Map?

Sovereignty is a turn-based fantasy strategy game for the PC. It combines a kingdom management campaign game with a general's level tactical battle game.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Gothic Labs

Xerkis
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Map?

Post by Xerkis »

What type of map are we looking to have?

2D, 3D? Open free movement type or Hex based? etc.
lordzimoa
Lordz Games Studio
Lordz Games Studio

Re: Map?

Post by lordzimoa »

At the moment it a beautiful custom 2D province based map, we are early in development, still so much things can change... hence the reason we will not show any screenshots this early, although the game already looks pretty.

In due time we will show more...
TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser »

lordzimoa wrote:At the moment it a beautiful custom 2D province based map, we are early in development, still so much things can change... hence the reason we will not show any screenshots this early, although the game already looks pretty.

Awsome, imho 3d is really not needed in a strategic game and hogs resources
Xerkis
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by Xerkis »

TheGrayMouser wrote:
lordzimoa wrote:At the moment it a beautiful custom 2D province based map, we are early in development, still so much things can change... hence the reason we will not show any screenshots this early, although the game already looks pretty.

Awsome, imho 3d is really not needed in a strategic game and hogs resources
Exactly how I feel about it too TheGrayMouser (very much so) – and the answer I was hoping to hear.

Tim, How far “early in development” would you say you are? Pre-Alpha, Alpha, etc?

. . . . .And we know you can’t show us much (if anything) at this point – but this is one game I think I’ve been waiting my entire life for. . . . or it is certainly is looking like it is that game.
:D
lordzimoa
Lordz Games Studio
Lordz Games Studio

Post by lordzimoa »

We are in pre-Alpha, but it has mainly to do with all the technical, code and features we want to implement and we probably still change and tinker many things. Art wise the game is pretty advanced actually...

However a lesson we learned the hard way, only show screenshots when a game is close to Gold as once out there, you cannot take them back or explain look this was just "placeholder" or an "early build".

There is at this point too many stuff we still want to experiment with...the press that we showed the pre-Alpha build in Stresa, already liked it a lot, so we must be doing something right... :-)

First Commander and Afrika out of the way the coming 2-3 months, and we will work on this in the dark, we are used to being chained in caves and I look like an Ogre anyway. LOL
Xerkis
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by Xerkis »

lordzimoa wrote:We are in pre-Alpha, but it has mainly to do with all the technical, code and features we want to implement and we probably still change and tinker many things. Art wise the game is pretty advanced actually...

However a lesson we learned the hard way, only show screenshots when a game is close to Gold as once out there, you cannot take them back or explain look this was just "placeholder" or an "early build".

There is at this point too many stuff we still want to experiment with...the press that we showed it the pre-Alpha to in Stresa already liked it a lot, so we must be doing something right... :-)

First Commander and Afrika out of the way the coming 2-3 months, and we will work on this in the dark, we are used to being chained in caves anyway and I look like a Ogre anyway. LOL
Very good – glad to hear this. I have seen some of those comments about the things you are talking about and I am very pleased you have learned that most valuable lesson. Seems like too many don’t understand that concept of “placeholder”.

Sounds like a good plan you have there. And assuming this goes to an “open” beta – it would be good to get Commander out of the way first for me as well. . . . in hopes to be a part of this.
:wink:
OmegaMan1
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by OmegaMan1 »

Agreed Xerkis, I'd love to try this out in beta too. I assume the usual sign-up link will be posted for the game at some point in the future?
Wodin
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by Wodin »

Will it be modifiable?

Also please fill the game to the brim up with content from events to units to combat modifiers. Or make it mod friendly. So it can be expanded by users or even things like Warhammer mods could be made etc. This would be a huge selling point. It all adds up to long term playability.
Xerkis
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by Xerkis »

Wodin wrote:Will it be modifiable?

Also please fill the game to the brim up with content from events to units to combat modifiers. Or make it mod friendly. So it can be expanded by users or even things like Warhammer mods could be made etc. This would be a huge selling point. It all adds up to long term playability.
+1
Definitely
TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser »

Quick questions on the map.

Will this be a persistant world, or will each time you play be randomly generated ?
Any idea (roughly) how many regions/provinces it will have?
Am hoping this will be a large world w continents and oceans to conquer:)
Xerkis
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by Xerkis »

TheGrayMouser wrote:Quick questions on the map.

Will this be a persistant world, or will each time you play be randomly generated ?
Excellent questions and on my mind as well.
But just in case we get the standard (but should be expected) answer of too early to tell.

Let me point out to the Devs that there isn't much point of
.... and a navy to rules the seas
if there isn’t other continents to conquer.
So there better be.
Wodin

Post by Wodin »

I randomly generated map would be superb for replayability, though i am doubtful it will be the case.
Breca
Gothic Labs
Gothic Labs

Post by Breca »

TheGrayMouser wrote:Quick questions on the map.

It is a custom-drawn map, very stylish and large. There are sea lanes right now, and islands...that would suggest navies as well.

Nik
Terrement
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Terrement »

<q> ... randomly generated map would be superb for replayability,</q>

I've liked similar games that have set scenarios with the maps and forces that are appropriate (different sized different configured maps / different force availabilities) as well as a random map capability.

I know you are early in development, but hope to "plant some seeds" in the development process.

JJ
Sammual69
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by Sammual69 »

I would love to see random maps, they add so much replayability.
mbpopolano24
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by mbpopolano24 »

Sammual69 wrote:I would love to see random maps, they add so much replayability.
Definitely. Random maps are a must.
pomakli
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by pomakli »

A chance for some screenshots?

Samhain
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by Samhain »

I saw a screenshot on the website or something and on one part of the map it said something in Latin. I hardly know any Latin but I just know it said Here Be Dragons. Nice touch. :)
In spite of the Final Fantasy character it's pronounced sao-win after the Irish pagan god of death. I'm not a pagan but we're on a wargames website so I thought it fitting.
lordzimoa
Lordz Games Studio
Lordz Games Studio

Post by lordzimoa »

Added the Historicon screenshots to the game page, here you see a small part of the map.

http://www.thelordzgamesstudio.com/site ... -of-kings/
Wodin

Post by Wodin »

If the map is custom drawn..which it is..then it's very unlikely you'll get a random map generator. However it may be easy to create your own maps as a mod..?

Return to “Sovereignty”