-2008. Updated. Added Johan's latest "CEAW Combat System in detail" post. This replaced the "Combat Explained" section of the report, which was based on an older and similar post by Johan.

lbusuttil
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by lbusuttil »

Lots of interesting and helpful stuff here.

Thank you.
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

lbusuttil wrote:Lots of interesting and helpful stuff here.

Thank you.
You're welcomed. Glad you find it useful.
lbusuttil

Post by lbusuttil »

Will you be adding a section on attacking Britain (Sealion) under the Axis hints and tips?
firepowerjohan

Post by firepowerjohan »

lbusuttil wrote:Will you be adding a section on attacking Britain (Sealion) under the Axis hints and tips?
A think I will leave strategy guides for you players to make, I am too much tainted developing and playing this game for long :wink:
Johan Persson - Firepower Entertainment
Lead Developer of CEAW, CNAW and World Empires Live (http://www.worldempireslive.com)
lbusuttil

Post by lbusuttil »

Sorry firepowerjohan - my question was intended for rkr1958 re the strategy guide he has already started.
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

lbusuttil wrote:Sorry firepowerjohan - my question was intended for rkr1958 re the strategy guide he has already started.
lbusuttil, I play all my games now exclusive with the BJR mod ( viewtopic.php?p=76704#76704 ). If I were to add a section on Sea Lion it'd be in the context of the mod, which constrains invasion capability in 1940/1941 over that in the vanilla game. However; in a playtest game for an earlier version of our mod, which had no constraints on invasion capability, I had the unfortunate experience of having a successful Sea Lion carried out against me. We were playing this game under a house rule, which we no longer have, that required the Axis player to DOW Russia three turns after the capture of a city in England. We did away with this rule, as we felt is was unnecessary, after we added the invasion constraints.

With all that said the AAR for the game between Happycat and myself in which he carried out a successful Sea Lion is covered in viewtopic.php?p=68699#68699 Though things look bleak at times for the Allies, I was fortunate enough as the Allies to pull it out and eventually win it. If you read though it then I think you may find some tips, strategies and tactics that Happycat used to pull off Sea Lion. Especially, baiting me with his u-boats to get the Royal Navy out of position the turn before he launched Sea Lion.
joerock22
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by joerock22 »

lbusuttil wrote:Will you be adding a section on attacking Britain (Sealion) under the Axis hints and tips?
In the original game, I have seen 2 main ways to do Sealion, but there are probably others:

1. Overwhelming numbers. One game, I had about 10 infantry units as the British, but my opponent landed about 20, including tanks and Italians. I was crushed in a few turns. The problem was that most of my navy was in the MED, so I couldn't stop him at sea.

2. Air superiority. The historical Germans knew what they were doing in fighting the Battle of Britain, they just couldn't establish air superiority. But you can! 2-3 fighters and 3-4 bombers, plus the Italians should do the trick. This is good for 2 reasons. First, some aerial bombardment makes things much easier on your troops once they've landed in England. Second, your bombers can rain death down on the Royal Navy should they come forth to challenge your landings.

If you see that your opponent is really trying to prevent Sealion, it might be best just to forget it. If he brings all his navy to the Atlantic, even air power might not keep him from breaking through your sub screen and sinking the HSF, which is supplying your troops. You have to be very careful, because once you land troops, you have to take England or lose the war. I recently conquered England by the skin of my teeth, and only after months of vicious fighting. Barbarossa will be very late because I had to spend so much repairing my ground units and planes in England and France. Against an Allied player determined to prevent it at all costs, Sealion is a very risky endeavor, which is as it should be. Hope this helped. :)
lbusuttil

Post by lbusuttil »

Very interesting. Thank you.
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

3-28-2009. Updated. Added joerock22's writeup to a newly created Sealion Axis Strategy section. Thanks Joe!

Also, my intention is that this document will continue to evolve and be composed of a collection of tips and strategies from the entire CEaW community. If you have something to contributed please feel free to post it, PM it to me or email me and I'll happily included it in the document. I know for me personally that I wished I'd had something like this when I first started playing CEaW; especially, against human opponents. This would have same me against a large number silly mistakes I initially made. Though, I still continue to make other (silly) mistakes at least I don't make the same ones twice. lol:

Also, all comments welcomed; especially constructive disagreements with anything in the document. In fact this is nothing wrong with having alternative or opposing points of view in the document.

julyderek
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by julyderek »

Great Guide. Thanks !
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

julyderek wrote:Great Guide. Thanks !
Thank you.

4-7-2009. Updated. Added Staffenberg's write ups on: (1) how you can take out Belgium in one turn 90+% of the time (applicable to the BJR mod) and (2) on offensives against double and single defensive lines (applicable to vanilla game and BJR mod).

Return to “MILITARY HISTORY™ Commander - Europe at War : General Discussion”