hotseat?

4X strategy game from Proxy Studios

Moderators: Pandora Moderators, Slitherine Core

Folket
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

hotseat?

Post by Folket »

I bought this game and was surprised to find it more enjoyable then I expected so I invited my wife to play with me only to find there was no way to play in hotseat.

Why is there no hotseat? I find that the most enjoyable way to play a turn based game.

Are there any plans to add hotseat?
SephiRok
Proxy Studios
Proxy Studios

Re: hotseat?

Post by SephiRok »

Hey Folket,

We would love to add hotseat at a future point.

Best regards.
Rok Breulj
Designer and Programmer
Proxy Studios
Raja

Post by Raja »

I second the suggestion for hot-seat. I have a feeling it would be great fun because of how quickly this game can be played.

Thanks again - truly wonderful game.
vv221
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by vv221 »

Any news on this?
The ability to play with a friend, sitting on the same couch, without the need for multiple licenses and computers, is all that game needs to replace Civ5 for most of my friends ;)

I'm not even looking for an ETA or anything like this, just tell me you're still working on it and I'll be happy.
And if you tell me it's on top of your TODO list, I'll find a way to send you a beer via e-mail!
Debian GNU/Linux « Sid » amd64
ATI/AMD Radeon HD 6670 (radeon free driver)
SephiRok
Proxy Studios
Proxy Studios

Post by SephiRok »

Unfortunately I can't tell you it's on the top of the TODO list. While I fully understand how amazing hotseat can be -- I spent summers playing HOMM 3 and 4 hotseat with my brother and cousin -- there are just more important and more requested things to do. If the Steam release goes well enough and there's enough request for hot-seat, I would still love to do it.

There is one sucky way you can get around it even on one computer. Host a game with multiplayer direct connect. Start another instance of Pandora and direct connect with default parameters. Both instances of Pandora will be in the same game. Obviously not very good at all and has a lot of downsides. But if you're desperate ...
Rok Breulj
Designer and Programmer
Proxy Studios
Raja

Post by Raja »

Just another up-vote for hotseat. I also grew up playing HoMM (mostly 2 & 3) sitting side-by-side with my sister and friends... in fact a good old friend and I sat down to game a few nights ago and after trying our best to find a way to hotseat Pandora (we were in a sci-fi mood), we ended up playing AoW3 instead. Still had a great time, but I really do wish we could play Pandora!
Congratulations on the Steam release by the way; super excited to learn more about the Messari!
vv221
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by vv221 »

SephiRok wrote:There is one sucky way you can get around it even on one computer. Host a game with multiplayer direct connect. Start another instance of Pandora and direct connect with default parameters. Both instances of Pandora will be in the same game. Obviously not very good at all and has a lot of downsides. But if you're desperate ...
Actually, with XFCE multi-desktop feature it might turn out to be quite usable for a dirty hack ;)
And with my modern setup, the double use of resources shouldn't be a problem…

Yeah, I like your idea, I'm gonna give it a try!

PS : It's nice to find HoMM fanatics here, I'm myself a lover of HoMM2.

-----

Didn't try more than a few turns, but your suggestion does work.
With desktop switching assigned to a keyboard shortcut, and music & ambient sounds disabled on one of the two instances, it's almost like hotseat is already here.

Well, it's not perfect, but at least I'm finally able to play Pandora with friends.
Debian GNU/Linux « Sid » amd64
ATI/AMD Radeon HD 6670 (radeon free driver)
dmantione
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by dmantione »

There is one sucky way you can get around it even on one computer. Host a game with multiplayer direct connect. Start another instance of Pandora and direct connect with default parameters. Both instances of Pandora will be in the same game.
With a dual monitor setup this might actually be quite workable: Each player his own monitor. But currently the game always starts on the first monitor. Perhaps adding an possibilty (command line option?) to select the monitor where the game displays would make this workable an might be very little work for you. This would also help me for single player games. I have an Eyefinity setup with 3 times 1600x1200, my first monitor is the left one, while most convenient would be to have the game on the middle monitor.

Return to “Pandora - First Contact”