World Generation

4X strategy game from Proxy Studios

Moderators: Pandora Moderators, Slitherine Core

Stuie
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

World Generation

Post by Stuie »

Are there plans to provide more options for world generation? I have never been a fan of maps that wrap east-west AND north-south; would be nice to be able to specify. Also, terrain generation percentages would be cool to mess with - make worlds that are mostly one type of terrain, or increase/decrease prevalence of various types of terrain/water. Finally, support for more than six factions would be cool (knowing how easy it is to mod factions into the game, I'm kind of surprised this isn't supported by default).

Fun game and I hope stuff like the above gets added and that the game sees continued support.
Stuie
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Re: World Generation

Post by Stuie »

I take it nothing like the above has been added in the new expansion? The game really loses a huge amount of replayability without having more map options.
Stuie
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Stuie »

Here's a great example of having tons of world options. This level of control over world generation adds tons to gameplay; not sure why Pandora doesn't have this.
Attachments
worldoptions.png
worldoptions.png (241.48 KiB) Viewed 7134 times
Xilmi
Pandora Community Developer

Post by Xilmi »

As far as I know the option for only east/west-wrapping is planned to be added.
Tac2i
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by Tac2i »

+1
Stuie wrote:Here's a great example of having tons of world options. This level of control over world generation adds tons to gameplay; not sure why Pandora doesn't have this.
Zak0r
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by Zak0r »

There is one new faction in the addon. Also you can add new factions with modding. They also work in MP when all players add them to their data folder in appdata\Proxy Studios\Pandora\
Thebitlocker
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by Thebitlocker »

More options for planets would be great!
Zak0r
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by Zak0r »

It would be very cool for MP to have an option that everyone gets his own island/continent on archipelago or continents or that the factions are evenly split on 2-3 continents. Too often there are overcrowded continents while other factions are isolated.
Apheirox
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Apheirox »

+ Bump.

I imagine the devs have their hands full right now but here are some picks from the top of my wishlist:

- Fractal and Shuffle map scripts (these names are from the Civilization games). Fractal produces a more random map that could have both continents, islands and more. Shuffle produces a truly random map, meaning core settings (world age, temperature, sea level, humidity) are also randomized.

- Pandora doesn't have these more advanced "core settings" (except temperature). It would be great for variety if it did. So, you could choose to play a very old Pandora world (5+ billion years) where the mountains have eroded and minerals are more scarce. Or, a very young world with lots of mountains where all factions can crank out lots of units. The map could be richer in bonus resources than normal, or more scarce.

- [An option for] randomized events and wildlife. You might get a map with heavy megafauna - lots of Galeths roaming the land and more Aspidoch/Leviathan in the sea but fewer Drones and nests - or, the opposite. Maybe Pandora is especially heavy on Scite/Devourer flying creatures, or maybe it has less than normal. Maybe the eclipse phase doesn't happen - maybe it lasts longer or shorter than normal, and happens earlier or later than normal. Maybe the Messari event happens a lot earlier than normal, but they only invade with an infantry task force. Maybe they don't invade at all this particular game.
JurisDocta

Post by JurisDocta »

Apheirox wrote:+ Bump.

I imagine the devs have their hands full right now but here are some picks from the top of my wishlist:

- Fractal and Shuffle map scripts (these names are from the Civilization games). Fractal produces a more random map that could have both continents, islands and more. Shuffle produces a truly random map, meaning core settings (world age, temperature, sea level, humidity) are also randomized.

- Pandora doesn't have these more advanced "core settings" (except temperature). It would be great for variety if it did. So, you could choose to play a very old Pandora world (5+ billion years) where the mountains have eroded and minerals are more scarce. Or, a very young world with lots of mountains where all factions can crank out lots of units. The map could be richer in bonus resources than normal, or more scarce.

- [An option for] randomized events and wildlife. You might get a map with heavy megafauna - lots of Galeths roaming the land and more Aspidoch/Leviathan in the sea but fewer Drones and nests - or, the opposite. Maybe Pandora is especially heavy on Scite/Devourer flying creatures, or maybe it has less than normal. Maybe the eclipse phase doesn't happen - maybe it lasts longer or shorter than normal, and happens earlier or later than normal. Maybe the Messari event happens a lot earlier than normal, but they only invade with an infantry task force. Maybe they don't invade at all this particular game.

That's a good idea although adjusting the Messari invasion may wreck balance. I personally would like to see more resources/tile types.
Stuie
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Stuie »

Thought I'd check in with Pandora... still no additional map options? What a shame. :(
dmantione
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by dmantione »

Sure that might be a disappointment. Nevertheless, what this game needs it not more features. New terrain options require a different play style, for humans but also the AI. The AI is currently the weak spot in the game. Once you develop strategies to defeat the AI, a game looses a lot of fun in the single player mode, which is IMO still more important than multiplayer. The AI is actually being worked on and getting better. Until the AI knows how to utilize all the current options in the game in an intelligent way, I really think no new stuff should be added.
Xilmi

Post by Xilmi »

Have you tried this version: http://www.civforum.de/showthread.php?9 ... ost6658462
yet?

Please give more precise feedback to the AI rather than just saying "it is the weak spot in the game".

I think it is actually quite good compared to other 4x in this version. If you don't think so I'd like to know more about it's weaknesses.
The best would be a Let's Play or so to show what exactly you do to make it seem a weak-spot.
dmantione
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by dmantione »

I'm not criticising your work :) I am explaining why it is a bad idea to add features that may sound cool. You are doing exactly what is needed.

I would love to try your version, and give you feedback, but I really need a Linux build for that :(

Return to “Pandora - First Contact”