Combat Operations Mod (COM) PiTF Edition, V1.4

The latest in release the award winning Close Combat series is 32 bit colour, with improved AI and an enhanced campaign layer.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Close Combat Moderators

BrigadierTzu
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Combat Operations Mod (COM) PiTF Edition, V1.4

Post by BrigadierTzu »

I've been playing this series since I was a kid. From the first one on up. I was playing around with the PiTF text files and figured I might as well do something with this newfound knowledge and familiar nostalgia. I designed the mod to be more like historical infantry squads. The American squads are more developed (obviously) because there's more existing knowledge for them. I based the German squads on whatever knowledge I could find, as limited as it may be.

Real quick, too, guys - this is the most realistic version to date. It was designed to be as close a simulation as possible to the reality of combat in WW2, down to the millimeter in armor thickness.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TAKEN DIRECTLY FROM THE "CHANGES" TEXT FILE IN THE ZIP:

This mod was not designed to be something I thought was cool, though I really do think its badass. It was designed to be historically accurate. I haven't added bigger teams or anything because that is outside the tactical scope of the game itself. The game was designed to operate under a by platoon command strucutre. I haven't added embedded weapons teams because realistically those weapons were alwasy drawn from a given company's weapons platoon. The weapon chosen was on a situational basis. If you think about it, commanding individual fireteams and weapons is an excellent tactical depth. It gives you the ability to not only be the company commander in the battle, but also the platoon leader and, for the most part, the NCO(s) commanding the fireteams. You have more tactical freedom to conduct tactical decisions, one of them being a much better simulation of fire and maneuver. In this case fire and maneuver, at the squad level, was the two fireteams leapfrogging under fire. One lays down suppression while the other advances.

Again, this mod was not designed with bigger teams in mind. It was designed for historical accurracy, while staying within the design concepts of the developers. Besides, I've come to like the way they did it.
This mod was not designed to be something I thought was cool, though I really do think its badass. It was designed to be historically accurate. I haven't added bigger teams or anything because that is outside the tactical scope of the game itself. The game was designed to operate under a by platoon command strucutre. I haven't added embedded weapons teams because realistically those weapons were alwasy drawn from a given company's weapons platoon. The weapon chosen was on a situational basis. If you think about it, commanding individual fireteams and weapons is an excellent tactical depth. It gives you the ability to not only be the company commander in the battle, but also the platoon leader and, for the most part, the NCO(s) commanding the fireteams. You have more tactical freedom to conduct tactical decisions, one of them being a much better simulation of fire and maneuver. In this case fire and maneuver, at the squad level, was the two fireteams leapfrogging under fire. One lays down suppression while the other advances.

Again, this mod was not designed with bigger teams in mind. It was designed for historical accurracy, while staying within the design concepts of the developers. Besides, I've come to like the way they did it.

BELOW IS MY LIST OF CHANGES, AND WHY I MADE THEM. ENJOY!

/////////
//Misc.//
/////////

--I completely removed the Increased Infantry Survivability Mod, in favor of my own modifications to cover, soldiers, vehicles, etc.
--I added smoke grenades to the Soldiers.txt so that every man, with the exception of gun and vehicle crews, has smoke. This is again a field adaptation. Smoke saves your ass when your pinned down.
--Cover has now been increased, or decreased in some areas, to suit realistic conditions and bullet stop.

//////////////
//Weapons//
//////////////

--I maintained the game's current ranges, with the exception of close range weapons. I brought those ranges into more historically accurate frame. They are assault weapons, not rifles.
--I did extensive research on the blast radiuses of explosives of the period, including the HE rounds fire by vehicles and tanks.
--I changed every single tank, anti-tank weapons, and assault gun's armor penetration, again with extensive research.
-Be wary around assault tanks, even. Those bad boys fired HEAT rounds when necessary, some of them penetrating 5 inches of armor.
-The armor penetration of thde 88mm rounds from german weapons is quite a bit less than before. Due to German tungsten shortages in WW2, APCR shells (had a tungsten core) eventually became very scarce.
-On that note, I've used the values for the less effective, but still deadly, APCBC shells
-Also, I researched different ammunition types for said weapons to make sure the penetration values matched the most common or standard issue rounds of the period the games takes place in.
--Again with research, I made sure to include the proper nomenclature for weapons.
--I removed the Panzerfaust 60 from the game. Even though it was the most common Panzerfaust of the war, it didn't start production until September 1944. The game takes place in July.

///////////////
//AlsTeams//
//////////////

--Rifle Team and BAR Team are now broken down into two even teams: Able Team (Commanded by the Leader) and Baker Team (Commanded by the Assistant Leader).
-On paper, the rifle squad was assigned only one BAR, and was split into three elements: the Recon Element, the Base of Fire, and the Maneuvering Element.
-In practice, squad leaders found it more advantageous to split the team into two halves, one commanded by himself and the other the assistant squad leader. Squads were also partial to carrying two BAR's into the field, one for each team. These modifications made tactical maneuvers, like Fire and Maneuver, more effective and easier to conduct.
-The same modifications have been made to the Armored Infantry. They are renamed from Armored Infantry to Mech. (for Mechanized) Infantry.

///////////////
//AxsTeams//
//////////////

--German Grenadier Rifle Squads are now broken into two teams: the LMG Team and the Rifle Team
-These squads, contrary to what the game will portray, did not carry two MG42s. The squad was very reliant on the LMG's rate of fire for suppression, and almost every man would carry an extra barrel with him at all times to keep the gun going. They were outfitted with a single LMG, and the gun was crewed by 3 men. The other 6 men were a maneuvering element that moved while the LMG kept heads down.
--PzGrenadiere (gp) squads are now a single team with two LMGs.
-They were mechanized teams that rode in halftracks with the armor.
--PzGrenadiere squads are now broken into two even teams, each with a LMG.
-These men were outfitted for powerhouse suppression to aide in maneuver and the taking of positions during a hard push by the armor (Blitzkrieg).

/////////////
//Vehicles//
/////////////

--Every armored vehicle, with the exception of thin-skinned vehicles, has had its armor thickness brought to historically accuracy. These thickness are also based on the revision of the vehicle itself.
-For instance, the Panther G had 100mm front armor, whereas the Panther A had 110mm front armor.
--All vehicle names have been changed to include the proper nomenclature based on what each faction designated them as.
-For example, the original name Panther A has been changed to PzKpfw Panther Ausf. A.

/////////////////
//UnitStructure//
/////////////////

--The Armored Infantry Platoon has been changed to include 2 rifle squads (Aplha, Bravo Teams), a 60mm mortar, and a MMG.
-This reflects a typical Armore Infantry Platoon's field deployment. Apparently, they didn't draw the mortar or MG from a weapons platoon.
-I modified the Armored Inf HQ Squad to have the MG and Mortar.
--PzGrenadiere (gp) platoons, both SS and regulars, have three teams and three halftracks.
-As stated above, they were mechanized infantry. These are the halftracks they belong to.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I got research or something incorrectly, feel free to say so, so I can fix it. Suggest a few things too! Constructive criticism welcome.
Attachments
PiTF_COM_v14.zip
WITHOUT all slots available.
(30.64 KiB) Downloaded 381 times
PiTF_COM_v14 _AllSlots.zip
WITH all slots available.
(34.77 KiB) Downloaded 306 times

Return to “Close Combat - Panthers in the Fog”