Took the plunge

PC/PS Vita/X360/PS3 - Beautiful turn based, squad based combat set during WW2.

Moderator: Slitherine Core

MrsWargamer
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Took the plunge

Post by MrsWargamer »

Ok I decided to get it, and while buying yet another wargame has to be something akin with obsessive compulsion, well at least it isn't going to make me gain weight :)

I'd rather spend the 20 bucks on this game, than a single meal out which is really the difference to me at least.

I never pass up a turn using design, especially when I have had to get used to the cruel truth, my eyesight can't track motion.

I'd like to be playing Guild Wars 2, but I can't. I'd like to fiddle with Battlefield, but it is a no go. It is no longer relevant what the industry says about non turn using wargames for me. I can't play them.

I have the demo of this on my PSP Go but I only got that for an mp3 player. The screen is just to limited.

This title likely would be a good candidate though for the Android scene on a 10 inch tablet, or Apple for you iNerds :)
MrsWargamer

Re: Took the plunge

Post by MrsWargamer »

Well That's sort of sad, they didn't retain Patton's talking in the PC edition.

It gave the game character. I hope someone manages to offer it back in later.
MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

Groan, the game downloaded fine, the game installed fine, the game runs fine.

But I suck at this games type of controls :)

Going to take a bit of practice. Although anyone used to Combat Mission is going to love this game. They won't have trouble with controls like this game possesses, and the action is really nifty.

Again, don't go looking for a hyper accurate simulation, go into this expecting a great game of hide and seek or silly bugger vs the opposition. Vs a human opponent, I think this game will be very engaging.
DeathMutant
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by DeathMutant »

Thank you for your first-impressions commentary, it is very insightful as to what type of game this is. I am currently at a 75% "Buy" chance but could use a little more details before "pushing the button."

I see there is a (21 mission?) campaign but is there a random mission/map generator, custom scenario development tools, the ability to play as Axis powers (in single-player mode) or any other re-playability options other than difficulty levels? In other words, after I complete the original campaign is there a reason to play again?

Could the RPG elements and tactical combat it be compared to "XCOM: Enemy Unknown?"
MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

I saw somewhere comment about the game being 'finite' in that once you play it through, that is it.

Now that would be a problem if not for it possessing a potential to play multiplayer. After all, Starcraft is finite too (in it's way) and yet gamers play it over and over and over competitively.

I know that games like Close Combat have really only survived due to it being a game where the fan base was really all about it being you vs another human.

But the game if I hear correct does not have an editor. And looking at my interface, that seems to be the case.
It looks like the only way to be the Germans is in Multiplayer (have not tried it yet), but it makes sense, 2 players means someone has to be the Germans eh.

The game does look like it will reward thoughtful playing. And it looks like it might be fair to say playing the Campaigns vs the AI will not be even close to as fun as playing a human trying to kick yer butt :) I know I find Battle Academy only truly shines vs another player to give an example.

Remember, complicated anal levels of accuracy will NOT ensure you like the game. I own War in the East and I have no idea where my head was when I bought it :) Sure it is an awesome detailed game, amazing in detail. But not really what I would call 'fun'.

This game seems like it will either convince people to grab it and have fun with it, or the grogs will simply snub it like they often do, and wargaming will continue to age and dwindle. I must say I saw the thread over at Matrix Games, and I had to laugh, because I have been saying as much since 2005. Wargaming doesn't need over complicated over detailed games, it needs fun games. The only dummying happening in wargaming, is the dummies are insisting (to their own detriment) that a wargame has to look like War in the East to be great. Nope. If you think this game is for dummies, then I guess you will be winning all the time correct?

I can assure you this game will not be any easier to win at than any other wargame. The other bloke won't just roll over and give the win to ya eh.
And you likely won't need 4 months to finish the game.
Johnny77
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by Johnny77 »

This is exceptionally decent and better than average post you shook posting it you rock for posting it........!!!! :roll:

Return to “HISTORY®: Legends of War”